New Cat Owner

Jessielou0724

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello my name is Jessie. I recently got a new kitten and her name is willow. She hide for a day then she came out. She is asleep in my bed a short we speak. I showed her the litter box and she has never had a accident. Well then my fiancé said I could get another one. I went back yesterday and got willows sister we named her Luna. Well the previous owner said she got hit by a car but she is fine. But she won't come out of hiding so I just leave food and water out. Any advice on having sibling kittens and anything else. I've never owened a cat before so any informations is welcomed. I'm calling tommorow to set them up with a vet. I just ordered 32 cans of wet food and 3.5 lb dry food. All I have now is hard food. How much should I feed them? And do they need separate litter boxes. I can't get the newest sister out so any advice on getting her used to me. I will upload pictures tommorow if anyone would like to see them

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! We’re glad to have you here! And yes, please do post pictures of Willow and Luna! We LOVE seeing cat pictures around here! How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Regarding your question on how much to feed your new kittens, you can get more specific advice over in the Cat Nutrition Forum (Cat Nutrition) but I’ll link you to an article to get you started: How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

It is normal for cats to hide when they’re in a new environment. So, Luna, like Willow, will probably come out soon, when she’s ready. Here’s an article that will give you more info on that: How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?

Regarding litterboxes, the usual recommendation is one per cat plus one, so that cats don’t feel like they have to compete over resources.

Again, welcome, and please don’t hesitate to ask any other questions that you might have. TCS is a very supportive community, and everyone is always more than glad to help out. :)

See you around! :wave3:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
870ED98F-5F25-40BE-9789-CBC9CC0A1E02.jpeg
Jessie, Willow and Luna, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
1FE73259-852C-44E2-8E4D-E15E1AD0F039.gif
to all of you.

Glad that you’ve joined us and you are in the right place for all things cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Create A New Thread
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Having new cats to a new place, most of them they will go into hiding as they are not used to the new surroundings, sounds and sights. You have to be very patient with them and it takes some time before they gain confidence and courage to come out of hiding.

You can lure them out with food or a cat wand but just do not pull them out of hiding or chase them out of it. Keep yourself as low as you can and speak to them in a soft gentle way and keep calling their names. Leave some of your clean unwashed clothings around them so that they can get used to your scents when you are not around. Also get some towels and place it where they are and after they have their scent on them, place the towels around the room where they are so that when they come out, they have familiar scents and that will boost their confidence. Scents are very important.

In the meanwhile, try to plug up any hidey holes that are in the room that they can run in to hide. It takes time, love and patience and routine and once they trust you, they’ll be out soon.

As for feeding, kittens are growing and they needs lots of proteins and nourishments from wet food. Feed them wet food as much as they can eat at one sitting and feed them 4-5 times a day. You can never over feed a kitten. Here are some threads on feeding kittens :-
Feeding A 5 Month Old Kitten?
Is Kitten Food Necessary?

We love to see photos of them so please post photos of them please.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: And congrats on being a new cat "parent". :petcat:

Links to a bunch of great articles have already been posted, but here's one more that may have helpful hints for you: First-time Cat Owner's Guide

We love pictures, so definitely post pics of Willow and Luna when you can. :camera:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you, Willow and Luna! How sweet that you were able to give sisters a home together. Feel free to post any questions that you have about your kittens and their care! You have a community to help you now.

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congrats on getting you kitties! I hope you have many happy years with them :)

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for rescuing sisters(and a big thanks to your fiancé). Be patient and loving. But also understand that cats,like people,are different. One may be more aloof than the other. Or you might wind up with two attention hogs that vie for your affections. Just enjoy what they give you,for it will always be a blessing.