New Cat Won't Stop "playing"

madammagikarp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What can I do! I got a new cat back in February, he isn't necessarily a brand new kitten, A little over a year old. But he is a little I guess "challenged" he was previously a feral cat who was attacked by a dog. Which broke his jaw and he needed surgery to remove his front canines. Now he is the biggest sweetheart in the world and has no issues with people and other cats. We have two in our home, an older male who is 13 and a younger female who is about the same age as him. After introducing we expected him to hopefully play with our younger one who needed someone as the older one is a bit of a grump and has no interest in playing. As we've had him though it seems like our new one may have some mental issues from the dog attack, not just physical. Primarily it looks like he possibly has some developmental or learning issues in the social Aspect. The young one and him will play but he can't seem to figure out when she is done and keeps going. He will also start trying to play with the older one and will continue to play until we are forced to separate them. He just doesn't seem to understand what hissing means and can't pick up that they are done. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to deal with this? They all get along well normally, its just when he gets in the mood to play and sometimes at night when he gets a bit more energy. It may just need time but I feel bad for my older cat, he is starting to get extremely tired of the new one that won't leave him alone. Thank You!

aimeelou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cannot help with this, but i would love to follow any feedback or comments you recieve as we had to rehome our youngest cat for this exact reason on the vets advice but there was not such a age difference only 18 months but we even explored if the kitten had 'difficulties' of some kind as she was semi-feral but from a very loud family with young children who were picking them up, dropping them etc, and she displayed a few odd traits which almost made us think she was a little 'behind' in some aspects but was physically and medically healthy. She'd not let up on our male cat, from being a tiny 8 week old kitten to 7 months, the longer it went on and the more she settled the worse she was, he'd play but then he'd get fed up, but she'd carry on going until they were both squeaking or he'd jump on her that hard you'd hear her little body hit the floor but she'd get back up and carry on and it just became relentless and they both ended up in the vets with stress and me keeping them in seperate parts of the house, but when they saw each other they'd be grooming each other and snuggled up together but those quiet moments were few and far between.
I have wanted to rehome a new kitten recently but this exact experience put us off.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd find ways for you to engage and play with your younger cat so that the other ones gets a break. That way the burden of trying to wear him out is on you :)