New Cat, Staying inside covered litter box!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jrsnyder101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kinda scary..I looked through both links. It looks like something we will need to do. Not looking forward to it though.
Should probably wait til she's a bit more comfortable here?

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kinda scary..I looked through both links. It looks like something we will need to do. Not looking forward to it though.
Should probably wait til she's a bit more comfortable here?
I would. It might be a good idea to start gently handling her paws when she is super happy and content so she gets used to you touching her paws so she knows you won't hurt her. Your other option would be to have a vet, a groomer or even maybe see if the SPCA would do a nail trim for you. My vet charges something like $10.00 for a nail trim.
I typically only do the front paws and do maybe two or three nails at a time so as to not really overwhelm Kitty. I wait until she is practically asleep before attempting any nail trimming. Whenever we have to go to the vet, I have them do a full nail trim so that I don't have to deal with it!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I trimm my boy's claw while he's sleeping or when he looks drowsy. That way I get to trim all his claws.
What HelooMissKitty said is right, on normal days or everyday, few times a day, just handle his paws without the clipper in sight. Let your kitty get use to your touching and handling of his paws and gently squeezing the paw to extend out the claws. You have to perform this action in order to clip the claws.
If your kitty's claws are transparent, it'll be easier to clip because you'all be able to see the 'quick', that is the blood vessel which you would not want to clip it nor your kitty like it too as it'll bleed. If the claws are black, then special precautions are needed.
Do not rush to finish all claws. Do it one at a time till your kitty is comfortable and relaxed while you are clipping. Otherwise he'll freak out and run and hide each time he sees the clipper in your hand.

jrsnyder101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Francesca,
Today is day 9 of food transition. There is only a tiny bit of the old, maybe 90% new. She has done great!
Yesterday we dtarted the transition to new litter, very gradually.
Her food is in the opposite corner of box.
Today I woke up to 3 small spots of soft stool near her food. I peeked in box, there was activities there.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance! :)

dpark03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two new additions we're very frightened when they first came and also stayed hidden in their covered litter box I remove the cover for a few days so that they didn't feel that that was a hiding spot they found new places to hide in their Cubbies behind the couches and they quit using the litter box to hide in at that point I was able to put the lid back on. Thankfully now they are well adjusted to the home and everyone in it.

jrsnyder101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Francesca is always in my lap, especially when I am in bed.
Now she has taken to slithering up inbetween the sheets! Into my lap, or even when I am not there! [emoji]128153[/emoji][emoji]128058[/emoji][emoji]128156[/emoji]

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Francesca is always in my lap, especially when I am in bed.
Now she has taken to slithering up inbetween the sheets! Into my lap, or even when I am not there! [emoji]128153[/emoji][emoji]128058[/emoji][emoji]128156[/emoji]
It's official: she has picked you to be her person [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

jrsnyder101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we have had Francesca now, our senior kitty from SPCA for 2 months now. Its been a delicate road, but we appear to be a very happy family. She eats great, she uses litter great, she sleeps between the sheets in my spot all day, and with us at night.
My husband travels for work. The drive is usually 5 hours or so. We do have a carrier, she was calm on the way home. WE have a large tote for litter, can just pop the lid on uand throw it in back of truck. The trips are 1-4 days. I am fine to stay home with Francesca until she is ready. How can I tell if she's ready? How can I prepare her? Is this even an option?
Thanks so much!

jrsnyder101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@HelloMissKitty
I so appreciate all info you have given on the subject!