New Cat Wont Stop Hissing/growling

linds2205

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Apologies in advance for the novel below, but any advice is appreciated!

I adopted a new 6 year old male just two days ago from a loving home who had him for his entire 6 years. I had cats all growing up and figured he would be shy, hiss if I tried to be near him, etc. I have a small apartment and live alone with no other pets, so I did not set up a singular room for him to be kept in at first (which may be the root of this problem?) but here's where the issue is:

He only hid about half of the time the first day I brought him back, but if he is sitting on a chair in the living room and I walk by to grab my phone (still maintaining about a 4-foot distance) he starts hissing and growling at me. Makes sense -- he is scared. But then yesterday I come home and he is rubbing on my legs, meowing and doesnt seem threatened. I did what all the advice said and talked softly to him and did not look him in the eye. Just let him do his thing. But the confusing part is throughout the night he would come up to me and I would hold out my hand to let him sniff and he would rub and even purr some, then flip and start hissing and batting at me. He also was standing not too far from my bedroom entrance while I was on the bed (where he likes to be if I am not in the room) and did a little call for him to come forward and he ran towards the bed AND onto it hissing at me the whole time then hops off and ran to the other room.

My biggest question is this: how do I react to the hissing?
Like I said, my place is small. And once he gets upset and starts hissing, he stands his ground and will lurch at me if I dont leave. Thing is he has started doing this to major areas like the entrance to my kitchen, and will not let me go by or around him. I dont want to upset him and make him come after me by proceeding with my path and ignoring him, but also cannot have him thinking he can stand guard in random areas I need to access to and suddenly make my entire apartment "his territory". Am I on the right track with the cat or am I doing something wrong?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for taking him in! I'm not an expert but I think I'd contain him back into one room for a while. Pet him there if he approaches you first, play with him there, feed etc him there. He has a lot of new smells and sounds to take in, not just from your place but from outside of it as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linds2205

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for taking him in! I'm not an expert but I think I'd contain him back into one room for a while. Pet him there if he approaches you first, play with him there, feed etc him there. He has a lot of new smells and sounds to take in, not just from your place but from outside of it as well.
Do you think it is a problem if it is a room I have to be in a lot also? He seems to like my bedroom the most and that's where he would hang out most of the time when I first got him, but I also have to be in there to sleep and such which he does not like me doing in the same room as him. I have somewhat of a studio-style apartment so theres only two real rooms - bedroom and living room/kitchen.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
He is reacting of course because he is fearful but at the same time wants human contact. It creates quite a dilemma for him. If you respond negatively or if he senses that now you are nervous it can make him even more defensive. So try this. It doesnt work with all fearful cats but with some - when he starts hissing or growling start talking to him softly and quietly, baby talk telling him he doesn’t need to be afraid, he is a good boy etc. And other than talking to him I would just ignore him. If he is blocking your way you can stick something like a cookie sheet or a waste basket between you and him not to push him away but just so if he tries to swipe he cant get you (but he will likely move out of the way first).

If this guy has been in a loving home for six years he will probably settle down quickly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yeah studios don't have a lot of room, I remember! Well, I like susanm9006 susanm9006 s thinking, and maybe swap rooms with him for just a little while? Hmmm...

linds2205

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is reacting of course because he is fearful but at the same time wants human contact. It creates quite a dilemma for him. If you respond negatively or if he senses that now you are nervous it can make him even more defensive. So try this. It doesnt work with all fearful cats but with some - when he starts hissing or growling start talking to him softly and quietly, baby talk telling him he doesn’t need to be afraid, he is a good boy etc. And other than talking to him I would just ignore him. If he is blocking your way you can stick something like a cookie sheet or a waste basket between you and him not to push him away but just so if he tries to swipe he cant get you (but he will likely move out of the way first).

If this guy has been in a loving home for six years he will probably settle down quickly.
Thanks for the advice! I will give that a try. Do I stand my ground if he starts hissing and swatting at me? or do I back away and walk to another room. Not sure which is best practice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Other than talking to him in a positive voice, just go about your business as normal, which is kind of standing your ground in a way. It's one of the things he's having to get used to, and he will. Thank you for being such a caring cat person!

linds2205

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay got it. I will try keeping this all in mind and implementing some of the advice after work today. thank you all!!