New Here. Cat with amputated back leg...grooming question

StormyPeak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

About a year ago, I ended up with a cat who's back right let was amputated.
Upon occasion, I see her turning her head towards her stump and see her stump moving as if she trying to scratch her head, so of course, I help her out.

However, I got to thinking too, that I read there were some glands or something around the cat's head, that they like to utilize when grooming their selves. And I was wondering where they are located, and if I should be rubbing that area and moving oils down the right side of her neck, or back of her neck where her front paws can't reach?

I've notice, maybe due to a balance issue that she doesn't seem to groom her head too often...but then, maybe cats don't do that on a daily or every other day basis? I've had cats for years, but just never took that much notice of that kind of grooming...just the licking basically.

I do brush her often, as when I first got her I noticed a lot of undercoat hair build up, just above her front right shoulder. She has a very dense, coat...not exactly a short/slick one but dense and even looking medium coat.

I named her Thump, because when she goes across the floor...she goes..thump, thump, thump, thump. : )
She's about 2 years old now.

Any comments about if I should be taking more care in moving oils around her head, neck, and how often and where to even start rubbing/grooming her for that purpose would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Stormy

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
However, I got to thinking too, that I read there were some glands or something around the cat's head, that they like to utilize when grooming their selves. And I was wondering where they are located, and if I should be rubbing that area and moving oils down the right side of her neck, or back of her neck where her front paws can't reach?

I've notice, maybe due to a balance issue that she doesn't seem to groom her head too often...but then, maybe cats don't do that on a daily or every other day basis? I've had cats for years, but just never took that much notice of that kind of grooming...just the licking basically.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Can you get something like this for her to self groom? This will help her have her head scratched as she groom herself on it while she can't use her handle to scratch.

IMG_4305.JPG

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They also have a suction cup version like that! What about a boar bristle brush to help move oils? But also, try not to worry too much. I've had cats with various grooming habits. Some like every hair perfect and others just do it as a task. If she starts looking like a hobo cat, then you can help her! 🙂

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a semi-long haired cat with a missing left rear leg. His name is Tiger. When I got him, he had thicker and tangled fur on the left side of his head.

"Oil glands (also called sebaceous glands) secrete an oily substance called sebum into the hair follicles and onto the skin. They are present in large numbers on the face, paws, back of the neck, rump, chin, and tail area." Karen A. Moriello
, DVM, DACVD, Department of Medical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin-Madison from the Merck Veterinary Manual

According to this, there are multiple oil glands on the face and back of neck. As long as you are brushing these areas first, I would think that the oil should be spread. I use a metal comb, a boar bristle brush and his favorite, a slicker brush with coated tips.

Also, I got some corner scratchers and put them on a post. They are made to put on wall corners or corners of furniture. I put them on a post because he can get to them better there. All my cats like it, but he loves it. Here is a picture.

1700539753897.png

I screwed two 2"x4" pine boards (not pressure treated) together and then screwed them to an old cat scratcher base.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi S Stump S and WELCOME to TCS!It's nice to meet you and your baby Thump-I immediately thought of Thumper,Bambi's rabbit friend-so cute!

Great suggestions for Thump to have a little self grooming station.To be honest the hind legs are not used for grooming oneself ,scratching an itch for sure but as far as grooming the head,face and neck kitties use their front paws - they lick the fur and get those paws good n wet ahd wash their face head and neck -they csn easily scratch behind their ears to with the side of their paw utilizing those dew claws

So try not to worry so much,no doubt Thump thoroughly enjoys his " person" lending a hand but he's absolutely fine and well equipped to groom himself...... tripod kitties adjust well and living with these little darlings is not much different than those with 4legs except ( as you've noticed) they go " Thump Thump thump".Aside from low sided litter boxes for easier access there's not much elsd they need help with in a safe forever home with a loving pet parent----

God Bless you & Thump❤and Happy Thanksgiving!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StormyPeak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone. Sorry for the delay in responding to the posts. Internet issues...ugh.

I will try some kind of attachment on her kitty condo. I have another cat, Song, who might use it too. But, yeah, being able to rub against some kind of brush for when itching or to help groom, would be something I think both cats would do.

Thump also tends to lay down on her right side too, so her fur seems to get more 'compacted' together for lack of a better word. It's not knots...just the hairs clump to each other.

She's a fast, agile cat for not having a right back leg, and while I feel bad she ended up like she did, I also don't feel sorry for her. I treat her like a normal 4 legged cat. Some friends and family always have that look of pity and in their tone of voice when they see her. Personally, I think Thump got pretty lucky when she landed in my house...lol. Especially when I had no intention of getting another freeloader.... I mean, pet. :p

Thump, was about a 6 month old stray when she was hit by a car on a lightly traveled highway. No one could catch her for about a week though. Her back leg was mangled but she always found a way to stay out reach. Finally, she got to weak and was caught and taken to my vet. My vet could have put her to sleep, but instead amputated the leg and later spayed her.

Some 5 months later, I ended up with her. I took in my elderly dog, Jaya in for an exam, but saw how stressed and exhausted my vet look. She had 5 emergencies surgeries that day. I told her I would cancel the appointment and reschedule Jaya for later.

That's when she turned to me and said:
"Would you like to foster a cat?"

My brain thought "Sh.. No!"
but my mouth said, "Sure ok."

And I knew I just adopted a cat, because there's no way I can emotionally foster an animal...I wouldn't ever be able to give it up. lol.

The office was So Busy, and my vet asked her tech to go get the cat. The tech told me before getting the cat, that they ran out of cage space 3 days prior and the cat had been spending most of it's time in a cat carrier.
She left, came back with the cat carrier handed it too me then turned to rush into the the exam room to help the vet. But then she paused and turned and said..."Oh, it's an almost year old female and she a missing leg."

They were so busy, I didn't even fill out any paperwork nor did I even get to see what the cat looked like until I got home. As mentioned Thump is a black tuxedo. My other cat, Song is a grey tuxedo.

I went back to the vets about a week later, and filled out forms for Thump. My vet told me that meds and supplies that Thump might need in the future will be at cost. And, she gets free check-ups and free labor for any procedures she might need in the future, and no charges for any stays for recovery time if it ever came down to that. Not a bad deal, usually people have to pay an adoption fee, plus any vet fees in full.

This is Thump, the day I got her:

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Stormy

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, it's so nice to meet you. Thump is beautiful. Bless you for adopting her. It was kind of you to take a cat on the spur of the moment, but sometimes our best decisions are made that way. I have had experience with my childhood cat missing a back leg and a cat I had as an adult missing a front leg. She had a gunshot wound that required an amputation. It brought out a barrage of fence building and indoor cats only. That is her, featured in my avatar. She got around great and would sometimes move the stump as if she still had a leg.

I think the suggestions above pretty much cover your questions. I just wanted to say "hello." :wave2: and welcome!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. Sorry for the delay in responding to the posts. Internet issues...ugh.

I will try some kind of attachment on her kitty condo. I have another cat, Song, who might use it too. But, yeah, being able to rub against some kind of brush for when itching or to help groom, would be something I think both cats would do.

Thump also tends to lay down on her right side too, so her fur seems to get more 'compacted' together for lack of a better word. It's not knots...just the hairs clump to each other.

She's a fast, agile cat for not having a right back leg, and while I feel bad she ended up like she did, I also don't feel sorry for her. I treat her like a normal 4 legged cat. Some friends and family always have that look of pity and in their tone of voice when they see her. Personally, I think Thump got pretty lucky when she landed in my house...lol. Especially when I had no intention of getting another freeloader.... I mean, pet. :p

Thump, was about a 6 month old stray when she was hit by a car on a lightly traveled highway. No one could catch her for about a week though. Her back leg was mangled but she always found a way to stay out reach. Finally, she got to weak and was caught and taken to my vet. My vet could have put her to sleep, but instead amputated the leg and later spayed her.

Some 5 months later, I ended up with her. I took in my elderly dog, Jaya in for an exam, but saw how stressed and exhausted my vet look. She had 5 emergencies surgeries that day. I told her I would cancel the appointment and reschedule Jaya for later.

And I knew I just adopted a cat, because there's no way I can emotionally foster an animal...I wouldn't ever be able to give it up. lol.

The office was So Busy, and my vet asked her tech to go get the cat. The tech told me before getting the cat, that they ran out of cage space 3 days prior and the cat had been spending most of it's time in a cat carrier.
She left, came back with the cat carrier handed it too me then turned to rush into the the exam room to help the vet. But then she paused and turned and said..."Oh, it's an almost year old female and she a missing leg."

They were so busy, I didn't even fill out any paperwork nor did I even get to see what the cat looked like until I got home. As mentioned Thump is a black tuxedo. My other cat, Song is a grey tuxedo.

I went back to the vets about a week later, and filled out forms for Thump. My vet told me that meds and supplies that Thump might need in the future will be at cost. And, she gets free check-ups and free labor for any procedures she might need in the future, and no charges for any stays for recovery time if it ever came down to that. Not a bad deal, usually people have to pay an adoption fee, plus any vet fees in full.

Stormy
Thump is so beautiful-I think she hit tye jackpot when the assistant handed her over to YOU- God Bless you(& Thump and Song) do share photos of Song too- we Looove photos!

I love Thumps story- thanks for sharing-I hope your story will encourage someone who may not have consideted adopting a 3 legged cat - they can see fromThumps " tale" they are not any different from a cat with 4legs.... I have a good friend that is up to #5 now- all tripods!The rescue knew she had one and called to see if she'd foster another and so on & so on---' she's not a very good foster-like you (& me),we fail!

It's really nice to have you here,enjoy!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Stormy
Thump is beautiful! My brain, too, has said "No, I don't want to foster" and my mouth says "Yes, please, and I'll take an extra 3 or 4 just because, as well." :lol: I have 7 cats, and 5 were foster cats that were to be temporary...10+ years ago. Oops. 🤣
I really admire your not pitying her for having 3 legs. It's very hard not to do sometimes, but for their own good I think it's important to let them move past any bad things in their past and move forward into a wonderful and positive future. I've known 3 legged cats and dogs alike and no one has ever told them that they're missing a limb, they get along just fine.
If possible, provide her with plenty of places to climb (assuming she was not declawed) to help her upper body strength stay strong so it can help balance her rear. A friend of mine rescued a 3 legged cat, and his vet told him to keep the cat lean, but not skinny, to avoid strain on his joints. :)

StormyPeak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been enjoying everyone's replies, and especially those sharing that they too, had 3 legged cats.

I have a kitty condo - that while not really tall, it has a bottom shelf, a deck in front of a hidey hole, and then the top of it (the roof to to the hidey-hole). When I first got Thump, she struggled to get to the deck, as her months at the vet's office didn't allow her a lot of exercise. She was let out of her various cages after the office closed, so that she could start moving and learn to use her back leg...but she wasn't strong.

But in about a week of being here, she was making running jumps at the side wall of that hidey hole and either pulling herself to the top of it, or around the corner, onto the deck or inside of it. And like a typical cat she gets the zoomies....every night, about the time I'm almost asleep. :p

I always fed Song on a low height dresser....didn't think Thump could jump up onto it with just the one leg and that being a slick surface. And she proved she couldn't, until one day she could...and I didn't realize she was eating some of Song's daily portion of kibble. So, now, Thump and Song get fed 3 times a day, so that I know they eat everything and don't raid each other's dishes. lol. Song always self regulated her self, but Thump, still has that stray cat mentality of eat all you can while it's in front of you. She did gain some extra weight, not a lot, but it's slowly coming down again.

I will try before the weekend is out to post some photos of Song...and since this is the grooming section, I'll post her adoption ad photo...and then one of her after living with me for a few months. She looks like a totally different cat as far as the sheen in her hair from being groomed and the loss of stress in her face and eyes. : )

Stormy

StormyPeak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There was a request to show Song, my other cat, so I will post a few photos here.

But first a photo of the first cat I ever owned, a stray kitten I took home and who hooked me onto grey tuxedos. Her name was Ashley and I had her for 21 years : ) This photo was when she was around 4 years old. Until Thump came along, my cats were all grey tuxedos.

Ashley
Ashley2.jpg

When Ashley passed, I found Kayla. She was 6 years old and had been a very abused cat when I adopted her from a shelter. It took me 2 years before Kayla finally would come to me on her own and lay down on me. She was so fearful of humans. I actually got Song so that Kayla could have a feline friend.
Kayla's shelter name, was Cleo..and that was how the abusive family called her. I changed the name to help her forget that first six years of her life.

This was her shelter photo. Notice the dull coat and the unhappy set of her ears and eyes and compare to what a little feeling of safety, no stress or abuse and some grooming can do for a cat:

Kayla's Shelter photo
Cleoattheshelter.jpg

After about a year with me:
Kayla-475widex355.jpg

Kayla on piano 499 pixel.jpg

Kayla was fascinated by her reflection and would paw and mew at it, so I felt she needed a friend and this is when Song came into our lives. I found Song in a shelter where she had been for 2 years, brought in as a 6 month old kitten, but the shelter had so many kittens she just missed out getting adopted, then began to look more like a cat...and cats are harder to adopt out than kittens.
Her name at the shelter was Mouse.

I hate that name for a cat...plus for me, living in an old house in the country...all mice are, are filthy critters that poo and pee on my counters and can eat their way through any food not in a glass jar.

I named Song, Song for many reasons. Song Sung Blue...a favorite Neil Diamond song of mine, and a 'blue' cat is what grey cats are sometimes called like an English or Russian Blue. Also, I've been watching Korean t.v. since around 2006, and one of my favorite entertainers there is an actress named Song Ji Hyo...who's funny, brave, witty and beautiful. She was the only female member on a show called Running Man with 7 guys she put up with and intimidated...lol.
I also ended up giving Song a nickname...from another song... "Song of the South" She has a habit of attacking my feet when I walk by...lol.

Song's Shelter photo: (also not a happy looking cat, and she lived there for 2 years
MT5421084032-1-pn.jpg

Song about 3 months later:
needs fixed photo of Song.jpg

SongsittingbythesofaJune2013_zps0a511c3d.jpg

And this is Song and Kayla relaxing with each other. Song is laying down, Kayla, sitting and looking at her.

SongandKaylafriendlymomentJune2013_zps109caa8d.jpg

I lost Kayla when she was around 13 years old, she got bone cancer. I wish I could say that Song and Thump got along was much as Song did with Kayla. But then Thump has too much fun antagonizing Song...which gave Thump the nickname of "Little Sh..." lol.

Song, has also thumped Thump a few times for her bushwhacking tactics...so that fit in with Thump's name too. Thump was well taken care of at the vet's clinic and groomed. So the photos I showed of her, she hasn't changed a whole lot, although she took about a week before deciding this was her home and she relaxed a lot more and found joy in tormenting an older crankier cat. Song is 13 now.

Thump is also in love with my Golden Retriever AU, (Au is the chemical name for gold)
A lot of people think I'm saying "Hey You" which is an inside joke for me, as back in the 1970s I did have a dog name Hey You. : )

AU:
AU fell asleep while watching me read.jpg

AU looking happy re-sized 400 pixal.jpg

Stormy

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a request to show Song, my other cat, so I will post a few photos here.

But first a photo of the first cat I ever owned, a stray kitten I took home and who hooked me onto grey tuxedos. Her name was Ashley and I had her for 21 years : ) This photo was when she was around 4 years old. Until Thump came along, my cats were all grey tuxedos.

Ashley
View attachment 464218

When Ashley passed, I found Kayla. She was 6 years old and had been a very abused cat when I adopted her from a shelter. It took me 2 years before Kayla finally would come to me on her own and lay down on me. She was so fearful of humans. I actually got Song so that Kayla could have a feline friend.
Kayla's shelter name, was Cleo..and that was how the abusive family called her. I changed the name to help her forget that first six years of her life.

This was her shelter photo. Notice the dull coat and the unhappy set of her ears and eyes and compare to what a little feeling of safety, no stress or abuse and some grooming can do for a cat:

Kayla's Shelter photo
View attachment 464219

After about a year with me:
View attachment 464221
View attachment 464222

Kayla was fascinated by her reflection and would paw and mew at it, so I felt she needed a friend and this is when Song came into our lives. I found Song in a shelter where she had been for 2 years, brought in as a 6 month old kitten, but the shelter had so many kittens she just missed out getting adopted, then began to look more like a cat...and cats are harder to adopt out than kittens.
Her name at the shelter was Mouse.

I hate that name for a cat...plus for me, living in an old house in the country...all mice are, are filthy critters that poo and pee on my counters and can eat their way through any food not in a glass jar.

I named Song, Song for many reasons. Song Sung Blue...a favorite Neil Diamond song of mine, and a 'blue' cat is what grey cats are sometimes called like an English or Russian Blue. Also, I've been watching Korean t.v. since around 2006, and one of my favorite entertainers there is an actress named Song Ji Hyo...who's funny, brave, witty and beautiful. She was the only female member on a show called Running Man with 7 guys she put up with and intimidated...lol.
I also ended up giving Song a nickname...from another song... "Song of the South" She has a habit of attacking my feet when I walk by...lol.

Song's Shelter photo: (also not a happy looking cat, and she lived there for 2 years
View attachment 464223

Song about 3 months later:View attachment 464224

View attachment 464226

And this is Song and Kayla relaxing with each other. Song is laying down, Kayla, sitting and looking at her.

View attachment 464225

I lost Kayla when she was around 13 years old, she got bone cancer. I wish I could say that Song and Thump got along was much as Song did with Kayla. But then Thump has too much fun antagonizing Song...which gave Thump the nickname of "Little Sh..." lol.

Song, has also thumped Thump a few times for her bushwhacking tactics...so that fit in with Thump's name too. Thump was well taken care of at the vet's clinic and groomed. So the photos I showed of her, she hasn't changed a whole lot, although she took about a week before deciding this was her home and she relaxed a lot more and found joy in tormenting an older crankier cat. Song is 13 now.

Thump is also in love with my Golden Retriever AU, (Au is the chemical name for gold)
A lot of people think I'm saying "Hey You" which is an inside joke for me, as back in the 1970s I did have a dog name Hey You. : )

AU:
View attachment 464229

View attachment 464230
Stormy
Thanks for sharing- they are all wonderful photos ( before n afters are great)

Beautiful creatures- AU is adorable

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Beautiful group there :) I really like AU's name, that's so cool being the chemical name for gold. Golden Retrievers are wonderful dogs. ❤

StormyPeak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. AU, in the first photo is about a year old, his nose was still black at that point and his golden coloring was just coming in with his hair. For a while he looked almost like a cream colored golden. But his fur became a beautiful burnish of golds, and reddish tones...and his nose turned a liver color. He's my 2nd golden.

The first one was a mentally handicapped one, that I adopted.

The breeder gave up on him after a year and sent him to the local shelter who had him for a year. He also had eating issues and threw up most everything. He was a complete skeleton when I got him. But I worked at the shelter some 20 years prior, and knew they fed twice a day, I know breeders often only feed their dogs twice a day too. After having him a year, and running all kinds of tests on him, the shelter was about to put him to sleep.

No one wanted him due to him being mentally handicapped and also due to him not being able to hold food down - and the shelter was worried about his health and not being adoptable. He really was just skin and bones when I took him. I thought he was adorable, and friendly...just what I needed for another dog I had, a feral named Jaya, I adopted who needed a confident, friendly dog who could teach her things I could not.

I fed that dog just an 1/8th of a cup of softened kibble and canned food...then would wait a 1/2 hour and feed him again. Eventually I got it to where he got more to eat each time until I only had to feed him five times a day and he never got sick on me. My thought process on all of that, was he was probably the runt, couldn't get to a nipple due to the bigger, smarter pups, then was so hungry by the time he was introduced to kibble he was gulping it down into an extra small belly...the kibble swelled and he would get sick.

He was so funny, I changed his name from Ruger to HaHa : ) Unfortunately, I lost HaHa when he was 5 years old, he developed a very fast growing cancer. Seven months later, for the first time I bought a dog...AU. Jaya looked for HaHa every single day for those 7 months. AU became her 2nd 'puppy' she babied him just like she did HaHa, cleaning his back, and ears and face...lol. I lost Jaya last year in October. AU looked for her for about 3 weeks, but has now seemed to moved on...as long as I don't say Jaya's name...then he runs to the room she use to sleep in and looks for her.

HaHa sold me on the golden breed...they are absolutely wonderful dogs!

This is HaHa and Jaya. HaHa is 2yrs old and not in the condition a 2 year old male golden should be...hardly any muscle mass. Jaya was 7 years old. I had HaHa for about a month when this photo was taken, his weight was at 50 pounds, he should have been around 75 pounds. He was at 39 pounds when I got him. His hair was wispy and he didn't have a lot of it.
HaHaandJayaplayingoutside_zpsa51739a2.jpg

This was HaHa about 7 months later : ) The people at the animal shelter cried when they saw him, couldn't believe he was the same skeleton of a dog that went out with me on the day I adopted him.

HaHa image for desktop.jpg

Another things special about HaHa, was on the tip of his tongue he had a perfect upside down heart : )

Sorry to get a little off topic in the Grooming forum...probably should have added most of this to the other pets section of this site. Most members might not even look to this section given it's about grooming. Maybe at a later date, I'll copy paste and add some of the above info to the other section. :p

Stormy

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. AU, in the first photo is about a year old, his nose was still black at that point and his golden coloring was just coming in with his hair. For a while he looked almost like a cream colored golden. But his fur became a beautiful burnish of golds, and reddish tones...and his nose turned a liver color. He's my 2nd golden.

The first one was a mentally handicapped one, that I adopted.

The breeder gave up on him after a year and sent him to the local shelter who had him for a year. He also had eating issues and threw up most everything. He was a complete skeleton when I got him. But I worked at the shelter some 20 years prior, and knew they fed twice a day, I know breeders often only feed their dogs twice a day too. After having him a year, and running all kinds of tests on him, the shelter was about to put him to sleep.

No one wanted him due to him being mentally handicapped and also due to him not being able to hold food down - and the shelter was worried about his health and not being adoptable. He really was just skin and bones when I took him. I thought he was adorable, and friendly...just what I needed for another dog I had, a feral named Jaya, I adopted who needed a confident, friendly dog who could teach her things I could not.

I fed that dog just an 1/8th of a cup of softened kibble and canned food...then would wait a 1/2 hour and feed him again. Eventually I got it to where he got more to eat each time until I only had to feed him five times a day and he never got sick on me. My thought process on all of that, was he was probably the runt, couldn't get to a nipple due to the bigger, smarter pups, then was so hungry by the time he was introduced to kibble he was gulping it down into an extra small belly...the kibble swelled and he would get sick.

He was so funny, I changed his name from Ruger to HaHa : ) Unfortunately, I lost HaHa when he was 5 years old, he developed a very fast growing cancer. Seven months later, for the first time I bought a dog...AU. Jaya looked for HaHa every single day for those 7 months. AU became her 2nd 'puppy' she babied him just like she did HaHa, cleaning his back, and ears and face...lol. I lost Jaya last year in October. AU looked for her for about 3 weeks, but has now seemed to moved on...as long as I don't say Jaya's name...then he runs to the room she use to sleep in and looks for her.

HaHa sold me on the golden breed...they are absolutely wonderful dogs!

This is HaHa and Jaya. HaHa is 2yrs old and not in the condition a 2 year old male golden should be...hardly any muscle mass. Jaya was 7 years old. I had HaHa for about a month when this photo was taken, his weight was at 50 pounds, he should have been around 75 pounds. He was at 39 pounds when I got him. His hair was wispy and he didn't have a lot of it.
View attachment 464272

This was HaHa about 7 months later : ) The people at the animal shelter cried when they saw him, couldn't believe he was the same skeleton of a dog that went out with me on the day I adopted him.

View attachment 464274

Another things special about HaHa, was on the tip of his tongue he had a perfect upside down heart : )

Sorry to get a little off topic in the Grooming forum...probably should have added most of this to the other pets section of this site. Most members might not even look to this section given it's about grooming. Maybe at a later date, I'll copy paste and add some of the above info to the other section. :p

Stormy
Delightful reading- lovely .Im so sorry for your loss -RIP HaHa and Jaya - you did give them both a very good life they both SO deserved

God Bless you

StormyPeak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StormyPeak StormyPeak I meant to mention that there is a website devoted to three legged pets. It is mostly pets that have had an amputation due to cancer, but there may be some information you can use there. Tripawds
I will check out that site. It's a clever name too : )

Another thing I'm dealing with, with Thump. She was a stray kitten, so never used a litter box. Then she was a kitten with what was probably a very painful recovery, having an amputated leg...and put into a cage with a feed bowl and a small litter box....which she probably had to painfully figure out how to get to, and being off balance, in pain...to use it.

I'm basing this on the fact that the first week I got her she was peeing and pooping outside the litter box. Fortunately, she was at least confining that to the utility room where there is sheet vinyl flooring that can be cleaned up and sanitized...and she wasn't going anywhere else in the house.

I think she watched, or smelled...probably both, Song's activity with the litter box and Thump started to pee in it, but was still pooing outside of it. She finally started to do both, however, at the time I was using clumping litter and if there were more than 3 lumps in there, she would poo outside the box. I also noticed if the litter was too deep she poo outside the box...so there was a balance thing going on there too.

It's been about a year now since I got her and now I'm only finding poo about once a wee...so compared to where she started...it's been a vast improvement. I have tried different litters and am now using wood pellet litter. Oh, yeah, at one point I tried 2 litter boxes but that didn't really seem to change things that much.

So, yeah, I'll check out that site and see how others fair with their tripod kitties.

Again, thanks for the link

Stormy

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will check out that site. It's a clever name too : )

Another thing I'm dealing with, with Thump. She was a stray kitten, so never used a litter box. Then she was a kitten with what was probably a very painful recovery, having an amputated leg...and put into a cage with a feed bowl and a small litter box....which she probably had to painfully figure out how to get to, and being off balance, in pain...to use it.

I'm basing this on the fact that the first week I got her she was peeing and pooping outside the litter box. Fortunately, she was at least confining that to the utility room where there is sheet vinyl flooring that can be cleaned up and sanitized...and she wasn't going anywhere else in the house.

I think she watched, or smelled...probably both, Song's activity with the litter box and Thump started to pee in it, but was still pooing outside of it. She finally started to do both, however, at the time I was using clumping litter and if there were more than 3 lumps in there, she would poo outside the box. I also noticed if the litter was too deep she poo outside the box...so there was a balance thing going on there too.

It's been about a year now since I got her and now I'm only finding poo about once a wee...so compared to where she started...it's been a vast improvement. I have tried different litters and am now using wood pellet litter. Oh, yeah, at one point I tried 2 litter boxes but that didn't really seem to change things that much.

So, yeah, I'll check out that site and see how others fair with their tripod kitties.

Again, thanks for the link

Stormy
I would suspect she's had difficulties in the past and learned it was easier to avoid it all together. If she's going near the box, it shows she understands what she should do, but for some reason, can't or won't. How high is the litter box? Could you use a very shallow one (they're usually marketed towards kittens or very elderly cats) as a re-training tool?

StormyPeak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did switch litter boxes early on, to one with low sides. I think that given she was a kitten when she lost her leg, and with all the pain, and never had to use a litter box before...it was all probably an experience that overwhelmed her. I'm sure she has some pain associations.

When I first got her, she flinched if I reached out for her and picked her up....then settled in and purred. But, when I went to let her down...she would panic. I think, although will never be able to know for sure...is that she was in one of her various cages at the vets...during busy days, not getting a lot of attention...then time was found to do a required inspection of her wound, or some kind of cleaning, or bandage changing...etc.

A kind vet tech would go get her, give her some love and attention...THEN....take her to the exam room where her stump was probably seeing more pain as it was examined. ??? Then she would get a bit more love and put back into a cage...and again, she was a free roaming stray kitten prior to all that. So, when I went to let her go, or to put her on the kitty condo...she panicked. I think she thought the next thing was that she was going to be hurt, or locked up. She is now past that, and realizes she's not going to be hurt or confined.

I think she associates pain with the litter box too, given her first experience with one was while she was in pain from the amputation and also off balance, and the litter box was new to her. I am happy that more often than not she is using it to poo in, and she's very good about peeing in it.

Stormy