New cat owner neutering/behaviour question

kino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. Firstly a bit of background. I recently became a cat owner for the first time after having dogs all my life (so *lots* of research needed). Our cat came from an acquaintance, is male and "about a year" old. He came from a multicat home where he spent loads and loads of time outside. We have had him about four weeks, and in many ways he couldn't care less if we are there or not but he is mainly trouble free with only a slight problem with spraying that seemed to go away after removing the feliway diffuser (I think he's that small % of cats it doesn't work for). So there is the background.

Anyway, he's in need of a trip to the vets. The previous owners told us he was due boosters of vaccinations and I have read much about the health benefits of neutering and so thats the plan. So here we come to the actual question, what kind of behavioural changes did people see after having their cats neutered? I am really interested in personal experiences. Many people say their cat became more cuddly and loving but so far our guy hasn't really shown interest in being that way (he only wants humans to feed him/throw toys for him). Do most people see behavioural changes or is it quite varied? I have to admit to being slightly worried that if he loses his interest in playing a bit then I have lots a way to bond with him and he might try to move out. 

Thanks in advance

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
We've had two stray males come inside and get neutered and I can say that, in our case, the main change was that they both calmed down and were much less interested in 'male' things and dominance.

Our Random, used to puff and hiss at everyone (clear dominance displays), but after neutering, he gradually (over about 2 weeks) stopped both and actually grew quite cuddly with the other cats.

My childhood cat, Alex, stopped wandering as far (he was allowed outside) after neutering and tended to stay within an acre of our property for the most part.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Neutering your male cat is the only way to go.  It should not interfere with his desire to play and should help make him a better pet for you.  Like the spraying urge is decreased and they lose the desire to roam.

Cats love routine so try to set aside the same time everyday to have a play session.  I play right before bed time and I think it helps them sleep at night.  Cats like to get up really early and anything I can do to get them to sleep a bit later in the morning is a good idea.

Do you have any other pets?  Are you planning in keeping him indoors only?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
IME, neutering calms down a cat, though it can take a month or so for the difference to become obvious. The shelter kittens are spayed or neutered at about six months of age, and the males in particular become cuddlier. I haven't noticed at all that it makes them any less playful, and it stops the spraying, though again that can take a few weeks till the hormones are out of their systems.