New cat making strange noises

danipoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 10 month old cat died from kidney disease a month ago. A week after i found a cat on the streets that was a little bit smaller than mine who died recently, it was in a bad condition, had bald patches, skin was hard and thickened around ears and eyes. I took him to the vet and he got treated and instead of giving it to a shelter i decided to heal him completely and keep him. His fur improved greatly and his eyes too, still a little bit of discharge but improved over the 3 weeks that he was with me. He got used to the new house, now plays with me, sleeps with me, has zoomies and a BIIIG appetite. The vet says he has an overbite and could struggle to pick up kibble sometimes, which he does but still eats a lot. The problem is that he keeps making weird noises, especially when i lightly press his throat and when he plays and bites something also when grooming. He also often puts his tongue out, not sure if its related to this or not. Vet said to give it a few more weeks and see if it resolves on its own. This is a video where i lightly press on his throat and when hes biting my hand, listen to the noise. What could this be? Vet mentioned some kind of stenosis, not sure. Hes acting completely normal otherwise, even meows and chirps when he sees me.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. He is adorable. If he is only doing this when playing, I wouldn’t be to concerned at this point. He may have some scar tissue or narrowing of the nasal passages that cause this when he is excited and chewing on things. I wouldn’t worry about it if he was my cat. Provided it is only when playing.

You don’t use any hand lotion or anything scented on your hands do you?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry about your 10mo cat - my condolences. But, good on you for taking such good care of this little guy!

I think that noise might be expected to happen when pressure, even slight, is applied to a cat's throat. Anytime he makes that noise shortly after you stop applying pressure might just be a lingering effect from having done so. It could also be a form of growling (guttural, as in from his throat), some cats growl when they play.

The tongue sticking out might just have something to do with his overbite. I don't know if it will help in any way, but you may want to get him used to some canned food too - just to see how he handles it compared to kibble. It could pay dividends down the road when he is older and might have more trouble with the kibble. It is good for hydration too!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat sometimes has her tongue out. So it's probably something not all cats do. Don't let her play with your hands. My cat used to do that but I would say no at a level tone. She learned fast. I have no sound from the video. One of my cats has trouble eating kibble so she only eats pate on a flat plate otherwise she will drop food on the floor

Last edited: