new cat is puking

efterpi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone I rescued a cat just yesterday from s.t.a.a.r. and I have her home. The prpblem is that she is sleeping in the most unsual places and she hides from us. Yesterday she didn't eat anything and just a littke while ago she she ate some of her food and then puked. Like 2 minutes later.she did it twice under the bed and once in the litter box. I could she the undigested food (whole kible) in a yellowish liquid. Do you think she is sick? She is healthy and she never had a health.issue apart from a sore behind her ear from scratching. Is it just the transition that she has to go through until she gets used to the new envrinoment.?

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is stressing from her change in environment.  She doesn't know you or trust you yet.  I would take up all the food, and have a bag of kitty treats handy.  Keep her water dish where she knows where it is.  Whenever she comes out of her hiding places, reward her with a kitty treat, and only give her one or two at a time to see how well she tolerates it.  Don't approach her in her hiding places--in other words, don't make her feel cornered.  It will take a while of you patiently working with her, to get her to trust you. 

Then you can gradually introduce soft food, a teaspoon or two at a time.  Some cats will gobble their food so quickly that they do indeed throw it back up.  I had a cat that would do that no matter how long he had been with us and loved us.  I could literally only feed him a tablespoon of wet food at a time.  He did a little better with dry food.

Good wishes to you and your new kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

efterpi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying I will definetely try thetricks you mentioned. Hope that he will relax a little

koolkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Gandalf pukes when he is nervous. He puked on the way to the vet because he's an indoor cat. If you don't mind being near a puking cat, try to make her feel more comfortable and give her lots of love.

She is just nervous, it will stop soon enough.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what might help with nervous cats is the Feliway diffuser (I put one in Grisou's
safe room when I first got him. No idea if he would have been more stressed without it, though).

There are also several calming collars out there that are supposed to have pheromones directly under the cat's nose... my Rascal is wearing one, and I like to think he is less aggressive with it.

Then I found some "calming treats" that Rascal of course refuses to eat, but might be worth a try

koolkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@roguethecat  I got that for Gandalf too. He was better and stopped puking, he got more comfortable, but that might not be because of the diffuser.

Good luck with your new cat, send me pictures once she gets better if you can 
!

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never knew there were 'calming products' on the market before joining this site.  I have always used the 'patience+kitty treat' method.  One of these might have helped with Blackie when we had to move him suddenly because of a meddlesome neighbor.   But that about 30 years ago and I doubt there were such things then.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

efterpi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I tried the method with the treats and it qorked he is sitting with us and he also sleeps with us too. I will definetely try the diffuser just to be sure because still when we move fast or do something abruptly he just vanishes and.he is alwaus looking around for a route of escape. Now I have a problem.with hair loss. I posted it on the grpoming section. My husband pulled his hair and now he has a small bald spot on his shoulderblade. He seems to be losing a lot of hair on his back and I worry. They rold.me from the shelter that he doesn't have any skin conditions. I don't kniw if its stress or something more...

koolkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@efterpi  sorry to hear that your new cat is having more problems. I got my cats only about 4 weeks ago and Gandalf still runs away when I go fast. I think some cats are naturally shier than others, just like humans. Boogie is 100% comfortable.

With the hair loss, you would probably get more help on the Grooming section which you seem to have already done, and I don't know much about the topic, so good luck.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can take several months for a kitty to fully settle in and become comfortable with their new home.  Most need patience and time. 
  Hopefully the folks over on the grooming board have already started answering your questions there.

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't have tried the felliway if not for this board. Worked wonders for us. Amazon is the best price.