New Cat Owner - Adopted 6mo Stray

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There’s a thread here for baby food, they said Gerber stage two doesn’t have bad ingredients also. They suggested as a treat only or they will hold out for it:)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow.... he's gorgeous!!!
And looks perfectly content there with your boyfriend. I'd say things are progressing very well. :catlove:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - yes, it's scary from their perspective, new scents and sounds are scary, you standing and walking around is new and scary--think about it - you're huge to his eyes when standing up. Unless of course in this case you want your bathroom back LOL but looking at the photos (including a handsome beu :) ) you have absolutely nothing to worry about regarding that cat taking over your entire house fairly soon.
Maybe just allow it to happen on the cat's schedule, but I guess that's my perspective from working with older felines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mChes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that Haki is adjusting well despite my dog then!
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and aid. I know I have a lot to work on as an owner, especially learning normal cat behavior, but I am so relieved that everything else seems to be going pretty well! So happy to have found this forum and all of the welcoming messages and encouragement :loveeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mChes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been about a week and a half now, and I feel like progress has slowed down, if not slightly reverted. I still hang out with him in the bathroom every day. I'm usually in there 5-6 times a day for 15minutes to an hour depending on the day and time.

I stopped making a point of petting him every time I'm in the bathroom and now it seems that he's not very receptive to being touched at all now. His ears stay up, but the tip of tail twitches and doesn't purr as much (or at all) as he did before. I'm still new to cat body language, but a twitching tail is an unhappy cat, yes? Yet other times he'll lightly grab my finger and give me a little bite while I give him some face scratches. Sometimes he rolls over half way. Where did the little purr machine go?? Should I not be petting him at all? It was nicer when he purred and headbutted me all the time hahaha.

He started playing and isn't very concerned with the human at the end of the stick. He even started pouncing my toes every so often, but will slink a distance away when he realizes how close he is to me.

He's way more open to coming out when I feed him. I can sit a foot away and he'll go about happily munching. He'll even cautiously approach his water bowl even though I'm literally next to it.

But he's still kind of hiding when I'm in the bathroom with him. Not so much by the toilet anymore, but under the little space between the floor and cabinets. I catch him looking at me every so often, but then he closes his eyes and essentially sleeps hahaha. Sometimes it looks like he's upset with me being in the room with him! Like "ugh, human get out so I can play and walk around or whatever." He doesn't slink away when I'm laying down or sitting next to him. He still finds somewhere to hide when I'm standing (small cat, big human mom, I get it lol)

Is this stage normal? I know it hasn't been a long time at all in cat terms, but he just seems a little more cold and distant when he's not eating or playing now hahaha.