New Here, Concerns About Orphaned Kittens

Lianne_Crazy_Foster_Lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Im single, live a lone and have no children. I foster kittens for my local SPCA. I've been fostering for seven years and love it but I still find myself filled with questions, insecurity and concerns. As much as I value the local SPCA, their support of kitten care for their foster people is pretty limited.

I am currently fostering two litters of kittens that I'm housing together. The first litter has two kittens who are probably 5-6 weeks old and the second litter has five kittens who are about 4 weeks old.

I'm concerned with the size of six of the kittens. All five of the younger group seem thin, have no meat on them and are light in weight when I pick them up. One of the older two kittens doesn't seem to be growing as well as his sibling is. I often mistake him for one of the younger kittens where his siblings is noticeably larger, more active and playful. All seven kittens are eating wet food on their own. I was syringe feeding the younger five but they figured out eating on their own last Monday (today is Sunday). The six I'm concerned about all sleep a lot, which I expect, but when they are awake they cry constantly. The SPCA provides the food for the kittens. Right now they have Iams kitten kibble available but I haven't seen any of them at that bowl. Unfortunately, the wet food I'm given is based on what is donated by the community so it changes frequently. I do try to choose cans of better quality food but those are rare to find. I'm not in a financial position to purchase their food myself so I have to rely on the inconsistent donations.

All of the kittens are urinating and defecating without stimulation. The two older kittens use the litter box all the time, at least I haven't caught them going outside the box. The younger five sometimes use the box and often don't. They are able to get in and out of the litter box, I've tested them. And all five have used the litter box some of the time but there is still a lot of piles of feces on the floor of their crate which they then walk through or lay in. When they eat, they often lay on their bellies in the middle of the plate, nudging the meat with their nose and kneading with their paws. I know they are simulating eating from their mother but, in the process, they make themselves filthy and gross. Because they are filthy and gross, I don't want to hold or cuddle with them because then I smell like cat meat and feces. Yum.

Bathing them is a big job. It take a lot of time, creates a lot of laundry (so does changing the linens in their crate) and I worry they'll get chilled after they are bathed. However, they are so filthy that wiping them down with a cloth isn't effective. Whether they are bathed or wiped down, within minutes of returning to their crate, they lay in their food plate, defecate and walk through it or they climb into the litter box and the (non clumping) litter sticks to them and they need a bath again.

I work long hours. I'm up at 5:30 to shower, make my bed, make my lunch, eat breakfast, clean litter boxes, clean the seven kittens' crate, feed all the fosters (I have other fosters besides these little ones) get dressed and pack my bag before heading out the door at 9am to catch the bus. I get home from work/commute around 8pm and am mentally fried. I feed all the animals, unpack my lunch and cook a quick dinner/next day's lunch, clean the seven kittens' crate again, throw the dirty kitten linens in the laundry, bathe the dirty kittens if I have to and try to be in bed between 10-11 so I can get up to do it all over again.

I don't know what to do to ensure they are eating enough and that their bodies are absorbing enough of what they need to grow and develop. I don't know how to get them to use the litter box more consistently and, I don't know how to keep them clean. Most importantly, I don't know what to do about the constant crying when they are awake.

I feel like I'm failing these babies. I feel like I'm doing the bare minimum to keep them fed and a little happy but it's not nearly enough (hence the constant crying) and yet I don't have much more time or mental energy to give them.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The poor little muffins deserve better.

dm.nicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are doing an amazing thing for taking care of these kittens.
Try putting some KMR in their food. It should help them put on some weight and possibly be more appeasing to them so they eat more. They may just be eating enough to hold them over and then cry for milk. At 4 weeks old they just may not be ready to be completely done with milk/bottles. The 5-6 week old one just may be behind a little and that's no problem.
One of my hand raised kittens over the summer refused to wean from the bottle until she was 8 weeks, where as her siblings started self-weaning as early as 4 weeks. So, I know it's stressful and makes you feel like you are letting them down.

As far as bathing constantly, maybe see if you can get some of those waterless shampoo wipes for cats and wipe them down really well so all the food and feces are off them, and give them really thorough baths a couple times a week. It should save a lot of time rather than bathing all of them.

For their food, what are you feeding them in? I broke down and bough separated plates for kids and put the kitten food in it to prevent my fosters from spreading the food everywhere. I had to use 2 plates (they were split in 3's), but it worked better than a regular plate, and gave each kitten their own space. Maybe that will help a little.

For litter training, when you are home and see them poop, do you throw it away? Or put it in the litter pan and then put the kitten that pooped in the pan with it? Do the kitties cry when they poop? It may help to grab them and put them in the litter pan when they cry, to help teach them where to go. Even if they end up not pooping in there, it reminds them.

maggielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Blessings to you for all the work you do to save the foster kittens. Without your care, I suspect many would be euthanized due to having no one to take care of them. I, too, foster kittens for an animal rescue group so I can empathize with your feelings. Is there anyone in your extended family who could help you with the kitten cleaning and feeding? Or is there a volunteer in your SPCA who could relieve you for a few hours during the week? You need to take care of yourself like you do the kittens so you'll still feel like kitten volunteering for a long time. Maybe you could accept fewer kittens? We don't want a loving caretaker like you to burn out. I always look forward to getting the kittens to the age they are litter box trained well, and eat food by themselves. There's still work to be done, but not so much then.

I know what you mean about how the kitten crates get soiled with poop and food. It is a never ending job and when you get the kittens cleaned up and dry, they are just precious! Then the next day, there they are again looking like they'd never had a bath, right? It is discouraging, but remember you are doing your best for them and some, without you, might have no home at all. I wish someone would come up with a great kitten feeding dish that they couldn't walk in, or fall into. Anyone know of anything like that? I have found that wrapping soiled kittens in an extra large wash cloth ( I just cut up an old towel into x-large pieces) when I am cuddling them is great for keeping the food and poop off me until I can clean the kittens properly.

Lianne, I had trouble viewing your question on this site. When I hit the email button to take me here, it always said an error occurred. I had to go to the site using a different listing, and search the pregnant cat and kitten section for your letter. I really wanted to reply as I feel you deserve the help. Possibly, others have had the same problem. I hope they can get the link fixed so you can get lots of good advice because I'm afraid I have done little but recognize how very much work you put into those precious kitties. I know many foster kitten families may be getting somewhat exhausted after the long kitten season, but hang in there, and take it a day at a time. It can get better. Thank you and best wishes to you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As said, goats milk is relatively cheap and good nourishment...

Raw goats milk has some edge if they have tendencies for diarrhea or other problems, but may be difficult to find, and is of course more pricey.
Canned or dryed goats milk is OK food, mild too. And not very costly. Just take a full fat version, no funny low fat diet variations.

As alternative may be full fat plain youghurt, which is even cheaper.

They are big enough now to eat more substantial food, so Im not saying you shall give goats milk instead. But its a very good supplement, as they are hungry and thin. Ie give goats milk instead of water.