New Home Came With Neighborhood Strays & Issues Relating

Shangrala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone -

This is my first post to all you wonderful kittypeeps & after nosing through this site, I have no worries that I won't receive awesome advice.

I recently moved to a new neighborhood (only 5 miles from my last home, but an incredible 180 of upgraded difference). And with this new neighborhood came a variety of strays/partial ferals. My last place was located in a very busy, centralized area & I couldn't let my 3 cats outside for fear that they'd end up road kill (like many others), or that my nextdoor neighbor would poison them (as he has admitted to doing to the random strays in the area, 5 of which I was caring for at that time). So, for 9 years they were strictly indoor cats.

After the jackass neighbor admitted to poisoning cats, I stopped feeding strays for fear that they'd make their way into his backyard, eat the poison & end up dying in my yard (as the 5 I cared for had done). A year or so had passed (& about 6 months before I moved), a stray wandered into my backyard & despite that I wouldn't feed her & that she defied my attempts of scaring her off, she remained in my yard. After a couple weeks had passed, I noticed that she was still hanging around. I felt horrible for her, so I caved in & began feeding her....& just prayed that the neighbor wouldn't notice that another stray has homesteaded there. I became attached to her & gave her a name: Tac ("cat" backward). She was clearly processed through the spay/neuter program as her ear was clipped.

When it came time to move, I posted in my local NextDoor.com, asking if anyone in my area would adopt or care for her once I was gone. I included pics of her in hopes that her beauty would convince somebody. One response I received informed me that she was the very same cat that they fed & tried to trap for several years, eventually being successful. Shortly after that, she vanished & they hoped she didn't fall victim to a car on those busy streets. No one wanted to take over her care, so I asked a neighbor friend if he'd take over - I'd supply the food & all he'd have to do is stroll down the street every evening & put food out for her in the spot she was familiar. He agreed, but a few days later upon my visit to check on her, I discovered that she had no food or water out. So, I resumed her care...it was only 5 miles away, so it was no big deal.
I eventually wanted to rehome her at my new place - huge yard, no traffic, QUIET & she'd have the entire backyard to claim as her own. So, I researched several cat sites searching for ideas & everything I read claimed that it's not a good idea to relocate a stray from their familiar surroundings...but, if it cannot be avoided then there were steps required for a successful relocation.
I did everything that the suggestions offered & she's since become a part of the family, except she's outdoors (she won't come inside, no matter how I attempt to entice her). So, I constructed a sound, weather-proof house for her & she's been using it on & off, depending on the elements.
Tac & my 3 boys, Eli, Toto & Digit have accepted each other, except Digit has periodic issues with her, but she takes care of it herself just fine....she even chases off the raccoons that frequent the area! She's become a great watch cat!! (I think Digit tries to bully her because he can't with his brothers. lol. And Digit is the biggest of the 3).

On to my initial reason for creating this post....
When I first moved here, there were several strays that were clearly hungry & no one seeming to be feeding them. I asked the neighbors about them & some told me that one was abandoned & the count increased over time because no one cared for them. But they were okay with them around because they kept the (then problematic) mice population down (my backyard adjoins a bird sanctuary, so lots of field mice, I suppose).

So, I began feeding them. I fed one cat at first, which very quickly increased to 7 within a couple days. Most are strays, allowing me to pet them, but there are a couple that dash into hiding upon the sight of people. Two brother kittens adopted me & have become permanent front yard residents. The rest come & go at random...sometimes just one, other times 5. I used to feed at the same time every evening, but I had to change to the mornings because I discovered that I was hosting a feast for a raccoon that decided to move into one of the tall hollow cosmetic pillars on my front porch (I wouldn't have ever known he was there if I didn't see him come out one night).

Since I have been feeding the kitties, the neighbors (same ones that I initially questioned & who have voiced their acceptance of the cats), have indirectly complained to me about "my" cat problem (one neighbor left a note in my mailbox, though I knew exactly who it was, telling me to stop feeding the cats because they're using her yard as a cat box. And another neighbor complained to my husband that "I" have too many cats) - neither had the balls to confront me, personally, so I ignored them both. (People are fickle creatures...always changing their colors).
None of the cats enter my back yard, but sometimes my cats will go out front, which I discourage because they don't need to - back yard is plenty huge - & it still does sort of concern me that they might not recognize the car danger. So, they've had interaction with the strays.

My question is, how am I to know if any of the strays have illnesses that my cats can contract that could prove to be a concern? My cats are healthy & up to date.

Thanks for drudging through this long post for just one simple question.

- Shangrala

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - As I understand it the worst diseases require contact through saliva, or pee or poop. Others with more knowledge will have more info regarding about how to go about this, but as long as you keep your cats shots' up to date you should be fine I think. You could always talk to your vet and determine if there are any tests on your cats that you should do annually or whether there's something they should be getting a shot for that they aren't already.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Thank you for caring for all these strays/ferals. Are they all spayed, neutered, and vaccinated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shangrala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Thank you for caring for all these strays/ferals. Are they all spayed, neutered, and vaccinated?
As far as I know, with the exception of the two brother kittens (now 7 months old) that have adopted me, none have been fixed. I could be wrong & I'll ask the neighbors to be sure.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be wonderful if you could work on getting them spayed/neutered and vaccinated. The vet could put a notch on their ear so you could tell which ones you already had done. This would probably make your neighbors happy, because if you feed them without fixing them, they will soon multiply to 40 cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it is a huge undertaking, but at least get the females fixed first. Try to find a vet in your area that does ferals for a discount or any vet that will do 'volume discounts'. Older outside cats are pretty healthy, most have built up immunity to many of the disease as they get older. The very young are the ones most at risk. I wouldn't let your house cats out much if you can't be there to supervise, those neighbors don't sound so cat friendly and it could turn tragic. Your cats should be fine as long as they are up to date, but the outside cats are in danger of dying when the population gets too big, distemper spreads like wildfire. I know, I have lost many to this horrible disease. I started out feeding one female and ended up with twenty when she AND her kittens started having babies. It's never ending heartache as I lost most to distemper and the road. Now I get everything fixed that comes into my yard, (my husband tells them to run!), and it is MUCH better, stabilized to 5, no more kittens and no more disease since they were vaccinated when neutered. It cost a lot at first, but much less in the long run when you think of feeding so many. Neutered males stop fighting and stop spraying, THAT would make your neighbors happy. I would print up a flier explaining TNR and say that is what you want to do as soon as you can get the money together (HINT, HINT) they might even donate. Tell the neighbors they are not your cats, but you are not going to let them starve, and you want to care for them. There are sprays and deterrents for cats if they don't want them in their yard. Good luck and keep us posted! PS if you do take some in, make sure it says FERAL, CAUTION WHEN HANDLING! right on the carrier, there are too many careless techs out there that get bit and your cat will be quarantined or worse to check for rabies!

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! You can also enlist the help of a local rescue, if there is one, who may be willing to let you piggyback on their vet discount. The way I work is that I pay the vet directly when the fixing/vacc/testing are all done. We end up keeping everyone we save (we have 12 indoor kitties, 8 of whom came from our yard). Then any future vet bills are charged at the "pet" rate.
I agree, watch out for those neighbors. I'm sorry you had to witness such sad things with the last kitties you were caring for. Best of luck and congrats on your new place!

Shangrala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the great advice.
Next question that I have is...how do I capture these cats? I have no trap for them. When I caught Tac to bring over here, I used my dog's crate - put food inside of it & when Tac entered it, I closed it. So simple, but I was there waiting for her to enter the crate. With these few random kitties that show on & off, I wouldn't know how to capture them, let alone where to get a trap. And if/when I do trap a stray & take them in to be fixed, do they come back here with me? Won't they need time to heal before being released again? I have no idea about the process.

I hear about these rescue services, or vets who provide discounts. And when I looked for some around here, I found only 2. One won't answer their phone & the other takes me to voice mail, which I've left several without ever hearing back from them. I'll try looking again, but why is it so difficult?

Thanks again.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a spare room that you could keep them in for a week or two after spaying? Are they feral or friendly strays? If they are really feral, you'll probably have to use a trap. But if they are friendly, you could probably take them in a carrier.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Where are you located? Are there any other organizations who would rent a trap to you, or even let you have one or help you with the process of trapping?
It's possible that the ones you're calling aren't answering the phone due to being understaffed and that they're too busy, which isn't an excuse but might be the situation.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the great advice.
Next question that I have is...how do I capture these cats? I have no trap for them. When I caught Tac to bring over here, I used my dog's crate - put food inside of it & when Tac entered it, I closed it. So simple, but I was there waiting for her to enter the crate. With these few random kitties that show on & off, I wouldn't know how to capture them, let alone where to get a trap. And if/when I do trap a stray & take them in to be fixed, do they come back here with me? Won't they need time to heal before being released again? I have no idea about the process.

I hear about these rescue services, or vets who provide discounts. And when I looked for some around here, I found only 2. One won't answer their phone & the other takes me to voice mail, which I've left several without ever hearing back from them. I'll try looking again, but why is it so difficult?

Thanks again.
Hi! If you don't mind my asking, where are you located?
Have you looked at the Alley Cat Allies web site? I think they have a rescue locator section and/or cheap spay/neuter resources section. Are you willing to contribute $ to the cost of the spay/neuter? If so, I'd make that clear in your messages to the rescue. Some of them are so strapped for money that they might not do anything due to lack of funds (not sure).
There are some ASPCA-sponsored mobile spay/neuter clinics--check their web site.
I think TNR'd cats need at least 24 hours post-op to recover. Healing is easier for the boys. Girls I would try to hang onto for at least 48 hrs. If you are in a cold part of the US, I would hold off on the TNR because of the stresses of recovery when the weather is bad (i.e. life is tough enough already for them).
Hope this helps a bit.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I forgot about the cold weather. It's below zero here right now. Females have their stomach shaved for spaying, so it may be better to wait until the weather warms up a bit if you are going to be releasing them after.

Shangrala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all & thanks for replying.
I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area (east side, closer to Oakland). The coldest it's been is low 40s, but that's rare, so weather isn't really too much of an issue aside from seasonal rain, if we're lucky.
I do not have a spare room to keep them in, but I do have the huge outdoor monkey cage (used for my Amazon parrot during summer months) that I converted for Tac when I brought her home & needed to contain her for a month. I haven't changed it back for my bird yet, so that's a very sensible option.
The kitty cluster is about a 50/50 mix of feral & strays. I'm not completely sure of the sexes of the ferals with the exception of the one black cat that I've named Dick (because he acts like one..lol). I've caught him marking, so that pretty much clarified his gender. I suspect there are two females, though.
I'll check into the suggestions that you all have made & see what results I come up with. I have looked into the Alley Cat website & it was of no help. What I can do is call the vets & see if they have any suggestions, as well.

One more thing, which is completely unrelated to the kitty cluster, but I'm in dire need of some answers.
I have my 3 indoor/outdoor cats. One of them, Toto, has suddenly begun to use the upstairs throw rugs as his cat box. And as you all know, cat waste is a HORRIBLE smell - even when it is outside, lol. He has access to the litter box if he needed it, but since we moved here (a year in April), all 3 cats have favored using outside vs the box.
Suddenly, for no apparent reason, Toto has started wasting upstairs. My hub is furious about it & rightfully so! I'm not thrilled over it either & it needs to stop asap.
We just finished going through months of potty issues with our 7 year old mini poodle after she was diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. As she gradually declined from the illness, her loss of control increased. It eventually took her life just last week, unfortunately. I miss her terribly, but was thankful the messes were overwith. And now this, which, imo, is worse!!!!!

Do any of you have any idea why a cat would suddenly begin to waste indoors? Nothing has changed in the structure of his daily life since we moved here. He never had a problem using the box IF he needed to & that box remained unused for months - only time I found anything in there was during the rainy days when they remained inside. This behavior of his is unacceptable & I have to do something (aside from what hub is saying .... & getting "rid of him" is not an option). Help?

Thanks all. I appreciate it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My female cat poops outside of the litterbox when she is constipated. I give her hairball treats or paste every other day and it helps with the constipation. I also make sure she gets some canned food every day for the moisture.

Shangrala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat poops outside of the litterbox when she is constipated. I give her hairball treats or paste every other day and it helps with the constipation. I also make sure she gets some canned food every day for the moisture.
The litter box is downstairs near outside door. Toto is wasting upstairs in master room bath - furthest from his box. lol. I wonder if it's digestive issues - runny poops. I'll keep an eye on him & if poop consistency doesn't change soon, I'll take him in for checkup.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I'm the crazy one with 12 strictly indoor cats in 1600 sq ft.. How many litter boxes do you have? Vets/behaviorists says you should have one per cat plus one, so that would be four boxes. Are you great about scooping? Any recent changes in brand or type of litter? Kitties are rather particular about their potties. Also, they kind of express their emotions through their bladders. If you do not have signs of a UTI (straining to pee in the box or elsewhere, blood in urine, and/or crying while trying to go), then it could be either displeasure about litter situation or an expression of stress or unhappiness. As sad as it is, the health situation with your dog may have affected your kitty's view on life. I'm very sorry about your dog, too. That is tough.
We have 14 litter boxes and scoop 2x a day. We still have one cat who "pees politically"--basically whenever she's annoyed or feels slighted, she pees on vertical surfaces like walls/baseboards. It's our fault because we have too many cats, though.
I'd also recommend buying some "Cat Attract" litter made by Dr. Elsey's. You'd need to buy it at a PetSmart or online, most likely. It really helps. Also clean floors with Nature's Miracle and wash the heck outta those rugs so they're not "drawn" back to the scene of the urinary crime. =)
Let us know how it's going.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is his poop runny? If the poop hurts coming out, either too hard or too soft, they tend to avoid the litterbox, kind of like they think the litterbox is hurting them. Also, it might help to have a litterbox upstairs, maybe he can't make it in time.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The litter box is downstairs near outside door. Toto is wasting upstairs in master room bath - furthest from his box. lol. I wonder if it's digestive issues - runny poops. I'll keep an eye on him & if poop consistency doesn't change soon, I'll take him in for checkup.
Stress can give them the poops, sometimes. Any sudden diet changes? That can wreak havoc with their GI tracts. Personally I'd set up an open (no lid) litter box in your bathroom, or right near it, so he may be more inclined to go in the appropriate vessel. You're a good mommy..definitely take to vet, or even drop off a poop sample (YAY) sooner rather than later if you can.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - I'm so sorry to hear about your dog!!
So, is Toto peeing, pooping or both in the wrong place? you could, as mentioned, put a litter box by where he's going, also I've read that putting some potting soil in the box sometimes can help getting them back into the box. You could also put down some puppy training/pee pads to help with cleanup if necessary.

I'm hoping you consider making your indoor/outdoor cats indoor only, particularly while you are working to determine what's going on with runny poo.

Even if your three are up to date with everything, I personally think that all the cats outside are creating a stressful situation for your cats, but houseofnine houseofnine might be closer to the mark regarding the loss of your dog effecting everyone.

Regarding the stink, I wanted to mention that you might also consider a change of food, or at least an addition. As an example, I add a couple of nuggets of a store bought frozen raw food to the Big Guy's regular canned food, and the litter box smell has decreased a lot. You could also consider adding some kibble to Toto's diet if he doesn't get any, sometimes I've had luck with that.
Hang in there!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with you about having a stressor with the inside/outside cats as well as a colony you are feeding close by. There might not be a tie in to the move, presence of colony and toto’s “statements “ on your rug. But I bet if you spend some time observing toto’s behavior outside you’ll find a recently “new” cat to the colony is stressing him.
Also you might try a litter box at the spot where he poos.

Just a some thoughts.

I know it’s hard but try to be as patient as you can. I read where one of the most cited reasons for relinquished cats to shelters is litter box issues. People just don’t take the time to understand what’s going on. Hang in there. We are all pulling for Toto and you.