New here, Pregnant Stray!

gbsrf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do dog rescue, and just took in a stray cat who is VERY pregnant. This is my first experience with a prenant cat so I need help! I took her to the vet yesterday, her temp was normal and she is eating a lot so I do not think the babies are imminent. But I think she will deliver this week! Here are pictures.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS...my what a pretty plump girl you have there. Well...as someone who tries to greet new members, I just wanted to point out this link that is chock full of information on caring for a pregnant cat:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74659

Also...please feel free to read the other posts in this forum as they contain a wealth of personal experiences.

Katie

BTW...I volunteer with a dog and cat rescue group here in Virginia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gbsrf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it is hard to tell from pictures, but does she look close to delivery?

If you had to guess, how many babies do you think she will have?

I am excited!

cookandcompany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's a big girl, My guess is 4 kittens. She is very pretty. I am hoping for a nice easy delivery & little fat babies.
Good luck!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GBSRF

I know it is hard to tell from pictures, but does she look close to delivery?

If you had to guess, how many babies do you think she will have?

I am excited!
GBSRF..I don't like relying on pictures....here is what I found:

During the first 4-5 weeks of pregnancy, there are few noticeable changes. Weight gain and enlargement of the abdomen generally become noticeable after the fifth week. The increase, of course, varies with the size of the litter. The mammary glands may begin to enlarge during the fifth week, but typically no increase in size is noticed until the seventh week. Milk is normally present 1-2 days before delivery.