New here! I just got a new cat and I have some questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mistersprinkles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

If you decide on clumping litter make sure to keep an eye on your kitten for a while and see if it eats the litter or just nibbles it out of curiosity and then leaves it be. I always wait until my cats get past that put everything in their mouths phase. Until I'm sure I can trust my kitties with the clumping litter I use the plain old Tidy Cats clay litter, it's none clumping but it smells better than the corn/paper litters I tried. When you want to introduce the clumping litter to the litter you are using now just add in a little at a time to see how the kitten does with it.

I know the normal clay litter and other safer litters can smell or are harder to keep clean but they won't block your cat like clumping litter can so it's worth it until you switch over.
I didn't realize they could chew the litter. I'll wait in that case. What age should I wait until to introduce clumping litter?

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really think it's unusual for clumping litter to present a problem. I think most of the warnings are aimed at very small kittens. It's always a good idea to pay attention to your cat's behavior, but I doubt that it will eat the litter. OTOH, I do own a little stock in a company that makes clay litter...

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep using whatever the cat likes as long as you don't actually see him eat litter.  That's my advice.  There's no need to switch to non-clumping clay which most people don't like.

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you don't see your kitten eating the litter then it's fine. I wouldn't look to much into it. I had one kitten that would not stop eating clumping litter so I went to regular clay litter for a while. All of my other cats never presented any issues eating it except for the usual put this in my mouth to see what it is.