New Cat Is Hiding

Starmaid2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday I brought home a new, 8 year old male cat to my household, and realize I do need to give it a lot more time, but I am quite concerned. I have not seen him since I opened the pet carrier in my Spare Bedroom. Only contact between us has been when I first saw him at previous owners home and let him smell my hand before he slunk away to a bedroom, and my driving 50 minutes with him in a carrier sitting beside me. At first I was concerned because he didn't eat anything. His previous owner said he was a chow hound. This morning I checked on him and he had eaten his canned food, some treats I left for him, used his litter box, but was still hiding. As much as I called him, talked to him he continued hiding either under the bed or dresser. Guess I am looking for suggestions on how to get him out of hiding and comfortable with me. I do have a senior female cat, I've had for 16 years, but I know how to introduce them to each other, and although she is curious, this is her 3rd male fur buddy... it's introducing him to me I am concerned about...

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His world has basically been turned upside down and cats in general don't like change. It will take him a few days or a couple of weeks to come around.

He is eating and pooping, so you're doing good with that.

Just go into his room and sit on the floor or the bed and talk to yourself for a while a couple of times a day. Make sure you feed him and leave treats each time you do so he starts associating you with food. I would leave piles of treats in different places so my guy would have to look around for them, and not just on the floor - all over - make him hunt and explore.

And the super-hard part: when he first comes out, kind of ignore him for a minute or two before you reach out for a sniff or a pet.

A little time and patience and he should come around.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: i agree, give him time. sounds like he is doing great for this quick if he has come out to eat and use the box. take it slow with him and i expect quite soon he will be over the need to hide. Post photos sometime :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Starmaid2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His world has basically been turned upside down and cats in general don't like change. It will take him a few days or a couple of weeks to come around.

Just go into his room and sit on the floor or the bed and talk to yourself for a while a couple of times a day. Make sure you feed him and leave treats each time you do so he starts associating you with food. I would leave piles of treats in different places so my guy would have to look around for them, and not just on the floor - all over - make him hunt and explore.

And the super-hard part: when he first comes out, kind of ignore him for a minute or two before you reach out for a sniff or a pet.

D

Thank you for your great suggestions. I have gone into the room, 4 times so far, but only gave him treats once which he ate. I've tried calling him, by his name, talking to him, and this afternoon going to read a book out loud. I will try your suggestions, and I have lots of patience and time on my hands. Thank You again...

Starmaid2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah: i agree, give him time. sounds like he is doing great for this quick if he has come out to eat and use the box. take it slow with him and i expect quite soon he will be over the need to hide. Post photos sometime :)
Thank you, I know this takes time, just I've never had a cat hide from me, the other two I introduced into the house didn't have a problem with me.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are all different. I have one little white girl that if we ever have company, or its storming, anything that stresses her a bit she hides. I know its not that she is scared of us now, she just needs to be alone and unwind when she is stressed, so she hides. I would bet he will not hide long. keep us updated, and when he gets brave post us a photo :)

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for rehoming an older cat. I would just continue reading to him several times a day. When he does come out of hiding, don't reach for him or try to pet him. just ignore him. Let him make the moves. It probably won't take more than a few days. Be patient & good luck!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its great that you have a lot of time to spend with him - just make sure to give him some alone time.

We have two cats who have opposite personalities. Duncan was our first and was domesticated early. He is the mayor of the house. He greets everyone, lets anyone hold him and is generally everyone's friend. We had 20 people over once and he made laps around the room. Barry was a feral kitten and has a clipped ear from a TNR program. He hides when guests come and won't come out for an hour or two after they have left. My wife has just started to be able to pet him after 15 months. With me, half the time he is skittish, the other times he is a cuddle bug (but not a lap cat).

Cats are pretty resilient - your guy will come around. Just take it slow - his pace not the pace "the internet" says. I know you want to grab him and love the stuffing out of him, and you will, but resist the urge for now.

Starmaid2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a photo the previous owner had posted in the ad rehoming him.

Original name is "Boo", but I am expanding it to "BooKitty" after a good friends kitty, who has passed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on your adoption of BooKitty. :bigeyes:

The fact that he's eating and using the litter box is good. And it's not unusual for cats to hide when adopted into new homes.

Here's a recent TCS thread with many different answers to the question What Was Your Cat's Behavior Like In The First Day?

Here's a few articles on the topic too:
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?

And just in case you want a refresher on cat introductions:
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Please keep us updated on his progress.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
pretty black boy! blue eyes? I have a solid black girl, with gold eyes :)

Starmaid2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions. I had a hard time remembering which website where I had posted about BooKitty's hiding. To update everyone... He has been here for more than 16 days. Two days ago, I had to gently coax him out of the closet. I had not seen him at all for more than 14 days. Got him out, talking to him all the way, held him, then let him down to the floor, petted him until he started purring. Then he slunk under the bed to hide again. I let it rest for two days then tried it again today. He ate a couple treats out of my hand, but wasn't interested in being out of his closet, and made a beeline for under the bed again. I haven't been able to show him the rest of the house, let alone meet my other cat, Misty. He acts very scared, which I imagine he still is, and can see this is going to be a very long transition for both him and me. Oh his eyes are not blue, they are a pale yellow/green.

Starmaid2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is all totally normal. The only thing he needs is more time and your patience. :)
Love seeing all your kitties. The one on my profile is my other cat, 16 years old, Misty. Thank You for your post... I know this one is going to take a very long acclimation and introduction. I have never had a cat take this long to acclimate to me or my house, let alone meeting Misty.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Starmaid2 Starmaid2 Glad you found us again. Sorry BooKitty is still mostly hiding. My adopted cat, Ruby, acted like she'd always lived here, 2 seconds after I brought her home. So I don't have any experience at all with shy, timid, hiding cats.

TCS does have a few more articles which might have some tips for you. Good luck. Hope he ventures out to explore your home soon. :catlove:

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

Starmaid2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You Rubysmama. These articles are very helpful in how to handle a shy, very timid cat. In all my years of cat experience, I have never had to deal with a cat this terrified. I am very determined to make him feel comfortable, and come out of hiding. His previous owner said he used to be very cuddly and open until one of her dogs began chasing him. He had to endure over a year of this dog's aggression, but I'd sure like to see him come out of hiding on his own. I am thinking of using Feliaway (sp?) or some other calming method to help him. He is a gorgeous cat, but really very terrified.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww...poor BooKitty. He's probably scared to venture too far in case he comes across another dog. :sigh: And he might smell Misty's scent, and be nervous about her too.

Since he might also be dealing with prior stress, here's a few more articles that might be helpful.

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

And this one is catered toward ferals, but might have some tips for your guy.
Handling Feral Cats

And, yes, maybe look into Feliway, or calming treats.