New Cat? Maybe? Need Advice

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Thrasymachus

If you get a new cat get a shelter rescue.

If you want a new car, maybe you want a sports car. If you want a new motorcyle maybe you want a loud Harley.

But cats are living beings. Sure you have some requirement like in your post, the new adoptee would have to accept living with five other cats, but easily you can find such a cat in a shelter. This whole breeding and purebreed predilection treats cats like products bred to produce certain qualities like how an Apple is reputed to be more high-end and reliable than an E-machines. Besides it just contributes to overpopulation. You can find a decent amount of purebreeds at shelters as well, perhaps not a very specfic breed you may pin for. Cats should not be looked at as commodites with this or that trait or you do not want them, they are sentient beings.

What if I said that I started selective breeding of Jamaicans with Kenyans to produce the fastest kids? If it is wrong to selectively breed humans, how can it be right for animals?
Let me add that looking for certain traits is NOT treating cats like commodities! Heck, we look for certain traits in our mates too, do we not?? Yes we do!! Please let's not get drawn in by the trendy animal rights jargon......

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SystemXpert

Just wanted to let everyone know I have in fact decided to adopt an Oriental Shorthair kitten. I think my cats are going to get along well with the new boy when we introduce him into the household.

I found a reputable breeder and will be bringing home the kitten later today. I would like to thank everyone for their support. I know that there are strong opinions about going to a cattery. I decided to adopt a Non-show quality kitten because they need homes too. My other five cats were all shelter rescues so I feel I have more than made my contribution to saving unwanted animals.
Fantastic and CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming new addition!!!! Can't wait for pictures!!!!!!! You could still show your kitty if you wanted to in HHP!

thrasymachus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allmycats

...Actually, we selectively breed ourselves!
... RESPONSIBLE BREEDER ...
"Responsible breeder" is a useless jargon to hide the sad reality. I could be a hypothetical "responsible breeder" in my area. Under this doctrine I could have bred some 50 kittens and found for them "responsible homes" since I am such a "responsible breeder". Also I would have charged far more than local shelters since I am so "responsible". This simplistic and convenient doctrine asserts that I and everyone involved involved are "responsible" so long as we assume we are independent of causes, conditions and developments around us. So long as we ignore the chronic surplus of cats in our local area, in our state, in our country, in the world that will only end up dying in some shelter, lost in the woods, in some back-alley. Cats as a natural mechanism have farily large litters of 4-6 kittens, to ensure that some would survive in the wild. Now that they are domesticated and free of the burden of living in nature as our "beloved pets", boy how we have failed them! Humans would be scandalized if they treated other humans as badly as they do their "loved pets" or at least the several millions that are gassed every year in the USA because they cannot find a human family.

Humans are not selectively breed, you are absolutely blinded if you can even make this comparison. Breeders perpetrate an existing breed, through selective mating or more rarely try to create a new market for a new breed to satsify some human whims they wish to cater to. People choose their own mates for the most part or in some cultures their family chooses for them one. A "responsible breeder" would never produce muts, because they would never allow their bitches to have available to them during a heat any non-purebreed.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Thrasymachus

"Responsible breeder" is a useless jargon to hide the sad reality. I could be a hypothetical "responsible breeder" in my area. Under this doctrine I could have bred some 50 kittens and found for them "responsible homes" since I am such a "responsible breeder". Also I would have charged far more than local shelters since I am so "responsible". This simplistic and convenient doctrine asserts that I and everyone involved involved are "responsible" so long as we assume we are independent of causes, conditions and developments around us. So long as we ignore the chronic surplus of cats in our local area, in our state, in our country, in the world that will only end up dying in some shelter, lost in the woods, in some back-alley. Cats as a natural mechanism have farily large litters of 4-6 kittens, to ensure that some would survive in the wild. Now that they are domesticated and free of the burden of living in nature as our "beloved pets", boy how we have failed them! Humans would be scandalized if they treated other humans as badly as they do their "loved pets" or at least the several millions that are gassed every year in the USA because they cannot find a human family.

Humans are not selectively breed, you are absolutely blinded if you can even make this comparison. Breeders perpetrate an existing breed, through selective mating or more rarely try to create a new market for a new breed to satsify some human whims they wish to cater to. People choose their own mates for the most part or in some cultures their family chooses for them one. A "responsible breeder" would never produce muts, because they would never allow their bitches to have available to them during a heat any non-purebreed.
No..it is not useless jargon. Breeders (dog and cat) have all been thrown in a pile together by AR-speak and therefore some had to distinguish themselves with the word responsible in order to set apart from the commercial and ignorant B-Y breeders. There are cat breeds that have been around for a very long time; Turkish Angora, Siamese, Maine Coon (in its natural form), etc..etc... someone has to further these breeds and others! I won't deny anyone's right to own one of these purebred cats (and the same goes for dogs) if they want to. Do you want them no longer to exist, or what? You know, there are some cat breeds that I personally do not agree with..some very recent "new" breeds that go against my own grain (and I won't say which); I just won't buy one of them. I can't stop and shouldn't stop another person from doing so.

SURE we selectively breed ourselves, are you kidding?? We all have a certain type and we look at things like education, like-background, hair color...of course we do!! Some people are a lot less selective than others, that I"ll give you

I'm not debating as to whether a person is capable of LYING or not...sure people can call themselves RB's and NOT be...doesn't mean the notion doesn't exist!

I want people to realize, who do not already, that AR activism has as it's goal to ELIMINATE the DOMESTIC CAT and end pet ownership. If you do not believe that I can supply you many links and direct quotes from some of the "esteemed leaders" of the AR movement. Just look at the mass legislative activity going on in multiple states DAILY that are trying to make it IMPOSSIBLE to breed and even OWN ANIMALS!! Wake up and smell the coffee.