New cats bullying resident cats

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I recently adopted 2 female cats around 2 months ago and they are the most loving and caring babies. They're both sisters, around 10 months old and they bonded with us right from the beginning. However, while they are tolerant and somewhat accepting of my resident cats, they haven't started bonding with them yet. Simply put- they think they own the place and my resident cats (who were already here before them) are the intruders/newcomers.

Most of the time there's no conflict but when it comes to meal time and I am preparing their food they both get very irritated when my other cats are around. Even when my resident cats 'meow' excitedly for food they get very defensive and swipe my resident cats as if to say "No MY Food, not yours." However, they do eat in the same place without any problems when I have set all the plates down.

Rosie, one of the females, is especially moody with my other cats and sometimes even with her own sister. And she's just one of those kitties that prefers the company of humans to other cats. I understand that it takes time for them to adjust to eachother but what can I do to make them more accepting of eachother?

Sadly, my resident cats Ollie and Percy have been quite upset about the new cats behaviour, especially Rosie so I really want things to work out.
(They're both persian cats, if the breed matters).
Thanks in advance.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you do the separation and slow introduction when you first brought the newbie sisters home? Though it can take a while, that is usually the best way to ensure a happy mix between the resident cats and newcomers.

Sadly, my resident cats Ollie and Percy have been quite upset about the new cats behaviour,
What kind of behaviour are they showing? If there's any signs of stress, such as litter box avoidance, spraying, not eating or sleeping normally, you might need to try separating the kittens to a different part of the home from the older cats, and trying a re-introduction.

Stress in Cats - The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite

How old are your resident cats, btw?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, to what rubysmama rubysmama said! And the IoveIy thing about cats is that there can aImost aIways be a do-over when it comes to introductions. Just take it sIow and easy. It doesn't have a timeIine, as you can't go faster than the most reIuctant cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you do the separation and slow introduction when you first brought the newbie sisters home? Though it can take a while, that is usually the best way to ensure a happy mix between the resident cats and newcomers.

What kind of behaviour are they showing? If there's any signs of stress, such as litter box avoidance, spraying, not eating or sleeping normally, you might need to try separating the kittens to a different part of the home from the older cats, and trying a re-introduction.

Stress in Cats - The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite

How old are your resident cats, btw?
Sorry for the late reply.

They were separated for around 14 days (quarantine) before they saw eachother. However, they were aware of each others presence as they would sniff each other from outside the door. I did follow the slow introduction process and it has been 2 months since the adoption.

Mostly, they have accepted eachother but it's just that the new cats are feeling somewhat territorial in our home and my resident cats get upset about this. And it's mostly at meal times. Or sometimes I would be on the bed with my resident cat and the new cats would want to join me but when they see my cats they would just leave and vice versa.

My resident cats are both 2 years old.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That doesn't sound too bad actually. As long as there's not any actual fighting, you know with fur flying or blood shed. Or any of them showing signs of stress.

Maybe try having yummy treats for them, when they're all together, like on your bed. And ensure there's lots of space for them to get away from each other, when they need a break.

Here's a couple more TCS articles that might be helpful:
The Multi-Cat Household: An Owner's Manual for Healthy, Happy Cats - TheCatSite
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) - TheCatSite

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That doesn't sound too bad actually. As long as there's not any actual fighting, you know with fur flying or blood shed. Or any of them showing signs of stress.

Maybe try having yummy treats for them, when they're all together, like on your bed. And ensure there's lots of space for them to get away from each other, when they need a break.

Here's a couple more TCS articles that might be helpful:
The Multi-Cat Household: An Owner's Manual for Healthy, Happy Cats - TheCatSite
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) - TheCatSite
Thank you. Will try that

Zara12345

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: My new cats have slowly gotten used to my resident cats. They have even accepted some of my foster kitties but both the sisters still seem to be having a problem with one of my resident cats, Percy.
Percy is a domestic long hair and he's the most gentle, loving cat ever. He has the softest meow and gets along amazingly with my fosters and sometimes even helps me take care of them. However he is a big boy weighing about 6 kgs (13+ lbs) and my 2 persians are just shy of 3kgs (7 lbs). Could his size be intimidating them?
He's the most loving boy and he always avoids conflict with other cats. He even avoids the Persians but sometimes they don't even let him pass in the corridors and snarl and swipe at him as if to say "back off". It's so upsetting to see them do this to him especially coz Percy is a gentle giant and means no harm at all.

Could his size be the problem? I've been observing them for a while and so far Percy has never initiated a fight/conflict or even retaliated. Last night however, Rosie and Percy almost got into a fight and I am looking for ways for them to accept each other and see him for the gentle boy he really is.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, poor Percy. I'm not sure what to suggest. Just maybe giving them yummy treats when they're together, so Rosie will associate Percy with good things.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried rubbing a towel on Percy and then rubbing it on Rosie? Doing this for a couple of days may help to build a family scent for them.

Is Rosie getting enough playtime to get out any nervous and/or aggressive energy? Some passive enrichment may also help.

When they're in a smaller space together, like crowded around for food, it may help to place a chair so that's there's different levels. It helps a cat to feel less intimidated.