New forum opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I belong to several message boards that have private forums, so this is nothing new to me. At least on this forum, it's for people who pay and help support the community. On some of the other forums I belong to, it's by "invitation" only, meaning that the members of the private forum's are just more well liked and or accepted that the other members. On another forum I belong to, the private forum's are dependant upon how many posts people have. In a way, IMO is kind of private, because you do have to be a certain age and you do have to have a certain amount of posts, in order to participate.

I can't afford to pay for membership at TCS, either. Money is very tight for me. I do help out a little bit, by having put my website on the same server as TCS, which gives TCS a little money each month, not as much as a subscription, but a little at any rate. I'm not upset that there is a private forum for paying members, though. If it weren't for them, those of us who can't afford a subscription, might not have TCS to come to every day. So, I'm grateful to those people who can afford to subscribe.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand that money is tight for many members.
We are blessed that a place like TCS, with all that it has to offer, is available for no charge, other our involvement?

Money is tight for me too, but because TCS has become so important to me....I have chosen to subscribe, as my way of saying thanks and to feel like I am doing just a little more to help keep TCS growing.

If you are familiar with how closely the MODS monitor posts for negative comments...you will be reassured that the Premier Lounge nothing more than a small extra perk for those of us who subscribe.

It's all good...when you subscribe to TCS you will know that.
When you can...."Come On Down."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok,

First of all, many forums have this type of set-up, which is where the idea was planted in the first place. Those who subscribe here are partially responsible for me being able to meet the server costs monthly. Without their support, no one might even be here. This is no different from companies that send out special gifts to their clients in appreciation for their support, or a merchant adding something extra in an order to a paying client.

It was not meant to make anyone feel bad. There is nothing nasty happening in the new forum. No one is being talked about, no secrets revealed. It is also not meant to make anyone feel guilty about not contributing. That was not the point, and I am sad that some are feeling the way they are. It is a perk, that is all it is.

xdx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think one of my main problems is what is this forum about what is actually going on that can't be in the lounge? It does feel a little lilke your too poor to join in with the rest of the board.

xdx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

I agree.

I for one would feel a lot better if we could at least see the topics being discussed there even if we can't read them.

When a forum is opened to cater to a minority not the majority it's hard not to feel excluded and even hurt.
Well said couldnt have put it better myself

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xDx

I think one of my main problems is what is this forum about what is actually going on that can't be in the lounge? It does feel a little lilke your too poor to join in with the rest of the board.
First, this forum has to abide by the same Rules as every other forum on this board. There isn't anything happening there that *couldn't* be in the Lounge. It isn't "The Gossip Lounge" where everyone can badmouth everyone else. That isn't how this place works and if you've been here for longer than 10 minutes you know that already.

The point of the new forum is to 1. give a little extra to those who give a little extra monetarily to keep the site running, and 2. to provide a more intimate setting for those same people to converse. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not a penalty for not paying, it is a reward for being a paid subscriber - which is actually a very minor compared to what other forums offer their paid subscribers. And there are other forums that you cannot even participate in at all without paying. This is a benefit offered, and that's all.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well said Heidi.

I really hope all you loyal and caring people on TCS don't go getting the wrong idea about the new forum and think you are being left out for any reason.

Just as I would be able to upgrade features on a new vehicle if I paid for the extras at the dealership, this is just an upgrade for folks that are paying for the extras at TCS. There is no hidden agenda, it's not a gossip lounge, it's just "another" place to visit and relax and get to know one another as we do now in the other forums.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I pay extra for something I do appreciate getting a little more than the person who doesn't pay - that's just human nature and I'm very human.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While I can understand how some people may feel about this new private forum, I can understand that TCS wants to do something back for the paying subscribers.

I know that TCS would NEVER allow the members to talk behind other members backs - that is not the policy here, for as long as I can remember, they have been very fair, and the rules have been enforced, which is why it is such a great place for everybody.

I am still trying to decide whether to become a paid member, not because of this perk, but because I have been here for so long, I have so many posts and I should at least contribute something. I love it here, everyone is like family and I would not have it any other way.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

While I can understand how some people may feel about this new private forum, I can understand that TCS wants to do something back for the paying subscribers.

I know that TCS would NEVER allow the members to talk behind other members backs - that is not the policy here, for as long as I can remember, they have been very fair, and the rules have been enforced, which is why it is such a great place for everybody.

I am still trying to decide whether to become a paid member, not because of this perk, but because I have been here for so long, I have so many posts and I should at least contribute something. I love it here, everyone is like family and I would not have it any other way.
Thats very well said, and I do feel the same way.

I really do wish I could afford $5 a month, I love this place so much
, I know that no one here, Mods or members- would allow any bad mouthing or anything like that to happen on any forum - public or not. This place really is great!

sweetiecat3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everyone will just have to *trust* all the great mods & admins here that, really! there can't be anything bad going on in that forum, and IMHO it isn't that big of a deal. I don't think TCS is going to get rid of it because of a few complaints - though I can sympathize with them, I don't think it's worth the time & worrying about. I'd say just enjoy what you have.

TCS is a great place!!

I also do think that this new forum is a good idea, though I am not a subscriber. I think it encourages some others to contribute to the site, while giving a nice little reward to them, they do deserve it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
There's not going to be any badmouthing on that forum, not only because the rules apply there, too, but also because any member can take out a short-term subscription and participate. As I said in my earlier post, I really believe that those who make a financial contribution to TCS's continued existence, which all members benefit from, should be rewarded in some way. We all work hard for our money, and are feeling the pinch caused by the inflated cost of energy (heating oil is 32% higher than last year where I live, and natural gas has climbed 10%; I haven't had a raise in three years, and neither has my husband). If I were to travel business class, rather than in economy, on a flight, I'd expect a few amenities. Why should it be different here?

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I post on a lot of boards with a private forum for subscribers, so I didn't give this one a second thought. I think that posting on an internet board with no subscription is a huge privilege. And look at the number of threads that are free and open - one small area that is a "thank you" to the paid subscribers is a tiny percentage of what goes on here.

I have been a member of a few really good boards that had to close because they couldn't pay for their bandwidth. I commend everyone who keeps this site running and free for everyone.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sammie5

I post on a lot of boards with a private forum for subscribers, so I didn't give this one a second thought. I think that posting on an internet board with no subscription is a huge privilege. And look at the number of threads that are free and open - one small area that is a "thank you" to the paid subscribers is a tiny percentage of what goes on here.

I have been a member of a few really good boards that had to close because they couldn't pay for their bandwidth. I commend everyone who keeps this site running and free for everyone.
I could not have said it any better!
Good Job!!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The majority of larger sites I see, like a Classmates.com, for example, cater more and more to customers who pay for their services. The majority of TCS is free. But as our membership grows and the forums grow, the cost to run this site becomes larger and larger. We recently had to move to yet another, more powerful dedicated server to keep our site running efficiently. Subscribing members are one way we pay the bills. As has been stated several times in this thread, the Premier Lounge is not a place where members are being gossiped about. What would be the point of that? Anyone is free to join at any time!

Because we are a family-friendly site, having a forum not accessible to the public allows participants to be a bit less restrictive with thread topics, language, joke content, etc.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think there is something disturbing about this new forum. The disturbing thing is that anyone would be foolish enough to think that it has any sort of gossip in it at all, or that anyone should be hurt by it.

Our membership has grown over the years. Forum sections have been added and removed during the duration. Anyone who pays attention knows that each forum has its regulars. We've learned that every time a new forum is added, it offers a new opportunity for regulars in that new forum to become closer and at the same time, allow new growth in our membership without oversaturating one area. I know there are some people who have become very close in Paws & Reflect, or IMO and they don't visit other forum sections as much. With a membership this large, that is expected.

At last, it dawned on us that we could dedicate a forum to our loyal paying subscribers. It's a unique way of saying thanks to our subscribers and until we think of another nice feature or section to add to this web site to accomodate our ever expanding membership, we hope this new forum will be a lasting monument and constant reminder of grattitude towards our subscribers.

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't have a problem with the new forum at all but even if i was a paying member i wouldn't go there....there's no need when there's a fantastic lounge area already, everyone posts in the cat lounge, i'd feel more left out posting in the 'private lounge' anything of interest won't be posted there because too many members have non-paying friends here and i'm sure they would rather everyone hear their news, problem or story rather than a select few, so i highly doubt we will be missing out on anything.

just my two cents

felicia

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I purchased a subscription to TCS last June, long before the Premier Lounge opened, because I wanted to show my support for the best site on the web. That is what a subscripton is about.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I purchased a subscription to TCS last June, long before the Premier Lounge opened, because I wanted to show my support for the best site on the web. That is what a subscripton is about.
I think this is the purest form of support right here. True patronage should never create a feeling of being elite or special because at its core, it is the subject or mission that's being supported that matters.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the new Premier Lounge, and everyone knows I have no qualms about people talking about me (how utterly boring) or a "section" of TCS enjoying a little solitude, but my concern rests with the true spirit of TCS being sold off. I feel so very deeply that $5 per month is like cat food - it feeds us, soothes us, educates us, and loves us for the love of our cats. It shouldn't be equated with being "better off" or more special on the site. So please do not think that way. In other words, I hope we make enough money so that membership fees are waived and another critieria is used, perhaps, in the future.

I grew up poor, we had no money. Now my life is very different. I intend to write a check and I also have every intention of swimming in the City Pool, regardless of the country club being down the block.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't understand the controversy.

I think it's a nice idea and I don't have the finances to be a paid subscriber.

xdx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
But what is disturbing about this forum is it makes us people who cannot afford the subscription feel left out. Thats what worries me more than gossip. It almost feels like a memebrs club that i cant afford.

What I always liked about TCS was its Inclusivity that everyone was equal. well now that feelings going there is an us and them feeling to what is going on. It gives a feeling of elitism and that the rest of us are the proletariat. I feel like im being penalised for having less money than others

Yes I know other boards with private boards on them but those other boards have never had the feeling of community that tCS has. TCS subscribers have always had certain benefits which have never bothered me but this one feels like a separatist approach and like it is putting pressure on us all to subscribe even if we cant really afford it.

I must admit this whole thing does make me consider my position here

Status
Not open for further replies.