New Cat Room

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Wow thats really nice! Love the floors.
The flagstones were already there. All I added were the screens around two sides. I got some of the junk cleared out so I could take more pictures.

This is looking from the door toward the east.

This is looking back at the door into the house. The little white square on the lower left side of the door is the cat flap. How many cats can you see in this picture?

The kitties still haven't quite figured out the swinging door thing. I caught Cali trying to hook her claws on the edge of the flap to pull it toward her instead of pushing through it to go out. Then later Goldy was doing the same thing from the outside.

bianca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is so nice! You're cats are lucky

They'll figure out the cat flap eventually

pearlspink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love the cat room.  I currently have a cat room we are adding a addition on to the room and making it a screen room.  What would be a great flooring?  Should I use gravel or leave the grass I want it to be very much like natural surroundings. !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS :wavey:

My patio already had the flagstones, so I just left it. Grass would be nice but would also present some challenges. If your room is enclosed with a roof you'll need to water the grass regularly. Check the angles as well to make sure it will get enough sun all the way across.

With gravel you'll want to watch to make sure the kitties don't start using it for a litter box. I ended up putting a litter box out on my patio to try to stop them using the dirt under the rose bush. It works . . . mostly. :rolleyes:

How large of an area are you planning to use? You could go with flagstones or brick, but that can get expensive pretty fast. Or maybe leave the grass and put in some stepping stones to make paths.

Somebody else may come up with more ideas. I'm sure there are lots of interesting things you can do to make it fun for the fur kids.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a sunroom, but no conversion was necessasry - the condo came that way when I got here. Mom was excited about having a sunroom when she first read about it, but she never used it. Patricia, seeing it was the only place in the condo with sunlight on the floor, waited at one of the sliding glass doors to be let out every day until the air conditioner became a necessity.

I will not specifically look for a house with a sunroom, but I do want to design a large cat room with three glass/screen walls attached to the house.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow!!!! What lucky kitties to have an enclosed sunroom like that. I have not seen those pictures before today. Glad the thread got bumped up :clap::clap: Really, really neat and I would love something like that for my kitties. Oh they would just spend all day out there! :clap: :D