New Foster Kneading Constantly

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you think it’s pneumonia? Do you have clavamox? It may work better than the azithromycin.

B Bratcat31
Maybe on the pneumonia? I'm not really sure how illness turns into pneumonia but he was very ill and unfortunately did pass away this morning. His siblings are also now ill, so I'm working hard to get them to feel better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! I’m so sorry you lost him, and that the other kittens are sick now too.

Is it an upper respiratory?

:vibes:That they pull through.

B Bratcat31

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear! I’m so sorry you lost him, and that the other kittens are sick now too.

Is it an upper respiratory?

:vibes:That they pull through.

B Bratcat31
Yup. Upper respiratory infection. Mom has a one and sneezes EVERYWHERE. I'm not super shocked the babies got it (she sneezes on them) but they also didn't get on meds as quickly as they should have. They are now getting nebulized 3-4x a day and momma is getting a nice steam room. Weights are good for a couple and hanging in for the third. Fingers crossed. URIs in neonates are so so bad.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
<<sigh>> woke up this AM to discharge from the kittens eyes and came home to find momma sneezing blood. This is getting a little unreal. Back at the clinic again. Hopefully we can figure out WTH is going on...

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet thinks it's Calici. There is concern for the kittens since they are so sick. Not a ton you can do except supportive care. So, continuing the nebulizing and supplementing as needed.

They did however send me home with 5 days of Sub Q fluids for the kittens that include Baytril in them and a 5 day course of anti-virals. They are pulling them off the Azithromyacin.

They actually think momma is doing OK and getting better so they are not putting her on anything new. Keep your fingers crossed for me and this litter it's exhausting. :-/

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m glad the vet changed the kittens’ medication. And at least mom is getting better.

Poor mama and kittens! Poor you struggling to get them better. I know it’s exhausting. Hang in there.

I really hope they all turn the corner soon and begin to show improvement.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, final update for this thread. All three kittens have been pulled from mom and put into medical care full time. Despite 3-4x daily neb treatments, anti-virals, and subq fluids with antibiotics, the Calci was too much for their little bodies and 2 of the 3 need to be tube fed due to their complete inability to nurse or be syringe/bottle fed without choking/aspirating.

Fortunately the shelter I foster for is set up to handle this kind of thing!

I do still have momma. She will stay here to dry up, and then get spayed and moved into the cattery. She is quite happy and feeling great. She is also starting to play with her toys and her personality is really coming through. I will say she is VERY annoyed that she must remain in the bathroom. She wants OUT LOL!

Not the ending I would have hoped for but I'm very happy they can get the help they need.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why does mom have to stay in the bathroom? How long?

Can you supply updates on the kittens?

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has to stay in the bathroom because she has Calici and we are trying to keep it as contained as possible since I have other cats and foster pregnant mommas that are more susceptible to coming down with illnesses. Though my male cat has started sneezing so he likely already has it. The shelter I foster for also doesn't allow the intermingling of pregnant foster moms and resident cats. I am hoping to get her into the clinic this week to see if the virus is cleared so that I can let her out when my resident cats are put away.

I got an update on the kittens yesterday morning. They went home with a vet tech overnight on Friday so they could get tube fed every two hours and the little female could be monitored for some bladder issues they are trying to figure out. I chatted with the nursery a bit today but they hadn't heard from the tech since then. I'll definitely give updates on the kittens though!

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitten update - we lost the little female kitten due to a congenital defect they couldn't correct. The two males are still struggling but are hanging in there. They were hit pretty hard and it sounds like the right decision was made to pull them from momma and let the tech take care of them full time.

Though, I really wish the news was better (I was really hoping to hear that they had at least turned the corner) I am so glad they are in the excellent hands of a med tech who can give them so much more than I could.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, more bad news unfortunately. As of the last update one more of the males passed and they did not have high hopes for the last remaining kitten. Though he was getting round the clock care and tube feeding the virus was just too much for his teeny tiny body.

On a slightly better note, momma cat is doing great. Milk is already gone (she didnt have much), no more sneezing or runny eyes and she has been officially cleared for Calici so she can be posted for adoption. I was also able to clear up a spare room that I never use for fosters to move her into. So, she now has a nice big room with a bed and a big window and a nice window seat. She should be much much happier in there!