New cat is...dirty? Help!

hippstr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

This is my first post after lurking these forums for a while.

Almost exactly a year ago, I adopted a young (now 2.5 or so) DSH tabby named Sloan (formerly Samoa.) He is very chatty, VERY high-energy, silly and mischievous, but occasionally very affectionate and loves head scratches. On his terms, of course. He is my first cat after growing up with dogs, so it was a little bit of a learning curve, but we're doing well now.

This is Sloan:

Now, the day before yesterday, I adopted a DLH who is about 2 years old named Sirius (formerly Hendrix.) So far he mostly likes to hang out under the bed, but comes out for food and snuggles at night while I'm in bed. (He loves to knead my face while he just purrs away.) 

Here is Sirius:

The issue I'm noticing:

When you scratch Sirius or give him any attention, he feels...gritty. That's really the only way to describe it. When he sleeps in bed with me, in the morning there is "debris" on the bed...little pieces of dirt, fuzz, etc. I'm assuming some of this is from laying under the bed (where I can't really vacuum,) but I'm wondering if cat grooming is a thing? I worry that this might make him uncomfortable or that he's not grooming properly.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
What cute boys!

Some cats do collect debris on their adventures.

We actually have to give our Random a brush every few days as he collects every bit of dust off the floor. One thing to check is that it is actually just dirt, not flea dirt, especially if he's come from a shelter. You can check by using a fine comb on him.

Most cats will eventually groom enough to get themselves tidied up, but there are groomers that will work with and bathe cats (your vet may actually do this too). If you are looking for a groomer, you can start by asking at your local rescues and shelters. They may be able to recommend someone.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hippstr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Ms. Freya! Sloan definitely KNOWS he is a handsome boy (everyone who meets him tells him!)

I talked with my boss when she got in this morning as she has two long haired cats. She recommended a groomer who will hopefully be able to help.

I did put Frontline on him last night, so hoping if he does have fleas that will be taken care of soon.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat's hair is similar to his (and Sirius is a beautiful boy!!) and his hair functions almost like a Swiffer duster.  He always has something going on up in all that fur.  But although he NEVER groomed himself when he lived outside (he would have sticks and leaves woven in his fur!) he is now a clean freak.  Between my brushing and his grooming he stays acceptable now.  He is now an exclusively inside, retired, grumpy old man, so at least he stays presentable.

I just get kitty litter in my sheets.  I swear he pulls the covers back and shakes his feet off, then pulls the covers back up.

Is he named for Sirius Black?  HP?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I use a human soft bristle brush on my long hair girls. If the kitty was an outside kitty it could have been from rolling on the ground.

If kitty doesn't like being brushed you can use a regular toothbrush and just use it to get them used to the feeling of brushing plus it doesn't tug on the fur as hard. I use it for under the chin/arm pits etc where they like to bite the brush-it wont hurt them to bite the plastic toothbrush. when brushing dip the brush in water to help the flyaway hairs that happen with long hair kitties.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but @foxxycat   I use a human brush too!  My old dude loves this one.  It's called Goody's tanglefix, I think it's really made for kids.  It's really soft rubber bristles.  He loves it so much I leave it in the floor for him.  I think I got it at the dollar store.  Do you have trouble using regular cat brushes?  I do, he acts like he hates them and I've spent quite a bit on 2 at the pet store that he won't let near him.  He likes this one and a natural-bristle human brush I have with a wood handle, that's all.

hippstr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is indeed named for Sirius Black @hbunny  !! I've always been a huge HP fan and he kind of looks Grim-ish to me :)

hippstr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the suggestions, I think I'm going to take him for a bath and brush at a local groomer and I can upkeep from there, but I think he just has a lot of "stuff" on him from the shelter and possibly roaming around outside before that. :)