New Cat - Over a month and anxious, hiding

apollocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone - I have been lurking here for sometime. There is so much information here that I have yet feel complelled to post because almost every answer I have needed, I have found. Such a good community here.

I'd like to ask for help on a concern of mine. This is going to be somewhat long as I want to provide as many details as possible. Sorry in advance.

About 1.5 months ago, I adopted a 7 year old Himalayan cat from a family. The family was ridding of her because they had 6 dogs and Sydney (her name) was completely terrifed and stressed all the time. The owner told me she spent almost all of her days under the bed hiding and would only come out at night, when the dogs were put outside. She learned that routine. Sydney also lived with a cat who she got along with, but never got exceptionally social as she hid all the time and the other cat was very tolerant of the dogs.

When I met Sydney, she wasn't very shy. She was tolerant of me holding her and looking at her nails, teeth, etc. I wanted to see how she did with being handled as her long coats requires daily brushing and clipping her nails is a must. She did very well and purred up a storm. She showed curosity in me and I let her do her thing. I agreed to take her. The ride home was rougly one hour to which Sydney was completely tramuatized. I felt horrible. She elinimated all over herself, panted the entire way home, meowed and cried. She had saliva drooling from her mouth and she was a complete mess. I felt so badly and wondered if I had done something terrible. The minute I got home, I had to take her into the bathroom and bathe her as she had urine all over her. This made her freak out a little more. Finally, after she was clean - I put her into our spare bedroom I had prepared for her. He own water bowl, food bowl, litter box, cat toys/scratchers galore, etc. I figured she would bolt and hide, but instead she seemed to completely forget her trauma and scoped it out and purred as he realized that she was okay.

Long story short, that was over 1.5 months ago. She lived in that room by herself for about 2 weeks. Post vet visit, on week three, as I have another cat (Apollo), I started to trade blankets and trade scents. They weren't allowed to see each other but knew that the other one existed. I shared grooming tools as well. Apollo would hang out up by the closed door from time to time and meow or just sit there staring, waiting for it to magically open. I think she knew it too because when he would be outside sitting there, she would go to the door and smell. There wouldn't be any signs of aggression.

Well after a few nights of that, I started to let them see one another. I let Sydney walk around the house and locked Apollo in her room so they could scope it out. Syndey was fine upstairs but REFUSED to come downstairs. She wasn't having it and would only venture into the top floor which is where her room is. Apollo, on the other hand, couldn't care less about Sydney. He sniffed around and just laid down and took a nap.

Finally, I allowed them to start both having free reign. Sydney walks around upstairs when she gets confident enough to do so. She watches doors like a hawk and is startled really easily. She is what I describe as being really neurotic. She is very careful and I think she is waiting for a dog to walk upstairs or something. When she sees Apollo, she starts hissing and growling. I think she has spit at him as well. He responds by ignoring her. He doesn't growl, hiss, spit or anything. He just looks at her, and looks away. He will take a nap, eat some food, whatever. He doesn't get closer to her, but he doesn't run from he either. When she sees Apollo she will hide or will be hesitant about coming into a room with him. She looks like she is scared. They haven't fought or anything. Sydney just gets vocal and eventually runs into hiding when she sees him. Apollo spends a good deal of time downstairs. She will not come downstairs at all. I have tried bringing her down, but she generally just runs back up and I think by doing that I will make it worse so I stopped.

I'm really fearful she is going to end up spending all her time upstairs and hiding under her bed for the most part. She spends a good deal of time under there and it's been over a month. She also is fairly aggressive towards Apollo who does nothing to really cause her to be mean. I don't interfere with it, I let them work it out, but no attacks or fights have happened for me to do so.

What should I do - should I encourage her to come downstairs? Is she unhappy in my home - does she need more time? I'm just very fearful she will not acclimate and I want her to be happy. She lived with another cat and did well with him (per the previous owner) so I am wondering why she's wigging out at Apollo. Is there anything else I can do to help calm her down? My patience is there for her, but I'm just worried she's unhappy or her anxiety won't go away.

secret squirrel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a similar situation with a cat we fostered for a family member. When she came she hid in every conceivable crook and cranny you could think of. We just made sure there was a litter tray and food and water where we knew she could find it and eventually she settled and integrated into the rest of the family.
I have to say, it took about 3 and a half months before she was totally settled. It takes time and patience. The steps you have taken up to now are correct, but give it time. Obviously dont let her outside until she is well settled. She wont mind being a house cat.
The other things you describe ARE stress related IMO. I would say, its early days yet for the little love. She will eventually find her own level and one evening, she will surprise you as she saunters into the room, without a care.
How nice that you have been able to give her a forever home.
Hang in there, and you will be fine.xxx

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While this might be perfectly normal to some people, I do have some suggestions from first hand experience that I would like to share with you.

Almost a year ago I acquired a four month old cat from the vet that I work for. She was very tame but scared. Scared to the point she shook. But NEVER acted aggressive. So my boss asked if I would consider fostering her. I of course said yes.

Well she spent two weeks in a dog crate with her food, water and litter box in a spare room. I would hand feed her and pet her at least four times a day. Well on week three she finally wanted to come out of the crate and be petted. But it took her another two weeks till she would walk around the room that the dog crate was in. But for those first two weeks any noise and I do mean any she would run into the crate.

Well after she got used to the small extra bedroom I moved her and the dog crate into my larger bedroom. Well I did the above procedure again. But it took only two weeks to get used to my bedroom.

But she was still scared of the other members of the household (human and cat). She was a very sweet and loving to me, but no one else. This went on for a few months.

Well then I had obligations a few states away. So I figured I needed to take her with me. Since no one else could touch her other then me. So I was scared I would come home to a feral cat in my home.

Well I stayed in three different places with this cat over a two month period. So she was forced to see new people and places and such. She acted timid but still ate and drank and followed me around shortly after arriving at each place. She even explored these people houses. Which she would never do in my home.

Upon arrival at home. I had a cat within a week that would walk around my home . She now will even stay in the room with strangers. Plus she will even take treats and pets from the other people in my household.

She still loves me the most. She still trusts me the most, but in general she is much less shy and like most other cats I have met/worked with.

So my two suggestions are simply this: Either confine that cat to a crate down stairs and pet her and feed her there. So she will slowly "associate" you as the "same" person upstairs and down stairs. Or you could try and bring him into a completely new place (if possible) for a few weeks. This might help to have no choice but to "come out" of his shell.

Lastly I do not mean you have to take your cat on a vacation
. But I do think sometimes even just shutting a cat in a different room can force them to come out of there "shell".

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps some . If you need any clarification let me know.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a similar situation with Cindy. We adopted her from a shelter and she was scared. We adopted Swanie at the same time, and when we finally let them get together, Swanie wanted to be friendly and she was having no part of it. She spent a lot of time under the bed, wouldn't come downstairs. If I brought her down, she would be okay for a minute or two, then back upstairs. DH and I spent time laying on the floor next to the bed she was under, talking to her, or just hanging out there. We also got some feliway plug ins and put them around the bedroom and in the hallway. I can't tell you how long that went out, but I'd say it was definitely longer than a month. Now, she's queen bee of the house and her and Swanie get along beautifully. She will still head for under the bed if she thinks we are going to take her to the vet, and she'll hide from me if we have taken her to the vet (DH is home all day, and she'll come after I leave, and at night once she figures she's "safe."

You might want to try the Feliway, I think it did help, and also give her time to get adjusted and realize that dogs aren't going to come running around.