New Going Cat, Meowing At Night And Aggression.

Kjsoto90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Firstly, this is the first time raising my own cat. Here is the backgroud and the situation:

My uncle found Luna at their old apartment under the floor of his daughters closet as a kitten. So they think she was feral and abandoned. They decided to keep her. This was about 2 years ago. The few times i stayed over and slept on the couch, she would never stop messing with stuff around the house and meowing. She did also grow up with a now 7 year old girl that is hyperactive and would constantly be loud and chasing her. Everytime I would come over, Luna would be hiding somewhere and wouldn't come out. Or slinking around the house.

Now, I decided to take her because my uncle and his family are moving to a place that cannot have another cat. We paid to have her spayed and rabies, thinking also that getting her fixed would help her calm down. It has now been 3 nights my husband and I have had her. I know that is a short amount of time, but both of my hands are now completely scratched up and she's made me bleed a few times. Just by softly petting her head. She has to stay in our room for now because we have roommates and they have two sibling cats. We dont want to over stimulate her going to a new house, then exposing her immediatly to new people and new cats. The other cats have never seen another cat either. And she is underweight so the vet said to keep food out at all times for her. That would be an issue for the other cats.

She started out very shy, staying in her new cat tree hidey hole. Didnt really eat much unless i prompted her to. I even put the towel that had the smell of her old home in the tree too. She's started to come out a bit more the last few days. However, now she comes out at night at tries to get in the window and causes all sorts of trouble along with obnoxiously loud meowing. So i moved the cat tree hoping to prevent the trouble she was causing on the blinds. She is also very mean and aggressive to the point that i try to comfort her like I normally do during the day and to get her to stop meowing. She is otherwise very sweet and loves to cuddle. But too much and she'll try to rip your hand off.

What can i do to help her and let me and my husband sleep at night until we can let her out of the bedroom?? The last thing I want to do is completely give her up....that would break my heart...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: And thank you for bringing Luna home with you. :catlove:

That's a lot of changes for the Luna, all at once. New home. New "parents". Vet visit and spaying. Other cats in her new home. That could certainly create behavioral issues.

I can't really advise from personal experience. Hopefully other members, will be able to. Meanwhile, I'll let you know that TCS has a lot of articles on cats.

Behavior ones are here: Cat Behavior | TheCatSite

Good luck. Hope it all works out. :heartshape:

Kid Indie

Samus Aran's Dad
Young Cat
Purraise
The aggression is probably just anxiety, dealing w relocation and not full knowing her surroundings. Also she may have picked up the scent of the other two cats and has become predatorial in her behavior, you may what to introduce her to them fairly soon so at least she can adapt to their presence. She may take them as a threat and isn't fully trusting of you YET. The loud meowing may be her communicating her want to explore beyond the room she is in. Maybe when it is late and the house is calm you can let her roam for a few minutes each night, letting her get accustomed to the household. Keep a close eye on her and safeguard any places she can run from you and hide in.

More then likely she is just timid and the spay probally has caused her stress again leading to the overly aggressive tendencies. Take it slow and limit her to the room until she becomes fairly secure in you and the home. It may take some weeks but all is not lost. Hang in there and I wish you success!