New Family Member! (can you help us name him?)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you might remember that my husband lost his 17-year-old kitty Oberon and has been cat-less for about 2 1/2 years now. But, he's fallen for a sweetie from the SPCA and now we have a new family member!

New kitty is in the "integration room." Lily stays by the his door most of the time - she really wants to meet the new cat, while Sparkle is holding her ground by guarding the door to our daughter's room. So far, so good.

New kitty is very loving, very sweet, and it's difficult to get a good picture since he's always rubbing on you!

He has lots of fur between his toes and like to knead, as he's demonstrating.

He's 5 years old and was surrendered because the family couldn't afford him any more.

He has green eyes and his fur is white near the roots, then gets darker and darker towards the ends. Very beautiful!

If you don't help him come up with a name, I believe my husband might name the kitty Mistoffelees… actually, I kind of like Mr. Mistoffelees… rhymes with fleas...

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My goodness, Cat, he is gorgeous ..... just stunning

What a lucky baby to find a home, as an adult. You guys are the best!!!

My name to be put in the hat is Lyle.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I like the name you have chosen, Messtofolees (or however you spell it), but am curious as to what his BEFORE name was, since he's already 5 years old. Isn't he used to it? We adopted a 7 year old, and even though we weren't all that fond of his name (Sven), we kept it because he knew it very well and would always turn his head immediately when we said it.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohmigosh! He's gorgeous!
So great that you adopted an older kitty. He looks so comfortable already!!!

I have no clue about a name.
I just think he's beautiful!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks like a black smoke. (black guard hairs and white undercoat!) Just gorgeous!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

He looks like a black smoke. (black guard hairs and white undercoat!) Just gorgeous!!
In French that is FumÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e Noire

Pronounced..... foo-may N (as in no)-w (as in when)-are

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

I like the name you have chosen, Messtofolees (or however you spell it), but am curious as to what his BEFORE name was, since he's already 5 years old. Isn't he used to it? We adopted a 7 year old, and even though we weren't all that fond of his name (Sven), we kept it because he knew it very well and would always turn his head immediately when we said it.
His name was Simon, which my husband doesn't like. I mentioned to him the same thing you said about being used to the name, but the kitty doesn't seem to care either way. Besides, lots of people have a formal name for their cat but call them a nickname all the time, anyway. New life, new family, new name.
You make a good point, though.

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions!

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very cute and congrats on the new member! IDK but Smokey came to mind when I saw him.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do like the name you are thinking of, but if you want to change his name without changing the sound too much, I have a soft spot for Solomon -- appropriately dignified for such a handsome fellow, but adapts well to Silly Solly, when he's being a silly boy.

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's so beautiful. How's he doing? I love when people adopt adults. that's so wonderful.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by myfamiliars

What about Gouda?
ROFL!
OMG - That's my nickname for both my cats especially Penny! Oh my goodness I totally thought it was super unique. It's often "cuda" but equally as often it's "gouda". It started when someone said "kitty katty kooty" then that became "kitta katta koota" and that's how koota became gouda

myfamiliars

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you kidding me? I have a friend who has a long-haired gray cat, and I rarely call cats by their real names, so I wanted to call him Smoky (his name is Mouse). She said no because Smoky was too common, so I said I'd call him Gouda--and I do!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by myfamiliars

Are you kidding me? I have a friend who has a long-haired gray cat, and I rarely call cats by their real names, so I wanted to call him Smoky (his name is Mouse). She said no because Smoky was too common, so I said I'd call him Gouda--and I do!
That's too cute. Yup, koota is the root of cuda and gouda. I like the European ring to gouda and cuda (Gouda we know is a cheese. Cuda just sounds cute and Eastern European to me lol) I also call Penny "Pumpkin" and Daisy is sometimes "Plump-kin". I have tons of nicknames for my furbabes.