New Cat Mommy

Littlemamaorphankitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
303CF23B-FD7C-4E98-B3E8-F7959608F5E4.jpeg I ended up rescuing this little one about 3 weeks ago. Not sure how to figure out the sex so named it Tabby. Tabby’s little ears were still closed and couldn’t see well. The whole litter and mother were killed due to work being done on property. I bottle fed but never thought it’d make it. Fast forward to today, my Tabby is now using a litter box and eating wet foods. Very playful, but will bite. I don’t know anything about cats yet alone kittens. Can use any advice to make sure Tabby grows up happy and healthy

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they're this young it can be very difficult (okay, I mean "impossible") to tell what sex they are. When s/he is older it will become more obvious. By the time the kitten is old enough for spaying or neutering the vet should have no trouble telling.

It would probably be wise to continue some bottle feeding, not exclusively, but some. Tabby looks a bit too young to be completely weened. Keep her/him on wet foods - they're better for cats than kibble is - and for the time being that means wet kitten food rather than cat food. Kitten food has more calories, to support the fast growth that kittens experience.

You may find these articles to be helpful:
Welcome to The Cat Site! :welcomesign: :hellosmiley: :hithere: You've found the best (and largest) community of cat lovers on the internet, and we're very glad to have you here! We hope that you and Tabby will be members for many years to come.

And finally, we'd love to see some more pictures of Tabby; we're all nuts for cat pictures here, and especially kitten pictures! Speaking of which, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , kitten tail alert!

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep up with the bottle feedings for now. Little Tabby will get a lot from that emotionally, as s/he would normally be doing a bit of nursing along with learning the ins and outs of eating "real" food. Not full feeding, mostly just "comfort nursing," just as mama cat would be allowing at this stage.

You're going to have to do some disciplining along the way, since Tabby doesn't have a mama or siblings to teach the Fine Art of Catting. I've found that a short, sharp HISS works wonders, even with very young kittens. It is Universal Cattish for "STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!" and they seem to be born knowing that.

The Kitten Lady's series of videos on Youtube can be an invaluable resource for you. She has videos on all phases of rearing orphaned kittens, and they are GOOD!

IF you can get a really good close-up of Tabby's fanny, we'll be happy to help you figure out if you have a little girl or a little boy on your hands. We do that a LOT! Picture several dozen otherwise rational adults huddled over computer screens, gazing raptly at a kitten's back end, and muttering, "Hmmmm...I think...but then again...or just maybe..." AND ENJOYING IT!

BLESS YOU for taking on this little scrap of cathood!

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IF you can get a really good close-up of Tabby's fanny, we'll be happy to help you figure out if you have a little girl or a little boy on your hands. We do that a LOT! Picture several dozen otherwise rational adults huddled over computer screens, gazing raptly at a kitten's back end, and muttering, "Hmmmm...I think...but then again...or just maybe..." AND ENJOYING IT!
:crackup::biggrin: Littlemamaorphankitty Littlemamaorphankitty Yep, you're definitely at the right spot!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BLESS YOU for taking on this little scrap of cathood!
:yeah:

Another useful bit of cat language: a mother cat will say "No!" to a kitten with a gentle tap on the nose, to warn the kitten away from something dangerous. This isn't punishment - if it's hard enough to hurt you're doing it wrong - it's just a good way to say "No" and be understood.

Margret

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you so much for rescueing this little baby! :hugs: He or she is adorable :loveeyes:

Here is a website that should help you determine it's sex: https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/outreach...res/cats/determining-gender-(sex)-of-a-kitten

Here are some articles that may help you out:

First-time Cat Owner's Guide Not sure if this is applicable or not...just guessing here

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

Cat Health Care Abc

First Aid For Cats

The 4 Most Common Worms That Can Make Your Cat Sick

Cat Vaccinations: A Quick & Useful Guide

Are Otc Medications Safe For Your Cat?

We've got a ton of articles that we can provide, but I don't want you to be spending all your time reading. It might be best for you to ask questions, then we can try to answer them specifically. Just be aware that kittens can fade quickly, especially this young, so if you notice anything wrong, get him/her to the Vet quickly for intervention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Littlemamaorphankitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When they're this young it can be very difficult (okay, I mean "impossible") to tell what sex they are. When s/he is older it will become more obvious. By the time the kitten is old enough for spaying or neutering the vet should have no trouble telling.

It would probably be wise to continue some bottle feeding, not exclusively, but some. Tabby looks a bit too young to be completely weened. Keep her/him on wet foods - they're better for cats than kibble is - and for the time being that means wet kitten food rather than cat food. Kitten food has more calories, to support the fast growth that kittens experience.

You may find these articles to be helpful:
Welcome to The Cat Site! :welcomesign: :hellosmiley: :hithere: You've found the best (and largest) community of cat lovers on the internet, and we're very glad to have you here! We hope that you and Tabby will be members for many years to come.

And finally, we'd love to see some more pictures of Tabby; we're all nuts for cat pictures here, and especially kitten pictures! Speaking of which, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , kitten tail alert!

Margret
Thank you so much for the tips. I always worry I’ll do something wrong. Never was a cat person till this one stole my heart, so want everything good for Tabby

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

Littlemamaorphankitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for rescueing this little baby! :hugs: He or she is adorable :loveeyes:

Here is a website that should help you determine it's sex: https://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/outreach...res/cats/determining-gender-(sex)-of-a-kitten

Here are some articles that may help you out:

First-time Cat Owner's Guide Not sure if this is applicable or not...just guessing here

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

Cat Health Care Abc

First Aid For Cats

The 4 Most Common Worms That Can Make Your Cat Sick

Cat Vaccinations: A Quick & Useful Guide

Are Otc Medications Safe For Your Cat?

We've got a ton of articles that we can provide, but I don't want you to be spending all your time reading. It might be best for you to ask questions, then we can try to answer them specifically. Just be aware that kittens can fade quickly, especially this young, so if you notice anything wrong, get him/her to the Vet quickly for intervention.
Thank you. Everything is helpful at this point.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 251774 Hope this one is better
Hmm. Due to how close together the 2 "holes" are, I would guess female. But, I am by no means an expert and kitty's fur is covering things up so I can't see clearly.

I bet you can tell the gender yourself if you watch this video, it has some very good tips:

There are also some pictures that may help on this page: Sex

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Due to the proximity of the "whatever" to the anus, and the fact that (unless a shadow is distorting what I'm seeing) there is more of a verticle slit than a dot, I'm thinking girl, too!

Excellent video, btw!

Littlemamaorphankitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Due to the proximity of the "whatever" to the anus, and the fact that (unless a shadow is distorting what I'm seeing) there is more of a verticle slit than a dot, I'm thinking girl, too!

Excellent video, btw!
I believe it to be a female after watching the video myself. Now, I’m no expert but she never shot peepee in a stream when stimulating. Just kinda went everywhere. I’m very happy with either gender but since her name is Tabby short for Tabatha, this is a great finding. Thank you for all the help!!