New Cat Meowing/growling

CatsHope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all, I am here in search of assistance. Me and my partner have very recently adopted a neutered, 8 year old male cat from a couple. They have stated he is very well behaved and loves cuddles, pets, and being close to you. We have just brought him home yesterday, and now it is 3 am that I am typing this.

Since bringing him home we have made our bedroom his safe spot for the next few weeks till he feels comfortable. We do not have other cats but have had so throughout our lives, and we do have a medium sized dog, which our new cats previous owners have stated does get along with dogs. But of course we are keeping him out of the room and away from our new addition till the the right time.
He has all his things, such as scratching posts litter box bowls toys and bed. He does not like car rides and we also understand that being in a whole new place is scary and of course, new for him, overall extremely stressful.

However just moving his carrier down and trying to open it was a bit alarming. He was hissing and even swatted when my husband tried unzipping it open the first time. We managed to open it and eventually fell asleep. I had woken up to hear him meow once, loud and a little longer than a regular meow. He was not in his carrier but under the bed. After some time I opened my eyes again to see he was near the bed but out in the open sniffing his belongings, checking out the room, and even rubbing his chin on his own carrier. Upon shifting position in bed, he slowly but hurriedly went back under the bed.

By the third time he came back out was more of a surprise. I had taken to sitting up in bed as I wanted to try to make him more comfortable by offering his treats his previous owners had also provided. He surprised me as he came out from the bed with a long drawn out meow and borderline growl/caterwauling noise. The kind I've heard male cats do when possibly ready to fight. I looked at him gave slow blinks, and slowly reached into the treat bag, talking softly to him telling him its ok, would you like your treats? I didn't dare reach out with my own hand and simply dropped a treat or two next to him. Several times he still made the growl noise but mostly meowed the long sad/uneasy meows at me. He went back under the bed.

He came out at again after some time with some hissing but meowing mostly. He walked back under the bed. Last two times as I was typing this all, he walked out and didn't hiss or anything but meowed without even looking at me as he walked about. I am not sure if this is normal or considered progress but, the growling wails definitely threw us off. I just would like to know if this is normal considering everything as when we met Mino with his owner he was calm and allowed pets. And also if there's anything more we can do at this time. We do have a slight fear after the wailing growl that he was going to attack us, but the only times for this were when we were opening his carrier and when he came out from the bed to see me sitting up awake in bed. He did not growl or hiss when he was being carried to the house from the car etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsHope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mini-update: I put his favorite treat, the wet Tiki cat Stix, in his food bowl. I also set up his tunnel and a toy of his that moves automatically, and as I was doing so, he came out from under the bed again. I was not near his food bowl but when he walked near, he hissed at his food bowl that had his favorite treat in it? I'm a little confused but my husband made a guess its just due to all the stress of being in a new place plus the stress from the car ride.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! I think all sounds pretty normal for an 8yo cat who is being taken from everything he has ever known. The growling/hissing is a defense mechanism that some cats do. The yowling is also a sign of distress, as one would expect under his circumstances.

Maybe this article will help you to devise a plan for his first few weeks with you, or until you see him start to turn around on his own. He will eventually, but he needs time and your patience. It sure sounds like you have the patience, so all he needs is a lot more time. I also included another article that might be helpful when the time is right for him to meet your dog.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog - TheCatSite

Last edited:

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it’s any consolation Orange was 5 when we adopted him and it took him a week to come out from under the bed in the spare room. With the exception of a few, what must’ve been middle of the night, trips that he made to a nearby litter box. Food and water intake was virtually none during that time.
We would sit on the floor by the bed for short periods of time, just talking softly but not forcing any interaction. He eventually started coming to lay beside us but would bolt as soon as we acknowledged him, shortly after that food would disappear from the bowl and the box would be used regularly so we suspect he was
some night time exploring. And after about 3 weeks he was brave enough to start exploring the rest of the house even when we were up and around.

It takes time, and every cat is going to need to find their own path, but that’s what worked for us.
good luck :)

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s going to take time for him he’s 8 years old . Gotta think if you was a cat or kid and got taken away from your home . Sent to live with someone you do not know . Well how would you react really ? I feel your cat is acting just like any cat would be expected to act to a new home and surrounding and new care takers . Give it some time , when he was at his old home did he have anything that he loved like a blanket or etc . If so get that and place that in his box or area where he sleeps . And maybe try cat nip or a plug thing for cats . And just give him time ? Just make sure leave him a bowl of water and food out with some treats . He will eat when he’s hungry and make sure his litter box is in the same room . Hopefully it’s his old one and not a brand new you just bought. Anyway best of luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsHope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much to everyone for all the advice and links!! It has been super helpful and reassuring as the yowling growl was the only thing throwing me off as it's quite scary lol. The following day after my last post, we had gone out for a little while to the store and upon coming back, he had come out from under the bed to greet us and demanded pets and attention. Even now as I'm typing this he is sitting next to me purring and rubbing his head on my arms and shoulders as much as he can, even my phone.
It feels like a complete 180!! But regardless we are still respectful of his space and going to allow him a long amount of time to still fully adjust to our home and routines and us as well. He still has a dog he has to yet meet but that's obviously way later in the future. We are happy he seems more comfortable and even resting on the bed with us multiple times.

Also for further info, he does have all his previous household belongings!! This includes two litter boxes with the same litter, same cat food brands, treats, scratching posts, feeders/bowls, and toys. We are happy to welcome Mino home. :)