New feral house is finished (almost)!!!!

lochness350

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After looking into chicken coops and deciding we could make something a little more sturdy with our own design, we decided to build a feral cat house. Here it is! I am so excited.  It is triple layered with form board insulation surrounded by wood on both sides It is sealed and painted with a 20 year deck/fence paint and the roof is hinged for easy access. They have a pretty good size loft and two doors (one is set for escape only).  The patio fits them all at the same time so they are able to eat and drink water together. It is 36" off of the ground and we just need to install the metal flashing around the base to prevent raccoons from climbing up.  All in all I think it came out pretty good. Now I just need to fill it with straw and their microwaveable disks to keep warm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lochness350

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is the inside before it was painted. The dimensions are 38" long by 20" wide.  The entire height is 32" (on a slant) with the loft being set right in the middle at 16".

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! Beautiful job!! Those kitties are going to be very happy to have such a nice place to live (and a good friend like you!!)

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! I am really impressed. I really like the loft. Looks nice and roomy. Once you get the straw in there, it will be so cozy. What lucky kitties!

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an awesome shelter.  Your kitties will be very happy there.  Just be sure to not leave any food out at night.  That will greatly reduce the raccoons and other critters getting into the shelter.  Even with flashing, the raccoons will get up there.  I had some food on a table that was 36" off of the ground.  We had metal flashing all around it.  The raccoons still scaled it.  Once they sniff food they will not give up.

lochness350

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I figured the raccoons would still be an issue, so I absolutely intend on taking the food up every night.  It is the reason we put an escape door. It is a bummer because it will make it less warm, but I feel better knowing they can get out if needed.  Plus--I think they will like looking out the "window". =)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 3 feeding stations on my deck where my ferals eat.  I pick up the food each evening, but I do leave water out.  I have a heated water bowl on the deck and also near the cats shelter.  The raccoons always find the water and wash their paws!!  Yet they don't bother the cats as long as there isn't any food. 

Do you think you will have to train your cats to use the cat doors?  I didn't put one on my shelter as I was worried they would be too afraid to use it.  My shelter has  a large plexiglass window.  I wanted them to be able to see out, but more importantly I wanted to be able to see them!!  It gives me peace of mind knowing they are safe and warm.  My shelter consists of two parts.  I have a 6'x6' tent like shelter with the front flap about 1/3 of the way open.  Then inside I have a heated house with the window and 2 small rubbermaid boxes.  The heated house is heated with a hound heater and 2 heat pads.  My boys love it!!

Here is a picture

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! Is that ever impressive! I had used big heavy cardboard boxes, wrapped in heavy plastic tarps. They got blankets and quilts, etc., plus some Mylar on the inside, but yours is just remarkable. Those should be some warm, happy and well fed kitties, and the escape hatch for them is brilliant. Way to go!

lochness350

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most definitely they will have to be trained to use the doors. I have them propped open and will leave them that way until I know the cats are feeling comfortable with their new space. Then I will lower the flap part more and more each day until they know how to work them well and then I can close them.I agree with the wanting to see the cats which I why we built this shelter in the first place. We already have two Rubbermaid shelters underneath our deck and I cannot access them without doing the army crawl.  I know they use them but since I cut two holes in them for escape purposes, I don't know how warm they stay and our temps have been really low here.  They are completely out of the elements from wind, rain, and snow but I wanted them to have a space I could reach to put their microwaveable heated disks into.  You can't tell from the above pic, but the new shelter is somewhat sheltered due to our roof overhang. I think they will enjoy it once they get used to it but I will certainly keep there other shelters out just in case they prefer those. As long as I feel I am doing the best I can, I can sleep at night. =)

ShadowsRescue: That is an awesome set up! I am sure your kitties are in heaven and keep very warm.