New here. Help with new kitten?

momcat2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On friday we found a lady that was going ti let kittens out. She have 4 or 5 of them to 2 teenage girls. There was one little guy left and i felt bad she was going to let him go so i took him in. He smelled like pee and was covered in fleas. We've been treating the fleas and giving him baths and brushing him. However i cant get him to go in the litter box to ise the bathroom. We have multiple litter boxs, they are always clean, i put him in the litter box evey couple hrs. I feed him the same time 3x a day since he isnt eating alot at one time yet. Any ideas other than what im doing to get him to use it? Im going to move the litter box and his food into the bathroom so he will learn to eat and then use the litter box. ANY help i will ve greatful. I think he is about 6-8 weeks which i know is young because my other cat was a rescue i got at 6 weeks but he took right to it. Im pretty sure winston is using the bathroom some place else i just havent found it and ive searched the whole house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momcat2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Today he finally went in the box. He is scared to go into my laundry room off the kitchen so i moved his food and box into the bathroom off the living room and that seems to be ok with him.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hello! you can also try putting accidents in the box, if he poops outside of it. If he wees outside, then the important thing is to kill off the smell, bicarb soda and a light acid such as lemon or vinegar will work to clear the stain and neutralise the smell, but make sure he isn't around the area when you clean and that it's dry when you let the animals near it again. If you can, it's better to have him in areas that are tiled or have lino down so it's easier to clean.

For him not eating much, he may still have been dependent on mum's milk, try getting some KMR and crushing a few kibble and also offering KMR on the side. As he shows more interest in the mix lay off the milk and let him eat the solids, at 8 weeks, he should be able to eat the kitten kibble properly. failing this, try wet kitten food, or stew meat so it is very very soft with no seasoning. at 6-8 weeks he should be putting on weight fairly quickly, weigh him every few days and keep a record to take to the vet.

It's great you've taken him in!

momcat2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. He ate well today. I was trying to astablish the area he will eat and potty off the bat with him but he is very skidish still. Ive moved his food and box closer to the living room where he stays. Im afraid to move the box into the living room becayse i dont want him to think its ok to always use the bathroom there. He also is eating wet and i offer dry. Until we get to the vet next week im going to keep him on the grain free food my other cat is on and some wet food. I dont think he needs the milk because he is eating some. If he stops or eats less ill definitely get him some.

Im glad we were able to help him. He is super sweet and his has already bonded with my other male cat which has amazed me! He is alot of work tho. We are fighting fleas and worms right now but hopefully the next week we will have fought both and won. Lol. Thank you all for the help [emoji]128150[/emoji]

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy has been through so much. One of my rescues lived on my street for quite a while. I can't imagine doing that for even one night.

momcat2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know. Bith of my cats have come to me from poor circumstances. He is super sweet and happy tho so im greatful. Im very surprised at how well he has bonded with my other cat. Im even more surprised that my other male cat has taken to him and babies and cleans him all day long lol. Ive always heard " 2 male cats are trouble in one house" i was worried with him being from outside he would adjuat to the litter box but he seems to have gotten it ok. We have our first vet visit this weekend. Im suer nervous because the vet said to test him for leukemia and if its positive we will have to put him down there. [emoji]128543[/emoji]. Ive looked it up i don't see anything that would say he has it but im not a pro at cat illnesses. Hopefully it all works out and we can schedule all his shot and his neuter. [emoji]128522[/emoji]