New here, and new to cats!

shivoee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! After browsing the web for cat info I stumbled upon this site, saw that it had a forum and thought "oh perfect!"
You see, I have never had cats before, and I (very unexpectedly) adopted two sister when they were 6 weeks old.

I never really even liked cats, as I am a dog person by nature. I'm a dog groomer and trainer by trade, but I love animals in general.
What happened was, I saw a post on a local facebook swap shop that read "I have two kittens for free, if no one takes them by tomorrow I'm dropping them at the shelter."
Well I fallow the shelters facebook and knew they weren't taking any cats at the time because Feline leukemia virus had taken hold of their cat center!
I decided to watch the post and everyone was asking for the pure gray cat, but not the grey and white one.
So I said I would take the grey and white, because I figured if these people were so quick to get rid of these baby kitty's, they would be just as quick to drop them outside and not think anything of it!

The next day when they came to drop off our new family member, they got out of there car, handed me a closed box and said "it's in there" and a bag with some non kitten cat chow.
I went inside as quickly as possible to let the poor dear out of the box and to my surprise BOTH kitten were in the box! My 4 year old daughter (who calls herself "The Cat Master") was thrilled, and as I was watching the tiny little things roam around my living room I was wondering what on earth I was going to do with two kittens, no litter box, no kitten food, and pay day 4 days away. I didn't even think about having cat things because I was so worried about them getting dropped somewhere.

Thankfully, we have quite a bit of sand in our yard, so I dug a bunch up, baked it at 500 for 2 hours and let it cool, and used an old and very low to the ground clothing tote for a litter box. Worked great!
I broke open the piggy bank and called the vet and asked him what I should feed 6 week old kittens, he let me know and thankfully we had just enough to get them what they needed to last at least 4 days.
We MADE it work!

That same night, I couldn't find the kittens when I got up to get water at about 2am. We have a big old house, and I searched high and low, only to find both of them tucked into bed with my daughter. At that moment I knew I had done the right thing, and I was so blessed by these little babies that had fallen into my lap!

They are now 5 1/2 months old, with fantastic personality's. Niki is shy, but quite the hunter of toys. She isn't too fond of anyone but my daughter, but is obsessed with licking peoples toes! To me she is the more lovely/lady like of the two. She has such a pretty face, and she is so precise in her moments. She also loves the computer, if I turn on a "cat games" video from youtube she just goes nuts!
Kerri, Kerri is my baby. She is always in my lap, or inside my jacket, or on my head. She is extremely vocal, playful, and always getting into something. I love her face, her markings, I just adore her! Compared to  her sister she is fairly clumsy. Not nearly as graceful, and just kind of falls all over herself from time to time. But she is so loving and sweet, and so much fun to play with! She is also the cat no one wanted, the one who made me decide that I would let a cat into my life.

needless to say, I am quite the cat lover now! But I am still new to all things cat, and am always looking for ways to be a better cat parent. Sorry this was so long!

harleysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome, I'm a newbie here too!

What a wonderful story, I'm so pleased it's worked out well for you. Kerri and Niki both look adorable, and I'm very impressed with your last minute cost-free litter box idea!

Wishing you all well from Australia :)

clumsilyidiotic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi @Shivoee  and welcome :)  
 I am a newbie here as well. Your story is similar to mine so reading your story made me tear up a bit. My life has been transformed when i adopted/rescued a kitty. He is about 3 months old now. He is my personal sunshine, he changed everything I knew about cats. Like you I have never like cats, I am a dog lover. I particularly didn't like them rubbing their bodies/heads around my leg or the feel of their tongue on my skin. All of that changed completely since getting Sir Velvet (The Naughty or The Dork
 ) I named him before determining his gender because of his velvety fur :)

Your cats are lovely! :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the  site! What a wonderful story, you are doing a great job, they are beautiful, healthy looking cats! I wish you all the luck and many many years of happiness and joy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shivoee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the welcomes everyone, I hope to make friends and learn a thing or two while I'm here!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Hi & welcome to TCS!! What a great story & bless you, bless you for taking in those babies!!!  It sounds like the blessing is on both ends for you all.  I bet your daughter is beyond thrilled! How sweet! 

I was new to cats when I joined this site over two years ago, & I have learned SO much here!  You will find lots of great people here w/ a lot of knowledge, & support when you need it! I can'tr say enough great things    about this site!                       

horatiothecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome.

That's a very nice story, lovely kitties and kudos to you for having saved them and given them love, food and good shelter.

I recommend you have them neutered asap so they woudn'tgo out of your home and keep being such lovely pets and to avoid the problem of more kitties on the streets abandoned to their own luck.

Cheers.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shivoee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have already been fixed! Thankfully our vet will do spay/neuter for $5 a pop if you call the animal shelter first and request the coupon code. There is a fantastic program here in town as well run by the shelter called "barn buddies" where all the feral cats get picked up, fixed, and adopted out to ranches/farms all over the state of Colorado and even down into New Mexico! In the past 3 years of living here, I have only seen about 20 or so cats on the street, and you never see them out for long. However there is a BIG orange tom cat that no one can seem to get a hold of, he hangs out around my house and for the past couple of years I have put out a feral cat house for him to keep warm in winter. Good ol' travel tote full of hay with a door in it!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

They have already been fixed! Thankfully our vet will do spay/neuter for $5 a pop if you call the animal shelter first and request the coupon code. There is a fantastic program here in town as well run by the shelter called "barn buddies" where all the feral cats get picked up, fixed, and adopted out to ranches/farms all over the state of Colorado and even down into New Mexico! In the past 3 years of living here, I have only seen about 20 or so cats on the street, and you never see them out for long. However there is a BIG orange tom cat that no one can seem to get a hold of, he hangs out around my house and for the past couple of years I have put out a feral cat house for him to keep warm in winter. Good ol' travel tote full of hay with a door in it!
That does sound like a good program!  And good for you for taking care of that feral kitty.  

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome! Your cats are beautiful. The white and gray one looks like my Remy. Like you I was a life long dog person. I worked with dogs and grew up with them.

Now I have 3 cats who I am obsessed with and I can't believe I didn't get a cat until my 40's.

You have come to the right place, so much knowledge that people are happy to share.

Looking forward to hearing more about your kitties. I am also thrilled that your young daughter is such a cat lover.You have raised her right!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, welcome to The Cat Site.

That's a nice story. Lucky you to get two kittens! They get on so much better if they live with a buddy. Glad to hear that your daughter is a Crazy Cat Lady in the making. 

brendan2282

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!  We adopted our Max & Phoebe when they were just 6 weeks old (they're litter mates).  Now they're almost 16 years old and they are the best of friends.  We're so happy we adopted them together.  They keep each other company, play together, and are always napping together.  Enjoy your new kitties!  Max & Phoebe say 'hello', too!