New cat not drinking or pee'ing

longroad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a new cat over 24 hours ago. She is an adoptee from a shelter. Always a very shy cat, but even more so since arriving at my place.
She does nothing but sit in her bed all day.

She has come out once or twice to eat a little bit.
She has not had a drink since she has been here, over 24 hours now. Also has not used to the litter tray or pee'd anywhere else.

She is scared of all people and pretty much everything, always has been but these new surroundings are making her worse.

I'm most concerned about the lack of water and lack of excretions. Surely she must be thirsty and dying to go to the loo?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to be in one room with litter, water and food and opposite side where she can be alone and have a safety zone. Talking to her but not trying to pet her or pick her up is also encouraging for her, this will help her to gain trust.

I had the same experience with a cat I adopted from a friend who hid under the covers for 36 hours straight and only peeked out a bit for some tuna......

robertb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're also going to need to give her some time, too. They can get awful freaked out in new environments. We had a brave boy who adapted to any new environment by walking proudly in like he owned everything, and a scaredy-cat girl who would take sometimes even a week before she'd come out of the closet / underbed after a move to a new place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

longroad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies

Things have improved. She used the litter tray overnight, haven't seen her drink but i assume she has. Is also eating well.
She also came out of her house when I was in the room as well, first time!

Looks like she is going to be fine

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Talking to her but not trying to pet her or pick her up is also encouraging for her, this will help her to gain trust.
Really? Hmm. I think she should see how the cat reacts to being petted before anything else. Trina was one of the most timid cats I've ever encountered, but after being wary of our attentions for the first few minutes, she eventually relaxed and let us pet her and LOVED it. I had to give her lots and lots and LOTS of cuddles and petting before she finally trusted me, and I don't feel she would have to the extent she does if I hadn't demanded she realize that I adored her.

If the cat reacts well to it, pet her. If not, just talk to her, since I'm sure she's still probably timid. That's my advice, at least!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

longroad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She loves to be petted, she has the loudest purr I've ever heard in a cat.
Doesn't liked being picked up at all.

At least we are making some slow progress here

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
See? There you go. Keep showing her that you love her.

I played hide and seek for the first week with Trin before she finally stopped hiding from my footsteps. Every time I'd leave the room, she'd hide somewhere, and I'd come back in a few minutes later, find her, and pet her until she eventually started greeting me at the door for her lovin's. Keep it up, sounds like she'll come around!