New here--sick cat with pyothorax or chylothorax

81lives

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. My cat, Nala, is about 12 years old and otherwise very healthy. A week ago she became lethargic and short of breath, so we took her to the vet where they drew 200ml of fluid from her chest. The vet at first thought it was pyothorax, and put her on antibiotics. That was last Wednesday (7/6), and she went back to the vets for antibiotic shots and to drain the fluid on both Thursday and Friday. The fluid drained had decreased to 60ml on Friday.

Our vet was closed Saturday and Sunday, and she did moderately well at home with us--still lethargic, but at least no worse than she was on Wednesday.

She returned to the vet yesterday (Monday), where he drew 150ml of fluid from her chest. He once again drained 150ml when we took her today. The vet said the fluid should have lessened more than that, and now suspects chylothorax. He sent samples of the fluid off to a lab for testing, but we won't know anything until Friday or so.

Pyothorax sounds like a grim enough diagnosis, but chylothorax sounds even worse. I am absolutely sick with worry, and to make things worse, dreadfully confused about these two diseases and what to expect. Does anyone have any experience with either? I can't find much information on either one anywhere, but what I have read seems to suggest that the drainage process for a cat with pyothorax lasts 5-10 days. Since we have been draining for 7 (including Sat and Sun, though no draining occurred on those days), I don't know if we should suspect the worst just yet; on the other hand, it seems strange that after decreasing so much on Friday, the fluid volume would be so high today.

I don't know what to think; whether to prepare myself for the worst, or try and stay hopeful. I alternate between being on the verge of tears, my stomach in knots, and feeling hopeful and optimistic that she might pull through. I am sorry to post such a long message as my first post, but I am desperate. Can anyone offer any advice, experience, or knowledge about this?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh your post touched me so.

I just want to offer my prayers and vibes for you and your precious little one. And to bump up the post so someone with experience will take notice.

You are in my thoughts.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, your poor little girl, my heart goes out to you. I don't have personal experience with this but I know of a kitty who went through a similar ordeal.

It took a while until the kitty recovered, and she was on heavy antibiotics for quite a while once they figured out what bacteria they were dealing with. I don't remember what type of bacteria she fought.

I will be thinking of you and your baby and am sending tons of healing vibes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

81lives

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much. At this point, even a few words of support mean so much.

Just got back from the vet--he drained 180ml of fluid today.

He seems pretty sure it is chylothorax. He also seems pretty sure that she's not going to make it. But he is only one person; I don't know that I should take his opinion as fact. He said chylothorax is 'almost always' caused by lymphoma, which from what I've read, is not necessarily true. So...I just don't know what to think.

I feel so bad for my poor baby girl. She has been more active today for some reason, hiding when it was time to go and trying to go outside when we got home. She seems very weak though, and she's not eating. It's so hard to know what to do--I don't want her to suffer, but I don't want to give up too soon. It's selfish, but I want more time with her.

I just wish I knew more about this disease. Why, and how, does so much fluid build up in 24 hours? Does this sound like others' experience with this illness? I wonder if the rate of fluid buildup has anything to do with it not being drained continuously. I still don't understand why our vet didn't take that route (chest tubes/catheter) right away when he suspected pyothorax.

We should have the results of the smear by Friday. The vet said not to bring her tomorrow, which I'm sure she will be happy about. He said it shouldn't hurt to miss the dose of antibiotics, since he doesn't think it is pyothorax; but this worries me, because if he is wrong, getting meds everyday is crucial. I guess all we can do now is pray, and shower her with love.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know these are empty words, but I am so sorry. They just don't seem sufficient.

I have stood in your shoes before. And will again.

I never underestimate the power of prayer, for I have seen it work when my granddaughter was very ill.

So all I can offer are my praryers and virtual hugs. Know we care and no one is ever alone here. The kitties in need become all of our kitties.

God bless and have faith. Your kitty is so lucky to have you. You mean the world to her.

81lives

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. Your post really touched my heart, and brought tears to my eyes...especially those last 2 sentences.

My darling girl passed away this morning. I prayed that God would not let her suffer long, and thankfully, He granted that prayer. I am so indescribably sad, and miss her so much already...when I walk into a room, or come upon one of her favorite napping spots, I half expect to find her there, or hear her little voice calling me over (she was very vocal). But if she had to go, I am glad she was able to go on her own, surrounded by me and my mom, and in a place that was comfortable and familiar to her.

Thank you so much, again, for your support. I feel like I am the one who was lucky, to have her and her love.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so, so sorry to read this.

She went with her loved ones around her. What more can we ask, to pass in loves light?

She is with you now in your heart. Always. All my kitties that have gone on are in my heart, and honestly, it brings me comfort.

I hope you can soon look back with smiles and not tears at your precious girl. That is the way she would want it.

God Bless her and may she be chasing butterflies at the Bridge as I write this.

Find peace, friend. You did fine by her.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read your update, tears are rolling down my face. Your sweet baby girl was granted a wonderful life with you and a loving passing to the bridge. You are both very lucky to have found each other. But then it was meant to be...

RIP little angel and stop by and comfort your hoomans, let them know all is well again

81lives

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your kind, supportive words. I wanted to write something up about her in the Rainbow Bridge section, but I just haven't had the strength yet to write something worthy of her.

In a way, I am still in shock about it. It doesn't feel real; I can hardly believe she's gone. The ache in my heart is the worst thing I've ever felt. And it's strange, since I have 8 other cats, but the house seems so empty and quiet without her. They are trying their best to comfort me, and I am trying to be strong for them, but the pain is still so fresh, and the emotion so strong.

We took her to be cremated yesterday. I think it will be a comfort to know that she is always with me and won't be left behind if I move. The vet spoke to us when we took her, and said the test results confirmed the chylothorax. He said she must have had an underlying issue, probably cancer, that made it progress so quickly. It breaks my heart to think that she must have been sick for a while and we didn't know...but I am glad she is not suffering anymore, and back to her old self at the Bridge. I hope she is being gentle with the butterflies.

This morning I had a vague memory of her showing up in one of my dreams last night; I can't remember what the dream was about, but I remember she looked healthy and happy. Call me crazy, but I have been 'visited' in my dreams before by animals and people I've lost, and I really tend to believe that is their way of letting us know they are ok--and maybe even saying hi.

Rest in peace my sweet angel.
Mommy will see you again someday.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The love you have for your little Nala trancends time and space.

Take care of yourself. Nala is in good hands now.

God bless.

81lives

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to thank everyone who posted--your words of support and sympathy meant a lot to me, and have been one of few means of comfort in this time. I've read over this thread more times than I can count in the last few days, and it has really helped me to find some semblance of peace about the loss of my girl.

She has shown up in my dreams every night since her passing. I have never dreamed of the same thing so many times in a row; I guess I can't know for sure whether that means anything, but I am so happy and comforted to see her, either way.

It's amazing how conscious our animals are of our feelings. 3 of my cats in particular have really gone out of their way to comfort me, snuggling up to me in unusual places or at unusual times and giving me extra kisses. After a couple days of my gazing mournfully at the empty couch (Nala's favorite spot, she slept on top of it every night), one of my cats has started sleeping on the cushion right below where Nala slept. This comforts me a bit, somehow.

Thanks again, everyone. It helps to know there are others who understand the deep love and connection we have with our furry babies.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am convinced she has been visiting you in your dreams to let you know she is OK and to help your grief and sorrow. And how sweet that your other babies are helping you in these very difficult times

kritta1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello 81lives,

I am so sorry for your loss.

I went through a very similar situation last October. Our 3 year old girl Marley was diagnoised with Chylothorax. It was very discouraging because there really is not a lot of information out there. The only thing that I could find was that when cat would get this, it is BAD.

We tried to use the Rutin method but it really didn't do anything. We found she had this disease by simply noticing that she was breathing weird. We took her in right away and they did a chest x-ray. The next thing we knew, she was heading to the ER for chest tap. The fluid continued to return and after I don't know how many chest taps she had, we finally came to the conclusion that surgery was her only option. It sounded promising, but unfortunately it was not successful.

She went through an incredibly invasive major surgery and she simply could not recover from it. She kept arresting and it came down to having to make the hardest decision of our lives.

We had pet insurance and because of her age we felt the surgery was worth it. I'm not so sure now, because I feel bad for putting her through all that.

It was hard to say goodbye to our little girl.. We will forever miss our Marley.

We still have Marley's friend Ziggy and a new friend Ky-Mani... We have also added two fosters to the bunch.... It was very hard on Ziggy, but having some friends around has definately made it better..

Sorry again for your loss..I am working really hard to get the word out about this condition so if anyone else has to go through it, maybe they can get more information then just ITS BAD.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 81lives

I want to thank everyone who posted--your words of support and sympathy meant a lot to me, and have been one of few means of comfort in this time. I've read over this thread more times than I can count in the last few days, and it has really helped me to find some semblance of peace about the loss of my girl.
Have you visited our "Crossing the Bridge" section of the forum?

Also, you might want to check out www.petloss.com.