New Food (Cat Chow) Kitty is gagging??

carlthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, 

I had to go away for a few days and my brother was taking care of my cat. I though I had enough cat food but I was wrong.

Since I store my cat food in a air tight container he didn't know the brand to get. My brother went and cat food from the grocery store.I feed Carl Nutro Natural Choice and he gets wet food every two days. 

Well when I came home and fed Carl and about 2mins after he finished eating theses movement in his stomach area like he is going to throw up or burp and then would make a noise and open his mouth or shake his head but would not throw up. Almost like he was gagging. Then in the morning when I fed him again and thats when I notice the cat food was different and it didn't even smell like anything it was like cardboard. Carl was making these same movement and noises after he ate. 

I asked my brother about it and he told me just some Purina Cat Chow to hold him over until I came back.  

Carl has never done this after eats. What is going on with my eight month old cat?  Why is this food causing theses issues?

Cat Chow is soo BAD it doesn't even smell like cat food, it is like cardboard. I feel so bad Carl was eating that crap even for only three days. 

Do you think he will be okay, or is a vet visit in order?

This is my first cat but I have learned my lesson and will stock up on a few bags of cat food tomorrow morning and will leave a NOTE taped to the fridge with ALL the information regarding Carl. I'm still looking into raw food for Carl but will start to transition him into better dry food like Orijen or EVO until I can switch over to raw. 

Any and all advice is appreciated, 

Sarah

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sudden changes in dry food CAN upset a cats tummy. Especially going from a good quality to poor.  Are his stools normal?

I would get him back to his reg food asap and then see if he improves and these episodes stop. If they continue even after he has been back on his reg food for a few days, (may take a few days to see a difference), or if things decline,  then a vet may be a good idea.

Last edited: