New covered litterbox

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reneeteachj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that gets hair tumbleweeds. I get so frustrated when I vacuum one half of the house, then turnaround to do the other half and see dog hair everywhere already. I rarely see cat hair anywhere, although I know if we got rid of Buddy, I'd notice cat hair a lot more.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad made me a cabinet for my litterbox for my kitten as a 'welcome new kitten' present. Stoli loves it. It's just a wooden box kinda like a telephone stand with doors in the front and a hole on the side. It contains his litter, gives him his privacy and he can see out while he's doing his business.

Renovia

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

My dad made me a cabinet for my litterbox for my kitten as a 'welcome new kitten' present. Stoli loves it. It's just a wooden box kinda like a telephone stand with doors in the front and a hole on the side. It contains his litter, gives him his privacy and he can see out while he's doing his business.

Renovia
I love litterboxes "disguised" as furniture! Maybe someday I'll have one.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittyluver27

I don't know why that person said to not use covered litterboxes but thats just what they said. I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from using covered litterboxes, I was just trying to give some friendly advice. I probably should have said it a little differently then just stating that MOST cats don't like them. Sorry, that's just what a person suggested.
Kittyluver - that's exactly why we should never believe everything we hear/see and why I advocate not believing everything you see on the internet as well. And when we repeat what we hear it is more often rumour/gossip than fact/advice.

You'll find there are people here who have many years of experience/knowledge with cats - both pets and ferals - who offer sage advice on a regular basis. These folks have earned our trust so we know we can rely on the information they give us.

As I tell our sweet daughter, consider where the information is coming from and decide if it is a reliable source and then check up on it anyway.

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The problem with covered kitty boxes is that the smell can get trapped within the box making the cat not want to go into it. This is even more of a potential problem if there is a door on the box, if the litter is not odor-masking enough, if the cat(s) doesn't like to cover up, or if it isn't cleaned that often.

But, a lot of cats do prefer the privacy of a covered box despite it's drawbacks. I keep a covered box as well as two uncovered ones and I take special care to keep the covered box clean and it doesn't have a door (my kitties also like to stick their head out of the doorway, probably for the fresh air). There's a little odor-control pad embedded in the roof but I'm not sure how much it helps.

Usually, when all the boxes are clean my kitties tend to go in one of the uncovered boxes slightly more often, but when there are guests they are more likely to use the covered one.

My kitties are also really determined about getting the litter out of their boxes and even with the covered one they send it flying out the doorway. But, it seems that the more the litter flies, the better they like it

capt'n morgan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by furbum

The problem with covered kitty boxes is that the smell can get trapped within the box making the cat not want to go into it. This is even more of a potential problem if there is a door on the box, if the litter is not odor-masking enough, if the cat(s) doesn't like to cover up, or if it isn't cleaned that often.

But, a lot of cats do prefer the privacy of a covered box despite it's drawbacks. I keep a covered box as well as two uncovered ones and I take special care to keep the covered box clean and it doesn't have a door (my kitties also like to stick their head out of the doorway, probably for the fresh air). There's a little odor-control pad embedded in the roof but I'm not sure how much it helps.

Usually, when all the boxes are clean my kitties tend to go in one of the uncovered boxes slightly more often, but when there are guests they are more likely to use the covered one.

My kitties are also really determined about getting the litter out of their boxes and even with the covered one they send it flying out the doorway. But, it seems that the more the litter flies, the better they like it
Great post, furbum. I started another topic about our kitty's litterbox habit of flinging litter out of the box. It sounds like you have the same thing going on.

Mine doesn't seem to mind the door on there. She hasn't been one to poker her head out as she does her thing.

FYI, I introduced kitty to the litterbox the same way that many suggested here. I started with just the tray. Whenever I clean the box, she likes to be right there, and often IN there. I took advantage of one of those opportunities and put the cover on with her in there. She came out on her own, not scared, and went back in on her own. Bingo! I've tried the door a few times, but didn't feel that she felt comfortable with it. I finally left it on a few days ago. She goes in just fine, but the door stays pushed in about an inch or so. When it's time to come out, she doesn't push the door, she finagles herself under it comes out the way. I'm hoping as she gets bigger, she realizes she can push it out.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few months ago I got the larger Booda Dome (with the filter in the hood) and the stairs on the side to enter. This litter box has been a huge blessing. I keep it on a large towel, but the litter is no longer all over the floor and with hardwood floors I was always stepping in litter with my bare feet.

The stairs have little bumps on them that seems to clean the cat's paws as they exit the box. Apparently it is also good if you have a dog that likes to eat cat poo (I know - gross, but it happens).

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Thanks to all who've complemented Ollie - not bad for a street kitty, eh?! haha, and there's something about that pic that makes you think he's staring right into your eyes... when it was more like "too bad mama, your beloved PSU yoga pants are now my nest!"

I got my covered from walmart - about 12 bucks and it's great... the door just snapped off and it has the filter in the hood... I think another bonus to taking the door off is allowing the smell to disperse a little... I usually scoop 1 to 2 times a day (cuz thats usually how many times he poos) but he'll still readily use it if it's not sparkly clean... the dog has stuck her head in once or twice (like "what the heck?! the cat gets to go inside and I'm forced out in the rain, snow, wind, hail - woof!") then she gets a sniff of kitty pee and if she could talk, I bet she'd say "ack!" haha... I dont know how I ever dealt with a non-covered box before - all that litter flying around!

capt'n morgan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, I like the sounds and looks of this Booda Dome! That may be able to keep my kitty's litter and poo flinging!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furbum

The problem with covered kitty boxes is that the smell can get trapped within the box making the cat not want to go into it.
As long as it's cleaned and scooped regularly that shouldnt be a problem. After all, it should smell like a toilet to a cat! That's one of the things that makes them return to it and not go elsewhere. An overclean litter box can actually deter a cat from using it. As long as it's not really pongy! And even ones with doors aren't sealed units - there is a small gap between the door and the cover.