New here, but.....

drusilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
never been to any cat shows, however I have owned a Siamese (traditional applehead). Lately, I've been having thoughts of getting a Chartreux & SH Scottish Fold.  I do play a sim game called, Showcats.com (anybody here on that site?)  While I've never truly had plans to show/breed cats, I have created a document on my pc (as dream thought you could say) of possible cattery names.  So far the names I have created or come up with are: Dilion (Dee lion), or Dilyon; Felion (Fee lion-pun of Feline) or Felyon.

Reason for these creative names is I didn't want names with C, K, or S...since "C, K, or S Chartreux & SH Scottish Folds" would be difficult and confusing when spoken.

Thanks in advance,

Kristen

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck getting a Chartreux - they are as rare as hen's teeth - and there are some nasty pitfalls to avoid breeding Folds.  The Chartreux isn't regognised in the UK as it's thought to be too similar to a British Blue - shorthand for a Blue self British Shorthair.

Suggest that before you go any further with your dreams of breeding you go to a show and look at all the breeds there.  Also look into how much breeding can cost, starting with the cost of a suitable female.  Also be aware that good breeders don't let just anyone have a female for breeding - you need to build up a relationship with them and get to know the breed.  Hence, going to cat shows.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suggest that before you go any further with your dreams of breeding you go to a show and look at all the breeds there.  Also look into how much breeding can cost, starting with the cost of a suitable female.  Also be aware that good breeders don't let just anyone have a female for breeding - you need to build up a relationship with them and get to know the breed.  Hence, going to cat shows.
The OP said they weren't interested in breeding or showing, they just wants recommendations on names that are similar to the type given to show cats.

never been to any cat shows, however I have owned a Siamese (traditional applehead). Lately, I've been having thoughts of getting a Chartreux & SH Scottish Fold.  I do play a sim game called, Showcats.com (anybody here on that site?)  While I've never truly had plans to show/breed cats, I have created a document on my pc (as dream thought you could say) of possible cattery names.  So far the names I have created or come up with are: Dilion (Dee lion), or Dilyon; Felion (Fee lion-pun of Feline) or Felyon.
Reason for these creative names is I didn't want names with C, K, or S...since "C, K, or S Chartreux & SH Scottish Folds" would be difficult and confusing when spoken.

Thanks in advance,
Kristen
I like Dilyon the best out of the names you suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

drusilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good luck getting a Chartreux - they are as rare as hen's teeth - and there are some nasty pitfalls to avoid breeding Folds.  The Chartreux isn't regognised in the UK as it's thought to be too similar to a British Blue - shorthand for a Blue self British Shorthair.

Sry, but I live in the U.S. not the UK. Therefore, I'm not concerned about their status in another country.  I did consider the Bombay, however since I've raise dogs, (going to get back into that again).  I want a breed (or breeds) that don't mind dogs and not very vocal (hence the reason for not wanting another Siamese).  Some vocalization is fine but not running a constant dialogue (like the Siamese).

I already know about breeding a folded ear to a straight ear Scottish Fold.

I've done a cat breed quiz at animalplanet.com and out of the 42 results, the Chartreux & Scottish Fold stood out to me.

Kristen

drusilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The OP said they weren't interested in breeding or showing, they just wants recommendations on names that are similar to the type given to show cats.
I like Dilyon the best out of the names you suggested.
First I would contact the breeder to let him/her know what is going on and then I would get her to a vet.
How old is she?
Ok, technically the names Delion (Dee lion) and Delyon (Dee lion) are same, just different spellings.  Same goes for Felyon (Fee lyon) and Felion (Fee lion). But either way, they're puns of Feline.  Plus they're nice and short (6 characters regardless how they're used.)

Kristen

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not really, they said they'd not truly planned to show or breed, which one can read as "thus far" but they are searching for cattery names for when they do breed - same as OS read it. 
Sry, but I live in the U.S. not the UK. Therefore, I'm not concerned about their status in another country.
OS' reply to you is still relevant, Chartreux are rare the world over. And it never hurts to learn about the world around you. Also as your location has been left blank I can only assume that OS is not a mind reader. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quizes are fun but not in my view the way to choose a breed of cat, and especially not when you want a cat that will be OK with dogs, and many cats (moggie and pedigree) don't like changes in their environment such as bringing a dog or kittens in.

If you don't know what breed you want without doing a quiz my view is you should start visiting your local shelters and look for the right cat for you.

drusilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
True the quiz was interesting.  But it did assist in narrowing down the choices.  The good thing is, I can always change my choices before getting any cat.  I do have two CATS USA magazines that I use as reference books.   So far, there hasn't been any cat shows within my area, or I've had other plans to attend.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a cool quiz. It recommends that I should adopt a Bengal or Abyssinian! Go figure. I guess I do like my cats smart and active, and don't particularly mind if they're not lap cats. I am unlikely to adopt a purebred cat anytime in the near future, though.

The quiz itself isn't going to be making any decisions for you, but do click around those descriptions of all the different breeds. I just spent some time on there browsing through them. And the photos are gorgeous! Purebred cats of course have their own personalities, as varied and individual as the cats themselves; it just seems that for many breeds, the average has been shifted one way or the other.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
True the quiz was interesting.  But it did assist in narrowing down the choices.  The good thing is, I can always change my choices before getting any cat.  I do have two CATS USA magazines that I use as reference books.   So far, there hasn't been any cat shows within my area, or I've had other plans to attend.
My quiz came up with 37 results. Doesn't really narrow down much at all. :lol3:

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting quiz. My top pick was Siberian and I had chosen 'little to no grooming'  :)

I don't really understand what the original poster was asking in her first post. Advice on breeds or advice on possible cattery names? Curious why you would need a cattery name if you do not intend to breed.

For me, I saw some Egyptian Mau kittens in a pet store 6 years ago. I decided to research them online as I'd never buy pets from a pet store, and it turns out that what they had were not Maus in any case. But, the experience did get me interested in them, and I did meet up with a set of super mentors in my chosen breed.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably still choose Maus, but I would take a weekend out of my life to travel to a cat show. Pictures and descriptions online aren't going to give you the full picture of what a rare breed is like in person.

Now, if you are thinking of breeding and showing, the fact that there are no cat shows close to you should help your decision. It's not enough to simply want to produce kittens of a specific breed, there should be a definite purpose to your program. The purpose is to promote and improve the breed, both in health and in beauty, you feel most strongly about. There are way too many kittens in the world as it is. The closest cat shows to me are 8-10 hours and a ferry ride, but I made that committment when I started.

drusilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, let me put it another way.  I play showcats.com...I "raise & show" Chartruex & Scottish Folds on that site. There is a real cattery with the same name as my username for that site (Shadowcrest).  Therefore, I need a new name for the "bloodlines" That's why I asked about the cattery names.  I have owned one Siamese (found as a stray)....will not get that breed again.  Which why I did the quiz (had a feeling Siamese was the wrong breed for me, but wasn't sure what breed would be better).

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saying why you wouldn't get another Siamese will get you far more useful information than a quiz on a website, that is if you have any intention of having a real cat rather than a virtual electronic cat.

And whilst it sounds like a 'reality' game I doubt it is anything like real life cat-breeding and showing.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saying why you wouldn't get another Siamese will get you far more useful information
Wouldn't owning an actual Siamese ( over a pointed stray mog) also be useful?

Breeding and showing online would no doubt be loads easier. No heartbreak, no actual raising of kittens, no calling girls losing condition, no seasons to mess with coats dropping or poor texture, no stinky stud boys.
Might be the smarter option LOL

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l'm not a breeder, but l like to visit this thread 

lf you're interested in learning anything about Chartreux, l know a breeder up here in the Ottawa area of Canada (not sure where you are in the States).

She breeds and shows cats, both Chartreux and British Shorthair. l've been out to her place, she's very knowledgeable about her cats, and l'm sure she'd help you out with any info you would like to gather on the breed.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Saying why you wouldn't get another Siamese will get you far more useful information
Wouldn't owning an actual Siamese ( over a pointed stray mog) also be useful?

Breeding and showing online would no doubt be loads easier. No heartbreak, no actual raising of kittens, no calling girls losing condition, no seasons to mess with coats dropping or poor texture, no stinky stud boys.
Might be the smarter option LOL
Like fantasy football. :lol3:

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ehh... fantasy football would still teach you how football works. Of course it won't teach you what things are like in the physical world, but simulations aren't entirely useless. They're a decent introduction.

drusilla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's the site for the cat show game:

http://www.showcats.com/

There's also a dog showing game, a cattle showing game, a horse racing game, and horse showing game all by the same developers.  Also, there are players on these sites that actually raise & show these animals in RL.

The Siamese I had was adopted stray, found around where my Mom worked at the time.  He was a young (we thought abt 8 mths old), although he had been a stray, he couldn't have been born as a stray (proof was discovered when we cleaned out a closet-a normal stray would have bolted from the room as soon as the first loud thump hit).  He had never worn a collar (took care of that with a hair scruchie) til we got a cat collar.  He was suitable on his handling (not his baths). He would lay on our lap when we were working on the computer.  But if he didn't think you were petting the correct way, he bit! We did have him neutered, however when we had to move to a rental house we had to rehome him (I had a Miniature Schnauzer that I had since he was 5 wks old-brought him home when he was 2 mths old).

At the time, we didn't know the Siamese was considered 'Late Night Talk Show Host of the Cat World'.  Although, the cat & dog would play 'tag'....dog would chase cat....cat hid under bed....dog searched wouldn't find him...turn around to leave....cat pops out from the bed to pop the dog in the tail and take off running!

So while it was...interesting to own the breed....not getting another one!

Btw, the Siamese was named 'Mischief'