New food irritating my cat's skin?

cwuwildcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm concerned about my cat's upper lip. I think the fur there might be somewhat thin, but It's hard to say. It's not swollen or anything. It doesn't seem to be itchy or painful at all. And she's acting 100% fine. She's an indoor cat and the only thing that's changed recently is that I've started mixing a new brand of food in with what she is used to eating.

When I adopted her a few months ago, she came with a big, almost full bag of NutriSource cat and kitten food. She's been eating that until now and has been really healthy. I wanted to get her another bag of that, but I can't seem to find it my town. I've started mixing Rachel Ray Nutrish cat food in with what's left of the NutriSource - I know the Rachel Ray cat food can't be quite top-notch, but there's isn't a big selection anywhere local, but I got a small bag of it because it was on sale while also appearing to be marginally more nutritious that the bag of Purina I was also considering.

Maya is about a year old. In case it could somehow be relevant, I know she had an upper respiratory infection when she came to the shelter as a young kitten.

Thanks!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you cleaning her bowls every day?  That could help.  Be sure you're using ceramic, glass, stainless steel or even paper plates. If this has happened with the introduction of the new food, then I'd say it is an allergy to something in that food.  Check places online to see if you can order the other food.  You can also try adding some grain-free canned food and see if that helps.