New cat - name thread

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Alfie is a good name and shouldn't be confused too easily with Ally. She'll most probably get used to having him around and accept him. Right now she's grieving.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the name Socks for a cat, and I know the Beverly Cleary story. A young couple rescues a kitten from someone giving them away at a grocery store and they name him Socks. They then have a baby, and Socks enjoys left over formula until the couple's friends twit them that Socks is getting fat, at which point they cut him off. He is feeling neglected and deprived. Then they go out and hire a grandmotherly type babysitter. The babysitter puts the baby to bed and makes a fuss over Socks instead and he is happy.

I was calling Jennie Socks when I first met her, because all I saw was her white hind socks disappearing over the railing of the porch. When she finally trusted me enough to not run too far, and turned and our eyes met, she told me her true name is Jennie.

I still think Ally and Alfie are just too close in sound, but if Alfie is his true name, I guess there isn't much else you can do about it. It doesn't seem quite fair to Ally, to give the interloper a name that sounds like hers, is all. :)