New Cat Is Aggressive

Keachybean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I’m new here and have just adopted a new cat. She's been in my home for a week. She’s a 3 year old Siamese cat. My cat seeks me out for attention but as soon as I move, talk, or reach out to her she’s growling, hissing and spitting. Then she’ll roll over on her back and ask to be petted and then attack me even though I haven’t spoken and haven’t moved. She has me actually afraid of her! I ignore her completely if she shows bad behaviour. Give her space and don’t approach her. It doesn’t seem to make a difference, she isn’t warming up at all. I have a small home and when I talk even if I’m in another room, I can hear her hissing at me. This Jeckyl and Hyde behaviour is baffling.
To add to it, recently she had to have all but about 4” of her tail amputated and though it’s healed to the point where it should be fine, she literally attacks it. Biting, spitting and generally freaking out. I’m wondering if she always attacked it and did so much harm that it had to be removed.
I’m beginning to think she’s just nuts. Not at all what I wanted in a cat. . I know, patience is key but I need her to stop going after me.
Nanci

Last edited by a moderator:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. So sorry your adopted cat is having aggressive behaviour. I wonder if there is a connection between her tail injury and her aggression.

I've never used either, but I have seen Feliway and calming treats mentioned in other aggressive cat threads.

Hopefully other members will reply with suggestions. Meanwhile, I'll post links to some TCS articles that might have some suggestions for you.

Cat Aggression Toward People
Re-directed Aggression In Cats
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

HannahFerguson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She could have phantom limb pain or some type of ptsd and not recognize her new tail. She could also have feline hyperthesia (probably spelled that wrong). Good luck! I am dealing with a bipolar type attitude aggressive cat myself. Hopefully we can fix these poor creatures lol