New here & New mom to ferals .. need some advice?!?

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I think you are great, for doing all you are doing!! (and that goes for ALL the other posters who are working at bettering the lives of other kitties and animals in their little corner of the world!!!)
I feed a colony of kitties at the edge of our town. I believe there are about 30 or more cats there now. We are constantly working at catching kitties to spay/neuter etc... We find good homes for them, when they are ready, and if they are too feral, they go back to the grainmill, where they lived, to begin with! I have a bunch of boxes and Rubbermaid containers (and just got some styrofoam coolers to put up there too! --YAY!
) The Rubbermaid containers are great too, as I just cut a hole in the right lower side of the lid and turned the box on it's side after using those industrial-weight ties, to keep the lid attached to the container. I lined all the boxes with Mylar and newspaper and put straw in it and also wool cloth (was donated by GoodWill when I went up there and told them what I needed it for!) The kitties were a bit nervous at first, to go inside them, but pretty soon, ALL of the boxes are WELL occupied!!!!

Thanks for being such a GOOD kitty friend to your kitties!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you start with the kittens you have a good chance of taming them. My Dushka and Persil were both feral street kittens and are now utter lap cats. It is wonderful to gain the trust of a cat. Good luck with all of them.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you haven't read it this article should help you find your way with your ferals once they are inside. Feeding them is fine, but the more food you put out, the more ferals will come. Unless you can find a group to help spay and neuter, you will have territorial fights going on, inbreeding and other problems.

Best of luck-

http://www.thecatsite.com/content/view/48/28/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animalprint4me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
halfpint ~
on catching & having your 10 ferals fixed & vaccinated!!! Thats awesome & a
to you for taking of them !!!

Missy&Spikesmom ~ ty for the Rubbermaid container idea .. will def. check those out at Walmart next time Im there! And wow 30 cats!!! You have your hands full ...
to you too for taking care of them!! Its so nice to know Im not alone!

Jennyranson ~ I know you said you got Dushka & Persil when they were kittens ... about how old were they? Did you find "taming" them to be difficult?

Hissy ~ Thank you for that link Im going now to check it out!!!

**Just to let everyone know .. not sure if I have posted this yet or not but I got in touch w/ the Richmond SPCA and I have appointments on Feb. 7th & 14th to have however many of my ferals I trap, neutered, given a rabies vaccine & dewormed!!! **

gargoyle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by animalprint4me

**Just to let everyone know .. not sure if I have posted this yet or not but I got in touch w/ the Richmond SPCA and I have appointments on Feb. 7th & 14th to have however many of my ferals I trap, neutered, given a rabies vaccine & dewormed!!! **
Excellent! Great job on arranging this so quickly and before spring!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the THANK YOU for getting appointments for these ferals before the Spring..you are saving so many.

Katie