New Cat Peeing Next to Water Bowl - not medical reason

thbtbt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a new feral kitty I rescued 3 weeks ago and is living in a safe room in my home.

She went through a slight stomach upset 2 weeks ago but is feeling much better - using the litter box every day and bowel movements appear healthy. She eats regularly and plays every day. However...

In addition to peeing in the litter box (a couple of times a day only, no straining), she has also started to pee next to her water bowl. I have never seen her drink out of her water bowl so I don't know if she even drinks water. I add water to her wet food to make sure she's not dehydrated. The first time I noticed it, I moved the water bowl and blocked off the area so the enzyme cleaner had time to work where she peed. The next day, she peed next to the water bowl again where I had moved it. I provide fresh bottled water in a clean stainless steel bowl every day so I don't believe it is for lack of clean water.

My question is, outside of medical reasons, does anyone have experience with a cat who simply liked to pee next to (or even in) their water bowl? If so, did you find a way to encourage her to drink the water instead of peeing in it?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Other than medical reasons, the only thing I can think of, is that your cat does not like where you placed the water bowl. Have you tried moving the bowl at different places? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thbtbt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep. Moved the bowl to three different places and each time she says "oh hey look - a new place to pee"

I swear I believe she thinks water = pee. I read somewhere that feral cats tend to pee in water to mask the scent of their urine to elude predators. Maybe that's what she's doing? Old instincts die hard? My vet said so long as I add water to her food and she doesn't mind that, she'll stay hydrated.