New Cat Troubles

jacobmarley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About a week and a half ago I brought in and adopted a stray cat that had been living outside at my parents home. Two months ago we had him neutered and vaccinated for rabies. He was a very calm and cuddly cat who always wanted to sit on your lap. The vet say they think he is probably a year old. About a week and a half ago we brought him to my home to become an inside only cat. The day before we brought him in we got him vaccinated and tested for FELV/FIV/HW and the results we negative on those. He was great at adjusting to the new place. He never hide and was eating and playing right away. For about the first week he was always playing, exploring, and gettings into trouble. The problem is that the last couple days he does not want to play at all and all he does he sleep. He is still eating and drink and uses the litter box as he normally did. He does not act like he is sick or in pain, he doesn't hide and seems very responsive to petting and he still enjoys sleeping right out in the open on his back. I have noticed he sometimes sneezes and some discharge stuff from the eye. Since he is still new and has always been outside it's hard to tell if this is just the way he is or if something is wrong. Could it be that this is just a side effect from the vaccinations? Any advice on this would be great.

Thanks.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey! Welcome to the forums! It's so awesome that you have decided to share your home with a stray. I don't have experience with this particular issue but have you tried calling your vet?

Is the discharge a lot? How often is the sneezing?
If it's only a little, I personally would not be too concerned (but would still call my vet just to ask) because he is eating and drinking normally and using the litter box just fine.

I hope you find what's up with your little one! If he's sleeping on his back in the open he must trust you already!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome! It's so wonderful you took in a stay cat, did all the right things for him and he adjusted so well to being inside full-time - the safest and healthiest place for him.

It sounds like he has an upper respiratory infection (URI). This is very common for cats experiencing a lot of change. A trip to the vet is in order to check for sure and probably gets some meds to take care of it.

Congratulations on the new cat. He's a lucky guy, and you are, too.

We want pictures!

Robin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacobmarley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies so far.

The sneezing and eye thing does not happen often at all. I may only hear him sneeze once a day but it is in a way that it is a little different than just a normal sneeze. I will contact the vet and see what they have to say about this.