New Cat Meeting

HWTseng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, if you'll all remember me from previous posts with my new cat - WuKong.

So we're having a great time, he enjoys sleeping next to me or on top of my girlfriend's hair.

The other day my girlfriend who lived at her own place met a feral cat, after feeding him once, he decided to follow her around everywhere, the cat is a wee little thing, maybe a month old or 3 at most, her mother we believe is deceased.

A little bit about this little boy's personality, he's not interested in any toys, as soon as he sees you, he just wants to... rub his face against your hand, he will follow your hand around and literally wants to be one with your hand. He is very comfortable with me when he first met me and did the same thing as well.

My girlfriend brought him home to my place, where we planned to keep him for about 2 weeks until he's given away.

I've tried to introduce the two cats and this is what I observe -

First day
Little cat - Very chilled and relaxed, essentially ignores the other cat and explores around or rub his face against us.

WuKong - Gets near him, starts smelling him a little, backs off, this cycle repeats a few times and occasionally he will spit. He will attempt to swat the cat, but either misses (intentionally? or stops right as the little cat looks at him). He'd constantly make noises as though he is very unhappy. After I put the small cat away, he would be resistant to us touching him, or holding him (he never resisted us holding him), this little tantrum lasts for about an hour then it's back to normal.

Whenever they meet, I make sure to give WuKong snacks and play with him.

Second Day
We let them meet in WuKong's room (also our bedroom)

Little Cat- still the same, chilled relax, he went off to start eating and drinking off WuKong's bowl. When WuKong smells his face, he would let off one long meow. This time he hissed at WuKong once when WuKong tried to swat him

WuKong - Same reaction, sniffs, then backs off, doesn't really react to the little cat eating and drinking out of his bowl... We let them in the same room for a while and watched carefully as we did our own thing, the small cat would explore and WuKong would observe and hide around the corners watching him, still occasionally tried to swat him.

Third Day
Little Cat - Still the same... He would groom himself as well, which I take it as a sign of him being relaxed

WuKong - No change, he would sniff his tail and lightly bite it, I think lightly because the little cat didn't really react to it. He won't mind the cat being close to him as I poured snacks into my hand and he would eat out of it, the little cat would come close to get some as well and he doesn't react to that.

So in general it seems like they aren't fighting, and if WuKong is distracted by food or play, he usually ignores the other cat, but once I put the little cat away, he throws a tantrum....

Other than the tantrums WuKong still happily eats and drinks and uses the litter tray so I don't think he's too stressed out

I guess I just want to know if I'm heading the right direction or doing the right thing with these two cats, I'd like them to be good friends although I know to manage my expectation and I know some times cats just can't be friends. WuKong hasn't interacted with any other cats since separating from his siblings and maybe sees other animals when visiting the pets.

Thanks so much for the tips!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HWTseng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also note that they meet for about an hour at most each day, I feel bad leaving the other cat alone, but I know WuKong gets jealous if I spend alone time with the wee little thing and looks at me like "who dat hoe you with earlier?!"

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise