New foster mom

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got my first fosters today. Nellie a Siamese mix with 4 babies. They have been treated for a URI. They are looking good except one. I am supplementing her with goats milk and wet food. I'll get some KMR tomorrow. I will get a scale also tomorrow. I'm excited yet nervous. The little one don't seem to be doing too well and I'm scared to loose her. The mom is young and don't seem to have a lot of milk but is still nursing them. The shelter has put them at about 4 weeks. The other three are doing pretty good and active. The little one spends a lot of time sleeping. I am feeding the mom kitten food along with some goats milk also. She is really skinny so I'm hoping it will help her gain some weight.

I've only had them a few hours and I'm off tomorrow so I will be able to keep a better eye on them and check them out. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goat's milk is great and very well digested.  If you get KMR formula, be sure to get the powdered kind that you mix yourself.  The liquid kind tends to give them diarrhea, we don't know why, but just stick with the powder.  Be sure to keep it in the fridge or freezer after you open it.  You can supplement with both the formula and the goat's milk.  In fact, it's a good way to balance a formula in my opinion.  Yes, keep giving it to the mom cat.  You can give her some of the mixed up KMR also.  Since these babies are older, mix it weaker than the instructions, i.e. use twice as much water as the instructions call for.  The instructions make it very concentrated for newborns, but as kittens get older, the mama cat's milk gets less concentrated because babies need more fluid then.

If you have a mail scale or kitchen scale, you should use that to weight the babies every day.  That way you will know that they are gaining weight, or if they are not, you will know where there is a problem.   I always put them ina plastic bowl to weight them and then subtract the weight of the bowl, because at this age they will not stay on a scale for the seconds it takes to weight them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Goat's milk is great and very well digested.  If you get KMR formula, be sure to get the powdered kind that you mix yourself.  The liquid kind tends to give them diarrhea, we don't know why, but just stick with the powder.  Be sure to keep it in the fridge or freezer after you open it.  You can supplement with both the formula and the goat's milk.  In fact, it's a good way to balance a formula in my opinion.  Yes, keep giving it to the mom cat.  You canThan give her some of the mixed up KMR also.  Since these babies are older, mix it weaker than the instructions, i.e. use twice as much water as the instructions call for.  The instructions make it very concentrated for newborns, but as kittens get older, the mama cat's milk gets less concentrated because babies need more fluid then.

If you have a mail scale or kitchen scale, you should use that to weight the babies every day.  That way you will know that they are gaining weight, or if they are not, you will know where there is a problem.   I always put them ina plastic bowl to weight them and then subtract the weight of the bowl, because at this age they will not stay on a scale for the seconds it takes to weight them.
Thanks for the information. I would have just mixed it according to directions. I have read so many threads about fostering and helping mommas and babies but now that I have my own it seems like i have forgotten every thing I have read.

I did notice when I cleaned the litter box today that someone has diarrhea, I think it's Nellie (mom).

I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a scale, albeit, not a great one but it will do until I can afford a better one. I weighed Leia and she weighs 300 grams. I didn't weigh the others because they are doing really well. I fed them today and they all ate well. Leia still will not eat from the bowl. Once I put the syringe in her mouth and squeeze some on her tongue she will eat but still not much.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When is the last time Leia saw a vet?
They are all on meds and I have an ointment for Leia's eyes but she still don't seem to be doing well at all. I'm going to call my mentor with the shelter today and see if they can get her in again for another check up and more or different meds. If not, I will be taking her to my vet and let him look at her. I trust him and know he will be straight with me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree she needs to be seen again. It does not really sound like she is eating enough. I wonder if she is dehydrated.

How much and how often is she eating?

She does not look well at all in her picture. Poor baby. I do hope she can get better.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree she needs to be seen again. It does not really sound like she is eating enough. I wonder if she is dehydrated.

How much and how often is she eating?

She does not look well at all in her picture. Poor baby. I do hope she can get better.
I called my mentor this morning and she took her back in so she can feed her and get her well. She ate pretty good for her. I guess I was just nervous and wasn't giving her as much as she needed. She came straight from the shelter and they weren't giving them the meds on a good schedule so they are now on a set schedule and the others are looking very well. My mentor will keep the baby until she gets stronger. They way I work it's hard for me with a sick little one so it was in her best interest to take her back to someone who has the time to spend with her. Once she starts doing better and gets stronger I will get her back and get her and her brothers socialized until they are ready to be spayed/neutered and taken to the adoption site.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that you did this! I think that is what this little one needs - some round the clock TLC. Thank you! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that you did this! I think that is what this little one needs - some round the clock TLC. Thank you! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
I just couldn't sit and let the precious little one get worse. She is really alert when you are holding and petting her so I know she has some fight in her. She is were she needs to be right now.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leia passed away at 6 this morning. My mentor called me to let me know. She was up with her most of the night trying to get her to drink but I guess she was just too far gone.

I'm trying not to let this discourage me on continuing my choice to foster. I still have Nellie and the other three. I will do my best to make sure they are safe and strong.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Her prognosis did not seem good. At least she was loved and cared for.

As you know, this is part of fostering. Some don't make it. But since there are so many that need help and do thrive with care, we take a deep breath, and march forward.