New dog won't get along with Cats

lolahjane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So to begin I have two doll face persians, one who is 2 and one who is 1, they are both used to attention and are best friends. When we got the second cat we were afraid that out first cat wouldn't get along with the new one which it took about a week for them to become best friends. So about 3 weeks ago my family rescued a westie dog who is 6 years old, he is very well trained, hasn't had one accident in the house, sleeps when he needs to, and plays when he needs to. He's really good at knowing what stuff is the cats and stays out but when he was a chew toy he destroys is to pieces. When we tried to introduce the cats to him they rain off and he chased after barking. Both have hissed at him which i've never heard them do ever. We've tried everything to get them to calm down, it's mostly the dog if he were to calm down the cats will start to ease up to him. In a year my daughter is taking the cats to college, so i would hate to get rid of the dog. If you have any suggestion please help!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi lolahjane, those dogs are so beautiful, I'm envious. Could we see photos of all three?

You were very lucky introducing your Persians, most introductions do not go so well. Here are some articles which will explain the process:

How to Safely Introduce a Cat and a Dog

Introducing Cats to Dogs

There are a lot of very experienced people here so please let us know how you are going. Someone will be able to assist. 

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
FYI, Westies are known to chase small mammals.  Please refer to the info in this link: http://www.westierescue.com/article.asp?ArticleID=5

When introducing our dog who was a large herding breed to our cat we kept him on a martingale leash.  We always had an escape route for our cat as well as a covered litter box.  Most dogs think cat feces are gourmet treats.
 We had a crate for our dog and used it for short breaks until we could trust him with the cat.  At first we would put him in the crate with toys and a treat, then let the cat roam freely.  When the dog was outside the cat also had free roam of the house.  With  time and patience the cat tolerated the dog and eventually they became best pals.  

It's good that you have 2 cats who have already bonded and can keep one another company.  The Westie is doing what is instinctive and comes naturally to his breed.  You can use treats for positive reinforcement and I suggest using the words, "Leave It" when he barks and tries to chase the cats.  All dogs should learn this phrase regardless.  It sounds as though he is a sweetheart and, as you said, well trained.  Does he know other commands?

Last edited: