New Feral Kitten Not Eating or Drinking

cjstart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I was wanting advice. We took in a feral kitten after noticing that one of his siblings had gone missing and the other two had unfortunately died. He's most definitely weaned as we've seen mama cat bringing food and noticed that her teats aren't swelled as much as a still nursing mom cat's would be, but since their mom also had them on the roof of our apartment complex, there was no way for the kittens to get down until they were older and it's been well over a week since we last got rain. This is Texas so it's also very hot. We think the two siblings that died, died from dehydration and are very worried about the one that we took in as he's not showing interest in any food or liquid (water or kitten milk formula) that we give him, the liquid being more dire as we're pretty certain it's been a long time since he last had something to drink. He's not skittish and has adjusted to the new atmosphere well, so I don't think it's so much that he's scared or stressed by the move.

Any advice would be appreciated. My dad has gone out to look for a feeding syringe so that we can at least force feed and, more importantly, get some water into his system even if it is going to be a bit messier, but I'd really rather resort to the syringe only if absolutely necessary.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe forcing some water a few times might kick start his system and stimulate to drink on his own. First off, how long have you had him in your care? This can help determine at least some sort of estimated time he's been without food and water for us. Try lightly pulling up and pinch the skin between his shoulder blades- if it stays up and doesn't fall right back down it can be a sign of dehydration.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjstart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just took him in last night after finding his two dead siblings in front of our garage.

cjstart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I just pinched the skin up on his neck and it didn't move at all, so I would say very, very dehydrated.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Found this online-

Pedialyte for Dehydration
Severe dehydration usually requires immediate veterinary care to restore lost fluids. If your cat can't keep down any fluids or is refusing food or water, consult your veterinarian. However, mild dehydration can often be treated at home.
When your cat is dehydrated, he lacks several necessary elements, including electrolytes, sodium and potassium in addition to water. While water restores some mineral levels, it often doesn't restore them as quickly as Gatorade or Pedialyte, which have additional electrolytes.
Since Pedialyte is designed for infants and young children, it is a perfectly suitable substitute for your pet as well. In cases of severe dehydration, give your cat a few drops of Pedialyte every 10 minutes for an hour with an eye dropper to ensure that your cat is receiving the nutrients. After an hour, try to entice your cat to eat wet food diluted with water.
Often, adding Pedialyte to the water dish isn't sufficient since cats won't seek out water when they are dehydrated. Be sure to use unflavored Pedialyte since most flavors aren't enticing to cats. You can also add a little tuna or clam juice for enticement if you are hoping your cat will drink on his own.
If your cat refuses the dropper, offer Pedialyte in ice cube form. Even when refusing food and water, cats will sometimes lick ice cubes, which can help restore the nutrient levels if given frequently.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would get him to the vet for fluids.  You can try syringe feeding/ watering him, but he really needs to see a vet.

cjstart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. I was wondering if a vet visit would be a good idea even without the dehydration problem. We'll take him in probably tomorrow (too late now).

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok. I was wondering if a vet visit would be a good idea even without the dehydration problem. We'll take him in probably tomorrow (too late now).
Try to force some fluids.  You can use pedialyte or just water.  Get a small syringe and gently put a small amount in his mouth.  Then close his mouth to force him to swallow.  He will not survive if he doesn't get fluids. 

He should be seen by a vet also for shots, worming and other tests (FIV and FELV).  Also you want an age estimate so you can spay/neuter when he is of weight and age.

cjstart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've already started giving him little bits of water about once every twenty minutes and are going to mix a bit of food in with the water tonight. We'll also look into getting some flavorless pedialyte to also help.

cjstart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's much more alert and even purred a little this morning when I woke up and held him a bit. The pedialyte seems to be helping and he's going into the vet this afternoon to get a better analysis than any of us could give.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update.  I hope all goes well at the vet.  Update when you get a chance.

cjstart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will do

cjstart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: He's doing much better this morning. Actually decided to eat a little canned kitten food on his own. The vet said we had done well getting fluids and nutrients into him and noticed that the back of his tongue was terribly inflamed which is probably contributing to his low appetite or really not wanting to do anything with his mouth. He's been given an anti-inflammatory shot and we have some powdered pills to mix in with the fluids we're giving him to keep the inflammation down. He's actually beginning to bond with me (oh, no. we're trying to only foster him!) as I was trying to finish my morning routine and wrapped him up in his towel and put him in the bathroom where he's been staying overnight when we're sleeping and can't hold him. He promptly got out of the towel and sat on my foot. Needless to say, I decided to do my morning routine one-handed.

Anyways, overall, he's started mewing, getting up on his own, and his eyes are much brighter with the second eyelid not half closed anymore. Despite his ordeal (and being a third the weight he should. poor little dear), my family and the vet are confident that he'll pull through and make a good healthy companion.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update!  I am happy to hear he is doing better and will make a full recovery.  Sounds like you have a new buddy!  Thank you for rescuing him and taking such good care of him.

Btw, does he have a name?

cjstart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm thinking about Pipsqueek since he doesn't mew: he squeeks. ^-^

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm thinking about Pipsqueek since he doesn't mew: he squeeks. ^-^
That is sweet.  One of my former ferals who now lives in the house doesn't mew either.  He meeps.  His name is Marvin, but we call me Meeps, Meepers or MeMe.  It is just the cutest sound.

You know once you name them.....
!

cjstart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

That is sweet.  One of my former ferals who now lives in the house doesn't mew either.  He meeps.  His name is Marvin, but we call me Meeps, Meepers or MeMe.  It is just the cutest sound.

You know once you name them.....
!
Don't worry. I understand nicknames. All of our cats have a name and at least three unique nicknames (such as our one longhair has a nickname of "Bloomers" since her long fur stops suddenly partially down the leg so it looks like she's wearing bloomers =D