New Cat Suddenly Doesn't Like Me Anymore.

naturaGodhead

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I've recently adopted a 3 year old male cat named Bojack. He's a tiny little longhaired cat and he's very sweet, or at least he was until yesterday. Before then he was sleeping in my lap or on my chest every chance he got, and always took the chance for nuzzling up against my face. I had some issues getting him to eat for a few days but otherwise it seemed like a perfect match. Then yesterday afternoon my roommate allowed his dog to chase Bojack up the stairs to my room after I asked him to make sure he did NOT chase him. Of course his dog was barking very loudly while Bojack cowered under my bed. Now, on the same day I had held him still while putting his new collar on and he struggled and whined a bit, but forgot about it fairly quickly. After that, he allowed me to pet him very briefly once, and now is refusing to let me touch him at all, sleeps in other parts of the room rather than with me, and no longer meows or nuzzles against me. I feel like I've lost the trust we built in the first couple of days and it's making me extremely depressed. He's even been scratching at my door as if he wants to get out. Have I ruined my relationship with him? Can it be fixed?

I also should add that he still wants to play, but only in a rough way with biting and scratching.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You didn't ruin your relationship with him but the dog probably messed things up and the cat doesn't feel safe. There are ways to introduce a cat and dog, probably articles on this very site.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and I am sorry you having this issue. I have never tried to introduce my cats to a dog. I would have a serious talk with your room mate. It is not ok for him to allow the dog to chase your cat like that. Do not let Bojak go outside no matter how much he cries.

Your cat does not actually hate you and can learn to trust you again. It is just going to take some time and patience on your part. Your baby is just really scared of the dog right now. I think you can re-build your relationship over time. The key thing here is that Bojak has to be allowed to be safe in his own home. Can you set-up a safe space in your room for now. Put his food, water, litter and some toys in there with him. It sounds like he needs time to calm down. The biting and scratching when playing is either play aggression or re-directed aggression. As for re-building the trust. This is going to take time. The key is to let Bojak set the pace. He has to be able to decide when he wants to interact with you. Sit on the floor in your bedroom and just talk to him about anything or read a book out loud. Allow him to come to you to interact. You can use play to re-establish a relationship with him. I am going to post some article that may be helpful to you.

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. So sorry your roommate let their dog chase your cat. Poor Bojack may be having re-directed aggression towards you because of the dog. Here's an article on the subject: Re-directed Aggression In Cats

catlover73 catlover73 has already posted the other TCS articles that may have helpful ideas for you. Good luck.