New Feral Kitten

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Early in December I was asked to foster a feral kitten, about 7 months old.
Her mom wandered into an established feral colony and had 5 kittens. The mom was trapped and spayed and released. Three of the kittens were caught early on, in July I believe, and another one around the end of August.

The caretaker finally caught this little one, a mackeral tabby. I told her that I would gladly foster her, she was very shy for a few weeks, but now loves attention and is very sweet. I have grown so attached to her and want to keep her.

I slowly introduced her to my group. I thought that the 2 kittens that I had previously fostered and who are around her age would accept her readily. I had reservations about the older ones but they accepted the 2 other kittens so I thought things would work out.

The older ones are fine with her, it is the 2 kittens who are now around 11 months old that are not. They are not hurting her, but they chase her and she is very afraid.

They play Da Bird together without incident, they eat together every morning. There is no growling or hissing, just chasing to the point that she is always jumping up to higher levels. I don't want her to be fearful here with them, and as much as I would love to, I can't be here constantly to monitor.

I know that I should know what to do, but I would love some advice. Do you think they will all find their place, or will they turn more aggressive toward her. I do not want to think of them hurting her.

Thanks for any advice!!

buehler740

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they will be ok , they have to work out the pecking order themselfs, and I am certain if it comes to being afraid she will defend herself, what I like to do is put a dab of vanilla extract on all thier backs by thier tails they all smell the same for awhile , but I would just give it time it will work out, everytime I rescue a new kitty and bring it in they all go through establishing their own rules , it will be fine sounds like they are doing great so far and if she needs to she will let them know she is no push over nor the one to be picked on , just keep that baby as part of the family,

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that as long as there is no real aggression, there shouldn't be that big of a problem. Thank goodness for people like you! You obviously have a big heart!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you already using Feliway? If not, I'd give it a go.

Also, they may respond to a few drops of Bach's Rescue Remedy in their water dishes
http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm

And I'd just work on scent swapping and positive reinforcement. Rub new kitty all over with several clean rags, and rub one rag over both of the kitties having an issue with new kitty.

After a good da Bird play session, put treats down for them - hers on the rag that smells like the two, and for the two, on the rags that smell like new kitty.

Whenever you see them playing well together (like with da Bird) or just not being aggressive to her when you're around, praise them to high heaven. Give them more attention as the existing resident cats.

...just do your best to reinforce the positives, to help them think that having her around is a total party (when she comes in the room and you're there, get out toys and play or put down treats!), work on the scent swapping for further positive reinforcement... and just give it time.

What is the gender of the two kitties?

Our experience is that females are not good about intros of new females. It takes Spooky a full six months to stop hissing and swatting at a new female. Takes her a full year to completely accept the "new" female is part of the gang.

Our males never had an issue - until our last adoption. We adopted an almost 2-year old male feral, and Lazlo had SUCH an issue with him. He didn't actively attack him - but only because Bill is so submissive. It just ended up being aggressive "chase." BUT... after a few months, things hadn't changed a whole lot (and we'd been doing the positive reinforcement, scent swapping, total party thing - and praising Lazlo for just not being aggressive when Bill was around) - so we started giving Lazlo 5-minute time-outs in the bathroom when he got aggressive to Bill. The combination of all these things worked over time - took about 6 months. .....though it is one year and three months into this, and every once in a while Lazlo still rushes at Bill - but it's really only when Bill gets into his face at this point. (Bill still keeps trying to make friends!
).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the advice!!

Laurie, they are all females!! The two older kittens came from a litter of 4 females that I fostered. Two went to great homes and I kept the other 2.

This little kitten is also a female and she came from a litter of 5 female feral kittens.

Can you believe all of the females? The first four were spayed and four of the last group have already been spayed and they too are in great homes! I have a vet appointment set up for her, she will be spayed within the month.

Thanks again!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, then I'm gonna go with my "it's females" theory.
Some aren't jealous and are laid back - be we've never had anything but problems with female-female intros.

So yeah - doing all of the above will help, but I doubt they'll get more aggressive over time - I think they'll work it out. Females can just be so.... jealous and pissy.

So... also focus on giving the 2 11-month old girls more attention, and always give them the attention first. Even better if you can give them attention in front of the newbie, especially if she walks into the room.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is a great point. I have been making the mistake of just making such a fuss over the little one. My heart goes out to ferals and she was sort of left behind. Three of her sisters were caught early on. The fourth was caught in August, she was supposed to be caught with her, she just kept getting away from the caretaker.

The caretaker finally could get a hold of her in December. She is very tiny and so sweet. In fact she is on my lap right this minute. So I guess I do baby her quite a bit, I am just so grateful she is safe.

But I am going to take your advice and give the older kittens attention first and reinforce good behavior.

Thanks again!!

p.s. Laurie, you should see Zach, do you remember the story of him? The other day I let one of the dogs in, Zach was sitting in his cat tree by the door, he looked at me and ran out of the room! No more outside for him and that is the way he wants it! He is such a baby now, you can't pet him enough.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course I remember Zach! And that is just toooooooo sweet.
Just so many reasons to smile!

...and yeah, it is SO hard to not want to fuss over the newbie all the time, especially when they're all lovely dovey and SO happy and we're just SO relieved they're warm and healthy and happy - and rescued.
But it is important for the long run to make the fuss over the resident kitties first. It helps reinforce that their lives aren't changing for the worse because of the new kitty being around.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An update on things here. I have been reinforcing good behavior with the two older kittens. I have been trying to pay less attention to the new kitten, it is hard, she is just the cutest little mackeral tabby ever and soft like a bunny.

I am putting vanilla on them, does that really work? It makes me want to go and bake something!

I have really been watching them, the older girls don't hiss or growl at her, they just chase. She sort of cries and growls a little. They don't seem aggressive at all. She is just really fearful. I don't know if something happens when I am not around or if it is just because of her feral lifestyle.

My former feral who is now 4 and fully integrated with everyone used to always be a loner and was fearful of everyone and everything. Now she plays and eats alongside of the group. I don't know if the kitten being feral for months has anything to do with her being so fearful or not. It took years for Gracie to come out of her shell.

I just don't want this to escalate into this poor baby being terrified of the others.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, you ask an interesting question. Some ferals are REALLY social (with other cats ) - often moreso than hour pet kitties. So I think it's really personality, not feral or not feral. Billy is very submissive - but never gave up on trying to be friendly to the cat that kept chasing him (Lazlo).

I think she'll grow into her own, and I doubt very much it'll escalate from here - it'll ease as time goes on I suspect, especially with your efforts.