New computer hunting..tips?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

I've had my computer since...2002? Anyhow, its really starting to go down hill so Im thinking I should have an idea of what kind of computer to get if it stops working. Anyone have any suggestions for good but not too expensive brands? I know computers have gone way down in price since I've bought mine so I'm hoping I'll be able to find something fairly decent for not too much money
first thing, is what is main use for a computer?
work stuff?, internet email?, gaming?

next budget, do you want laptop or desktop?
if desktop, i would suggest talking to someone in your area and have them bulid you one. normaly it can be cheaper and better parts used then what you buy at a store or order on line.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Msn Messenger on my Mac all the time and have Ie on it also.
I like Safari better though.
I had a Dell laptop before but he will never go online.
I like Sony laptops and they are very helpful on the phone.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meowqueensdaddy

So, that's my Macintosh plug. Oh, and if you want to try it out, and you have an Apple retail store in your area, wander on over and play with the display computers. The employees will be happy to assimilate... uh, I mean, show you around.
gotta agree. worked on PCs for years, got my 1st mac my 1st year teaching. i've never personally purchased any other computer since then. yeah, the school uses PCs, so i know how to use them - but i've always preferred my mac [even before i could afford the most recent ones].

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my macbook! got it in January. it was expensive, especially compared to a PC laptop - but i don't regret spending the extra $$$!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

about the only programs I've seen not available are Ms Internet Explorer, and MS Messenger (which hurts me a bit... I have lots of friends on there). AIM is available, as is Yahoo Messenger. Skype (internet phone) is as well.
get Adium for your Mac. works w/yahoo messenger & MS messenger [and others, but those are the only 2 i know anyone on
].

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

I've had my computer since...2002? Anyhow, its really starting to go down hill so Im thinking I should have an idea of what kind of computer to get if it stops working. Anyone have any suggestions for good but not too expensive brands? I know computers have gone way down in price since I've bought mine so I'm hoping I'll be able to find something fairly decent for not too much money
Where do you live? If you have a Fry's nearby, I would recommend you check them for any refurbished computers. My last two were from them, dirt cheap, and as far as I could tell, actually brand new and upgraded.