New cat pees 5-6 times every 24 hours...is this a concern?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I was also going to say that depending on her size, she may have a smaller bladder. I have 2 cats. One cat always seems to pee larger puddles. She's a larger sized cat, too. My smaller, petite little girl doesn't have such large puddles and she seems to go more often. The one with the larger puddles has kidney issues and the other doesn't. Go figure!
Good point. Oh, and thanks for the tip about an ear thermometer. So I can just buy any decent one that's good for humans and it should be pretty accurate with the cats? That's awesome because doing a rectal temp with a digital therm. is pretty much impossible unless you have someone to help, which I don't LOL.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't even want to try a rectal thermometer on my cat at home! When we got our thermometer, I just went down to the local Walgreens and found one that wasn't the cheapy variety, but wasn't the high dollar one either. The one I purchased uses the little plastic ear probe protectors. For the kitties, I don't change them out, I just clean them with alcohol and reuse them until the kitty feels better.

Edited to add: When taking the temp, I gently pull up & back a bit on the ear flap, then gently put the probe in the ear canal. It takes less than a minute to get the temp.

lifeofreilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My rescue kitty pees like yours! More even. And he went to the vet 2x because it scared me! My previous cat was at 2-3 then 4 a day when CRF worsened. My vet said- fine, some cats pee that much. I've had him 2 1/2 months, removed all dry food- got him on high quality grain-free, & nothing has changed except I don't think he ever drinks water anymore but I still get 5-7 double golf balls a day! He also poops 2x a day on average. He's a big cat. At 15 lbs he is in the ideal range on the charts. So- I don't know- but Ive known my vet for 17 years & she never steered me wrong before.