New cat won't eat.

zelskid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got this new cat named Lola.Won't eat and is shy. I guess I have to be patient.. 

Last edited by a moderator:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello @ Zelskid and Lola,
Is this the 1st day that Lola is back to your house?
She may be shy because of a new environment. It's normal for them to hide. But do not scare her by pulling her out of her hiding. Just speak softly and calmly and let her get use to your voice.
Slowly entice her to come out with a wand toy or place a small amount of food where she is and move away so that she don't feel threatened.
Yes, just be patience with her and let her get you to you and let her roam the room she's in and later slowly introduce her to the whole house.
Please post photos of her and introduce yourself in New Cats on the Block ;)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New cats are very shy and very scared. It may take weeks to months for you to finally see the 'real' personality come out. It is also not unusual at all for them not to eat, you know how your stomach feels when you are scared. She may be also used to a particular food and cannot eat what she is not used to. I would tempt her with treats, tuna, and sliced meats, any thing you can get her to eat, and then worry about changing her diet later. Cats hate change, and she has gone through some very big ones. I have had cats that have stayed under the bed for a month for more, only coming out at night to eat and use the litter box. You might just sit in the same room with her several times a day and talk to her. Encourage her to come to you with a cat wand, or treats. She'll warm up to you eventually, and you will have a lifelong companion who will love you very much. All the luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zelskid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got her to eat Fancy Feast

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Got her to eat Fancy Feast
Welcome!!  

That''s great news! Fancy Feast usually does the trick. I have 3 very picky eaters at my house and when they are all being fussy, I break out the one food they often cannot resist- Fancy Feast turkey kitten food. It's my secret weapon. 

I also add toppers like plain cooked chicken or turkey breast, crumbled Pure Bites freeze dried chicken breast treats or if things get REALLY bad and they refuse everything- no salt added canned sardines packed in water. Boy do they stink but the cats love them. 

zelskid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She now eats. The seller gave me about $200 in supplies including 2 cases of Fancy Feast. I opened a can and she started eating

zelskid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She and my other cat ignore each other.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

She and my other cat ignore each other.
How long have they been together? Ignoring each other while they get used to one another is better than having them fight that's for sure. This can change though. My Sophie pretty much ignored Henry when he first came to live with us. There was never any tension or anything between them, she was just like, "OK. You're here. So what?" He's been with us for over a year now and lately, he has been seeking her out when she is in the bed with me and he will curl up beside her which she allows. They have never fought or anything but they are slowly becoming bonded. My Lilith was the one to welcome him into the house first. She would sit in his safe room with him for hours just keeping him company. When he finally decided to come out of his safe room, it was then that she made it perfectly clear to him that she is the undisputed alpha in our house but since then, she has largely ignored him unless he does something she doesn't like and she needs to lay down the law again. Fortunately, no one has ever gotten hurt at all. 

zelskid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just 15 hours

zelskid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now they are hissing at each other.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Now they are hissing
It might be best to separate them for a while. Normally, we advise people to introduce cats to each other slowly. We have a guide that it really helpful on how to do that. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide

The hissing may have to do with the first cat feeling threatened. Many cats are territorial and it can take time for them to accept a newcomer. For the new cat, he/she is in a new environment with new sights, sounds, smells and a strange cat so they need an adjustment period as well. Feliway plug ins and sprays can help. 

zelskid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feliway plug ins and sprays?

zelskid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They will get along eventually

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@Zelskid

That's a good looking Lola.

It's ok if she eats a little which is better than not eating.
Hope the two cats can get along well soon so that it'll be less stress between them.

Last edited:

zelskid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Again Lola acts hungry but won't eat

zelskid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise