New cat not eating, drinking or...

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is about my brother's new cat, not mine.

He got this cat on Saturday and he can't get her to eat or drink. She hasn't been using the potty either. He is keeping her in the spare room, but if he lets her out she hides and won't come back out.

I told him to try feeding her some canned food.

Any other advice I can give him?

nocturnal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has he taken the cat to the vet already? If not he should get to it asap.

abylover1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 I found it normal for the animal to not eat or use the litter for the first day and a half of coming home (especially if there are other cats in the mix). The cat probably ate on saturday so write that day off, and if he hasnt eaten anything by tomorrow, I would be a little more concerned. Is the food also the same as the one it was eating, if it is dry food, has your brother tried wet food? What is the temperament of the cat? From what I read, he seems like he is nervous and scared, that could be curbing his appetite.

Hope everything is okay with the little munchkin!

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the cat?  Is there a possibility that it wasn't fully weaned from it's mother before going to a new home?  If it's an older cat sometimes stress of a new home can make them not eat, can he find out what it was eating before he got the cat?  What different types of foods has he offered the cat?  A vet visit may be in order to make sure the cat is healthy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if he is feeding her the same food that she is used to. He hasn't tried wet food yet, but I suggested that for him. He has tried feeding her cut up chicken though.
He said that all her previous owner told him is that she likes to hide. So I assume that means she is shy.

He doesn't have other cats, but I imagine the smell of my two girls is still around. I used to share that apartment with him several months ago. He does have a small dog though.

I'm pretty sure he hasn't taken her to the vet.

abylover1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sometimes the presence of another animal is just enough to put a lot of stress on the cat, has he been following a guide on how to integrate animals?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awaiting abyss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to give an update. I went by my brother's apartment last night and saw the cat. She is doing well now. She is eating, but she won't eat in front of people. She stays hidden a lot, but will come out now. Her favorite place to sit is on the stair rail. She sat on my husband's lap for a long time last night.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
definitely try and take her to the vet. I had the same problem with Jet when she was a new kitty. She wasn't eating at all first, then she was eating but very little. She was hiding all the time, and sleeping a lot. We just thought she was shy. but it was like that for over a week. I took Jet to see a vet and found out she was sick and needed to be on Antibiotics. Also the vet gave me food for her that would make her gain weight, and it also increased her appetite. Cats do hide, but if your brother's kitty is hiding A LOT that's not good either. At some point she has to come out and be comfortable with her surroundings. Jet used to hide a lot too. Always slept under my bed. rarely came out. After her round of meds and proper food, its like she's a different cat. No longer shy, no longer hiding, and eats willingly on her own (and cries for extra servings now lol). Think about how you feel when you're sick. You want to hide, and not see anyone, and just rest and be in bed and you have a hard time eating. If you feel like she's exhibiting these symptoms please take her to the Vet. My cat was the exact same way. 

btw just curious, i don't know if this was mentioned but how old is she?