New FIP Treatment - Lamivudine

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until a few years ago, a FIP cat was very much likely sentenced to death, because the disease had no treatments available.
Then, this GS-441 experimental drug came out and, though not approved by any authorities, it has been used on so may cats with a good level of success.
A few days ago, a person talked with me about this new drug, likely from the same manufacturer, which is called RetroMAD-1, which allegedly would treat not only FIP, but FIV and FeLV as well. I have received some documents and reports about this med and am reading them. It sounds promising.

Now, a vet who is following and treating a FIP cat at the shelter where I go to every now and then has suggested to continue the therapy of this cat with a human grade medicine, and anti-viral for human Hepatitis type B, which is called Lamivudine.
According to the vet, this med has the same efficacy of the GS, but because it is an approved med, it can be found more easily and at a much more affordable price. The protocol would remain unchanged, 84 days with this medicine, just like the GS.

I tried to look for info on Google, but couldn't find anything.
Does anybody of you know more about this?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Never heard of it until now. The only thing I found on the internet is this chain of articles (see below), which looks like the initial one is about cats. Seems to be centered around FIV. You may have found it already. I also checked the FIP Warriors site, nothing there for as far as I could look without joining the FB private group.
Pharmacokinetics of lamivudine in cats - PubMed (nih.gov)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link.
All the webpages I have found so far barely mention that drug, so I fear it has very little to do with FIP in cats.
Anyway, I found this article
Europe PMC
which is really informative on the three most dreadful infectious diseases in cats. I admit that I haven't read it all yet, but looks interesting.